Housing and Settlement Worker - Christie Welcome Refugee Centre
CHRISTIE REFUGEE WELCOME CENTRE is a Christian organization serving and advocating for refugee families by providing safe, temporary housing, initial settlement services, and follow-up support.
We are a charitable organization that operates a City of Toronto emergency shelter for refugee claimant families, with support from the City, Province of Ontario, community groups, churches, foundations, and individuals. We provide basic orientation to life in Canada, assist with the preparation of documents to make a refugee claim, make medical and legal referrals, and provide a community of support. At full capacity, our Emergency Shelter has 30 rooms with 76 beds to accommodate refugee families. Each family has a separate bedroom and shared bathroom facilities. There is a communal kitchen and dining area which provides all meals and snacks for residents.
Our Shelter Program has an immediate opportunity for a full time (i.e., 37.50 hours weekly) Housing and Settlement Worker. Working collaboratively, this front-line role provides initial housing, settlement and case management services and supports to Shelter residents with the goal of successfully transitioning residents to permanent or transitional housing accommodations and the larger community. The successful candidate will be highly relational, a collaborative team player with a genuine desire to assist and equip CRWC refugee families in their basic orientation to life in Canada. On an occasional basis, position may require evening and weekend hours.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Provide Housing Orientation consultations for all shelter residents once they are in a position to begin searching for housing accommodations; ongoing support includes providing updated listings, contacting prospective landlords and social assistance to schedule apartment viewings and assist with completing rental applications.
- Conduct admissions and Shelter Orientation consultations for newly arrived residents.
- Provide advocacy and referrals to assist residents in developing their settlement, housing, and financial goals.
- Deliver tenant rights education and budgeting information to ensure shelter residents are making informed decisions regarding their housing options.
- Work closely with residents to ensure that they are progressing through the refugee claim process.
- Establish rapport through meeting and providing basic needs, responding promptly to day-to-day inquiries, and fostering a sense of community throughout their residency at Christie Refugee Welcome Centre.
- Complete all case management and housing-related documentation for shelter residents on Shelter Management Information System (SMIS).
- Ensure that all housing services and housing-related statistics are tracked and updated in the statistical data base.
- Update Shelter Manager and Shelter Program team members on various resident case management progress and/or challenges via weekly Shelter Program meetings.
- Perform rotational On-Call duties and provide pertinent communication to CRWC staff through the communication Logbook.
- Amenable to handling a range of miscellaneous tasks when needed by Shelter Manager to enhance shelter residents stay at CRWC.
Educational requirements will include a degree in social sciences/social work or 2-year social services diploma. The successful candidate will have 2-3 years of direct experience in the Housing/Settlement sector, possess highly developed relational skills, an ability to effectively problem-solve, knowledge of approaches to de-escalate conflict situations, experience in report writing and SMIS, crisis intervention, strong organizational and time management skills. The successful candidate will understand the plight of refugees and possess knowledge of newcomer issues; engage others in a culturally sensitive manner; manage conflict situations with skill and diplomacy. In accordance with the CRWC’s’ Child Protection Policy, a satisfactory Vulnerable Police Check clearance is required as a condition of employment.
CRWC offers a collegial work environment and is centrally located at Bloor and Christie Streets in Toronto.
The Christie Refugee Welcome Centre is a place of welcome, safety and support for refugees.
Our Core Values
- We are Christian
- We respond to refugees with dignity and respect
- We are resilient and responsive to the changing needs of refugees
- We are committed to children and families
- We partner with others to serve refugees more effectively
- We are advocates for refugees
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to forward a resume with accompanying cover letter to:
All applications are appreciated; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Closing date for applications: April 18, 2021 at 11:59pm. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and interviews scheduled accordingly.