Hostel Support Worker - Fred Victor
Job Title: Hostel Support Worker
Position Type: Bargaining Unit, Contract, Full Time
Rate: $25.74 per hour
Hours: 37.5 per week, subject to change
Supervisor: Program Manager
Posting Date: July 20, 2020
Application Deadline: July 29, 2020
Locations: Fred Victor 24 hour services – 185 Yorkland Blvd.
Fred Victor is a not-for-profit, multi-service community-based organization that has assisted people living on low incomes in Toronto for over 125 years. We work in partnership with women and men from diverse backgrounds who face poverty, homelessness, mental health issues, addictions, and/or social isolation to address their needs and hopes and advocate for a more equitable society. Please see our website at www.fredvictor.org.
Fred Victor works with a highly diverse population of people and upholds the values of respect, choice and inclusion.
The FV 24 Hour Services unit is looking to fill several vacancies for Hostel Support Workers. The position provides primary support to the clients at the Edward Village Hotel, using a client-centered, anti-oppression, harm reduction approach. We utilize creative interventions to help long-term homeless people maintain shelter and meet their individual goals
We are looking for experience and skills working with clients with mental health and substance use issues in a 24 hour setting.
The position requires respect for, and expertise working with people who face barriers to service due to mental health, substance use, abuse, social isolation, immigration, unemployment/underemployment and history with the criminal justice system. The clients come from racially, culturally, and ethnically diverse backgrounds.
- Administrative tasks such as answering the phone, processing client intakes and discharges, and tracking statistical information
- Record client notes, intake forms, and discharge plans in accordance to Toronto Shelter Standards and FVC’s policies and procedures.
- Support the residents with daily needs
- Complete stats as assigned by the program manager
- Follow up in a timely manner with clients and other team members
- Clearly communicate with clients and other team members
- Provide appropriate referrals, information and advocacy to other support services to assist clients to meet the goals outlined in their case plans
- Use emergency building systems and follow fire procedures.
- Liaise and support external agency staff while they are onsite delivering support services to clients
- Communicate and demonstrate appropriate professional boundaries with clients, staff, and community partners and abide by all the Fred Victor Centre’s policies and procedures e.g. Anti-Harassment and Discrimination and the Staff Code of Conduct
- Crisis intervention and conflict resolution skills
- Work in accordance to the Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Other duties as assigned by the Program Manager
- Direct experience in a residential setting
- Experience working from a client centered approach with chronically homeless adults including those who, come from racially and ethnically diverse backgrounds, experience barriers to services due to physical and mental health, substance use, social isolation, abuse, sexual orientation, history in the criminal justice system, recent immigration, or who are transgender
- Position requires strong written, interpersonal, and oral communication skills; strong assessment, informal counseling, analytical, and group facilitation skills; and a highly developed ability to plan and prioritize work, while remaining adaptable and flexible
- Possess strong skills in crisis intervention, and conflict resolution and be able to have sound problem solving and decision making skills under pressure and be able to create and implement creative solutions
- Knowledge and awareness of the housing first approach
- Extensive knowledge of community based resources for low income people
- Ability to network with external agency staff to meet client needs
- Ability to work productively within a team setting and also independently
- Must have ability to constructively give and receive feedback
- Ability to work with limited direct day-to-day supervision
- Well-developed interpersonal skills that will produce effective and productive relationships with the residents, community, external agencies and staff of Fred Victor Centre
- Strong organizational and administrative skills
- Highly developed written and oral communication skills
- Strong understanding of the factors that contribute to homelessness and poverty
- Knowledge of after hour services in the GTA
- Literacy in Word, Excel, Outlook, Windows, SMIS
Employee works in office and resident areas of the Edward Village Hotel with travel outside to external meetings and accompaniments. The program is a 24-hour facility. All shelter employees must expect to be in potentially threatening situations on a constant basis. It is an emotionally challenging position and at times a physically demanding job.
Please submit a résumé and cover letter detailing how you meet the job requirements by
July 29, 2020 to
Applicants should quote “Hostel Support Worker” in the subject line
No phone calls, faxes, or mailed resumes please.
We strive to foster a workplace that reflects the diversity of the community we serve and welcome applications from all qualified candidates; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Fred Victor is also committed to developing an inclusive, barrier-free selection process and work environment. If contacted, please advise the hiring manager if you require any accommodation measures to ensure you will be interviewed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation requests will be treated with confidentiality.