Hospice Volunteer Coordinator - Scarborough Centre for Healthy Communities
Scarborough Centre for Healthy Communities (SCHC) is dedicated to meeting the diverse, holistic health needs of the people of Scarborough by addressing the physical, mental, social, financial and environmental aspects of their health. Through the promotion of healthy lifestyles and delivery of a comprehensive range of culturally competent health and social services, we cultivate vital and connected communities.
We are currently looking to hire a:
Community Hospice Volunteer Coordinator
Full Time (35 hours per week)
8 month Contract (to March 31, 2021)
Reporting To: Manager– Community Health Teams
The Community Hospice Volunteer (CHV) Coordinator will actively recruit volunteers for the Visiting Hospice Program. Working with communities throughout Scarborough, the CHV Coordinator will launch a recruitment program that will seek to establish relationships and increase the profile of the Hospice Palliative Care Team to facilitate volunteer recruitment. Additionally, the CHV Coordinator might plan networking and community events as a strategy to aid with volunteer recruitment. The CHV Coordinator will work closely with the Coordinator of Volunteers, Outreach and Training Community Hospice Program to support new volunteers.
Bring your passion for hospice palliative care and working with volunteers to this fast-paced and dynamic environment, as well as your program development and implementation experience to this role.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Conduct strategic outreach to recruit groups of volunteers to ensure the best match between the skills, qualifications, and interest in hospice palliative care;
- Conduct the screening process for potential volunteers according to accepted standards and SHCH policies;
- Maintain accurate statistics as required by organization;
- Ensure this program meets SCHC’s privacy requirements for all volunteer records;
- Conduct ongoing evaluation of this new volunteer recruitment program and implement improvements as necessary;
- Mentor staff to work effectively and cooperatively with volunteers;
- Working with other Community Hospice Staff plan and implement formal and informal volunteer recognition activities to recognize the contribution of volunteers to the organization;
- Liaise with other community agencies and associations to expand awareness of this new initiative;
- Prepare reports and news articles to communicate the contribution of volunteers to SCHC;
- Ensure that volunteer relationships with staff and clients are positive and assist with conflict resolution when needed according to established procedures;
- Performs other duties as assigned that are reasonable within the scope of the job
Scope and Accountability
The CHV Coordinator works closely with the Community Hospice Program staff and leadership to monitor and evaluate service delivery, program policies, and ensuring program is meeting its objectives.
Educational and/or Professional Qualifications:
- Post-secondary degree or College diploma in health, social science, adult education, or related fields
- Volunteer Management Certification from a Recognized Academic Institution is an asset
- Certification from the Canadian Administrators of Volunteer Resources or the equivalent provincial association is an asset
- Membership in CAVR or the equivalent provincial association is an asset
- Certificate in Fundamentals of Palliative Care or other related hospice palliative care education is an asset
Level of Experience:
At least one (1) year or greater experience recruiting and supporting volunteers and working in hospice palliative care.
Skills and Attributes
- Demonstrated ability to actively recruit volunteers
- Ability to supervise, train and support volunteers
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work with diverse groups
- Strong organizational skills
- Knowledge of community resources
- Strong communication, interviewing, listening and writing skills
- Capable of working effectively in a team environment
- Sensitivity and awareness of cultural, racial, economic, and socially diverse communities
- Computer literate in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Database Management etc.
- Valid license to drive in Ontario and access to a vehicle required
Significant Working Conditions:
Flexibility of hours – occasional evenings or weekend work may be required.
Remuneration: $27.28 - $31.84
Pay Band: F
Please note: All other conditions of employment are set out in the collective agreement between SCHC and SEIU.
Please apply in confidence by emailing a current resume to the attention of the HR Department at email@example.com
Deadline: by 11:59pm on August 14th, 2020
Note: Please quote CHV Coordinator in the subject line.
SCHC values equity, inclusion and accessibility. We welcome those who have a demonstrated commitment to upholding these values and who will assist us to expand our capacity for diversity in the broadest sense. We encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized, including First Nations, Metis and Inuit peoples, Indigenous peoples of North America, racialized persons, newcomers, persons with disabilities, and those who identify as women and/or LGBTQ2S+
Please note that all qualified candidates, eligible to be employed in Canada, are encouraged to apply.
As an employer, we strive for excellence as a workplace and are committed to building a workforce that enhances our capacity to meet the needs of the diverse communities we serve. SCHC is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders including our clients, employees, job applicants, suppliers and any visitors who may enter our premises, access our information or use our services. We respect and uphold the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and its associated regulations.
For more information about our programs and services, please visit our website at www.schcontario.ca.