House Manager, The Array Space - ARRAYMUSIC
PART-TIME HOUSE MANAGER NEEDED – WORKING FOR A LEADING ARTS ORGANIZATION, DOWNTOWN TORONTO
Arraymusic’s mission is to ignite and sustain a passion for contemporary Canadian musical art within an international, interdisciplinary context. Founded in 1972 by a collective of student composers from the University of Toronto's Faculty of Music, Arraymusic has evolved over the past several decades to become one of the principal contemporary music organizations in Canada, presenting new and recent works by Canadian and international composers and fostering a creative community through its Array Space.
Three inter-related programs define what Array does, why we do it, and how we realise our artistic, organizational, and community-based goals:
- The Array Contemporary Music Program creates and presents new works by commissioning, performing, and collaborating with leading and emerging composers and artistic partners.
- The Array Creative Music Hub provides a supportive platform for a diverse community of voices through our management of The Array Space - our 1000 square foot multi-use performance and recording venue.
- The ‘Array For All’ Program pursues innovative and inclusive community programming with initiatives to delight and develop audiences of all ages.
Arraymusic situates its creative activities in a cultural context that goes beyond traditional definitions of contemporary classical music. We see our creative endeavours as in conversation with the pursuits of everyone who uses the Space, our resident organizations, key artistic partners and and those many who rent our Space for all manner of events (not only musical). Our activities are part of a global conversation, which has driven us to be at the forefront of web-based initiatives, live-streaming events, and making audio-visual records of our and our partners’ work available online through ArrayTV. It is in the context of this diverse set of cultural enterprises that Arraymusic works to bring its own artistic vision to audiences near and far.
Equity is the single most important challenge in today’s contemporary music scene, and our work as artists, artistic directors, and curators cannot be separated from the social and political contexts in which we all live and create. Arraymusic has committed to an Equity Action Plan to address this challenge.
Arraymusic is looking to hire a part-time House Manager to oversee the daily activities at The Array Space. Reporting to the Executive Director, this half-time position will take the lead in rental management, technical maintenance of the space and maintenance of it’s facilities, and will assist in event production and other duties as needed.
The successful candidate will be both a team player and a highly organized and independent operator, with a background and interest in music or theatre venue management and production. Communication skills and an interest in contemporary music, art, and theatre is crucial, as the ideal candidate will be the organization’s first point of contact with a diverse group of renters, resident ensembles, and all users of The Array Space.
Basic technical knowledge of audio, video, and lighting systems is vital as the House Manager will be responsible for essential music/theatre-style space maintenance throughout the artistic season.
The position represents a unique opportunity to work closely with a wide range of Toronto, Canadian, and international artists in a fast-paced creative environment.
Special note re. COVID-19: Arraymusic staff is currently working from home, but we will begin to reopen our space for limited rental use beginning November 2020 with a strict set of safety protocols. While work from home is encouraged as much as possible for the foreseeable future, the House Manager will be required to enter the space multiple times per week between users. However, our strict rental, production, and cleaning schedule for the 2020|21 season is designed to ensure limited direct contact with other users and a sanitized space to support and promote everyone’s safety.
1. Rental & Space Management
A typical day will consist of checking e-mail and voicemail for inquiries about renting the space, monitoring the rental system for new rentals, checking on equipment in Array’s space (stuff put away/identify anything that may have been broken from previous rental), checking on space signage, door locks and rental manual documents, monitoring/responding to the alarm system, being available by phone/on call for the duration of the rental, plus one hour before the rental starts (e.g. 10am - 11pm), and issuing invoices for rentals. If there is a new rental, you will identify whether a production team is booked/required, communicate renter needs with the AV & Production Manager, and check to see if an orientation of the renter is needed (if so, you will book their time and prepare the orientation documents).
- Respond to renter enquiries in a timely manner.
- Maintain operations documentation for the space and equipment for renters and Arraymusic staff.
- Give new renters on site orientations.
- Facilitate booking procedures for audio/video recording and streaming through the rental system and google forms documents.
- Inform the Executive Director of issues that arise that require outside services and contractors such as plumbing, HVAC, construction, etc, and assist the Executive Director with technical questions and venue access for contractors.
- Work with ED to ensure accurate billing and payments.
- Familiarize cleaners with the space and communicate with them to ensure it is regularly cleaned/sanitized.
- Maintain Rental System and calendars with accurate bookings, availabilities, billing and functionality.
- Ensure rental system invoice is paid each month, or year, to prevent service interruption
- Ensure all clients are informed of city, provincial and national requirements for public spaces relating to COVID-19 through documentation in the space and on the website, including ensuring legal waivers and health checks are signed by everyone entering the space.
- Code/distribute and occasionally change door /alarm codes; closely managing these.
2. Technical Management
A typical day will consist of checking the production calendar for upcoming projects, checking on tech equipment (inventory, damage, digital storage space), setting up or tearing down and tidying up as needed.
A. Maintenance of Equipment and Instruments
- Pianos (including scheduling tunings)
- Percussion instruments
- PA (mics, cables, stands, monitor, etc.)
- Cameras, Blackmagic Deck and Sony Switcher
- Projectors, HDMI cables, Splitter, projector switcher, screens
- iMac with Final Cut Pro, Compressor Digital Performer and Protocols
B. Assist AV & Production Manager as Needed
3. Assist with Social Media and Website Management
- Assist with updating/maintaining main website;
- Ensure rental system integration in website is fully functional; maintain and update as needed;
- Assist with design & implementation of yearly social media strategy based on performance season from Artistic Director and Marketing Plans by Executive Director.
- Assist with posting on Arraymusic Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
4. * Post Covid-19, when live audiences return: Help sell ticket sales at concerts/events.
PART-TIME POSITION, STARTS IMMEDIATELY
HOW TO APPLY:
Email through the CharityVillage website your resume and references.
SUBJECT: ‘HOUSE MANAGER JOB’
Please direct any communications to: Sandra Bell, Executive Director, Arraymusic
DEADLINE TO APPLY: OCTOBER 27, 2020