Health Promoter - WellFort Community Health Services
WellFort Community Health Services is a non-profit, values based organization based in Peel.
We provide a wide variety of comprehensive care including primary care, dental, mental health and chronic disease management with a focus on illness prevention, health promotion and community development.
We work with local residents and other agencies to increase community capacity. WellFort is committed to providing inclusive, accessible and sustainable programs and services to a diversely rich community. Members of the WellFort Family include:
- Bloom Clinic
- Bramalea Community Health Centre
- Diabetes Education Program
- Four Corners Health Centre
- Health n' Smiles
WellFort is a respectful, caring, and inclusive organization. We are committed to embracing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity.
Requests for accommodation due to disability can be made at any stage in the recruitment process.
- Identify trends or issues related to the health status of priority groups
- Design health promotion programs and activities to enhance ability of marginalized community members to function independently, improve or protect the environment and support the development of healthy public policy and practice.
- Provide guidance to the Support and Care Navigator in the design and delivery of education initiatives and in fulfilling WellFort’s commitment to the client experience
- Conduct health equity impact assessments (HEIAs)
- Engage community groups and networks in support of community initiatives and represent WellFort at meetings with those groups.
- Represent WellFort at collaborative partnership meetings such as Peel Food Action Council, Peel Poverty Reduction Committee, COVID-19 & Community response, etc.
- Expand WellFort’s commitment to the client experience into all HP activities, including opportunities for fluid and mobile service delivery and raising awareness of anti-oppression.
- Identify assets and resources that can be used to build a healthier community
- Coordinate and align health promotion initiatives with delivery of community health education programs organization wide, including health education in primary and allied care and diabetes education.
- Collect data related to client experience via client surveys, focus groups, client advisory councils and disseminate knowledge using different knowledge translation tools
- Identify and promote activities, tools and resources related to health literacy, cultural competency, health equity, and anti-oppressive practices within WellFort.
- Plans and participates in quality improvement initiatives.
- Identify trends or issues related to the health status of priority groups and use the information in planning and advocacy work.
- Graduate degree from a recognized university in a relevant discipline or equivalent combination of undergraduate degree and significant experience in health promotion and/or community development.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience working for a community-based health services or community development organization in health promotion, community education or community development.
- Experience in developing health promotion programs, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, including conducting situational assessments and environmental scans to identify community assets, resources, challenges and gaps, and community development initiatives for WellFort’s priority populations.
- Critical understanding of theoretical approaches, methods and strategies required for health promotion activities and interventions.
- Experience working with communities and individuals who face barriers accessing tradition health care services such as poverty, discrimination, mental health and substance use issues.
- Advanced understanding and critical analysis of the determinants of health and social factors, such as power and privilege that affect individual, organizational and community health.
- Well versed in the principles of adult education.
- Excellent written communication and oral skills that meet the needs of the individual and/or community at the appropriate literacy level.
- Experience working with confidential and time sensitive documents and information.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to multi task in a fast paced environment.
- Experience working in a value based non-profit or social services organization.
- Ability to work independently and collaborate effectively in an interdisciplinary team environment.
- Proficient in the use of computers including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Canva, etc.
- Access to a reliable vehicle and a valid Ontario driver’s license in good standing is an asset.
- Ability to speak languages relevant to the residents of the organization’s community is an asset.
The successful candidate will demonstrate a willingness to participate in WellFort’s commitment to becoming an inclusive, barrier free health centre and an ability to work in an interdisciplinary team.
This position requires flexibility in hours of work to support accessible program service delivery and our hours of operation. As such the position entails evening and weekend work.
For more information on WellFort visit www.wellfort.ca
Salary range: $62,831- $74,148 plus benefits and HOOPP pension plan.
Interested applicants may send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: open until filled
Please put “HP0421” in the subject line.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.