Harm Reduction/ Overdose Prevention Worker - Agincourt Community Services Association
Harm Reduction/ Overdose Prevention Worker
Full time position (35 hrs/week)
Contract Start date: ASAP Contract End date: March 31, 2021
(with the possibility of extension)
Reports to: Manager of Homeless & Outreach Services
Deadline to apply is September 25th, 2020
ACSA is a non-profit, multi service agency addressing needs and empowering children, youth, newcomers, homeless, and otherwise underserved communities. Our core programs include housing and outreach programs, food security programs, newcomer services, youth outreach and therapy programs, child and family programs, early years’ programs, computer access programs, and community engagement.
Summary of Job Function
The Harm Reduction Worker/Overdose Prevention Worker will work with both service users and service providers, providing practical education and information pertaining to overdose prevention and response, safer partying practices, substance use safer practices, harm reduction, and addiction prevention and treatment options. The HR/ODP Worker will work closely with the Opioid Strategy Coordinator to develop and deliver services to the community, ACSA’s drop in spaces, and to our partners, with specific attention to a currently funded project at Youthlink.
- Outreach, in collaboration with team, to Scarborough-based community centres, drop-ins, shelters; provide clients with harm reduction and overdose prevention information and supplies.
- Develop and deliver, in collaboration with team, substance use (including prescription drug misuse)/ harm reduction/ overdose prevention/safer partying workshops to service providers and service users, including youth residing in shelters.
- Develop interactive learning activities suitable to youth for weekly scheduled outreach.
- Provide service users with referrals to substance use treatment and social services.
- Provide service users with information/education related to safer drug use and safer drug use techniques, both outreach and in-house at all ACSA programs.
- Ensure harm reduction supply distribution cabinet is stocked and supplies are ordered as per agency need (all ACSA sites)
- Take part in networking and information sharing meetings
- Coordinate effectively with the program lead, ensuring deliverables are met and workshops and events are planned in a timely and effective manner.
- Design media; develop program materials, harm reduction resources and substance use information for the community, including the development and management of the program’s social media accounts; Twitter, Instagram, Facebook
- Responsible for tracking and logging data, and ensuring targets of the Subspace program are met
- Perform the responsibilities of the position within the legislative and regulatory standards set out in the applicable Acts. Perform the responsibilities of the position consistent with the policies of ACSA
- Attend team meetings, staff meetings, supervision, and training sessions as required
- COVID-19 specific support and services: provide online group support services and ensure barriers created by COVID-19 restrictions are bridged, and client needs are met
- Monitor and evaluate program activities and make adjustments in consultation with program lead
- Log supplies given to clients in both agency tracking documents and NEO in an accurate and timely manner
- Develop tracking documentation and evaluation tools as needed
- Ensure tracking and logging of information is done in a precise and accurate manner
- Keep accurate records of program expenditures and submit reports and tracking documents to coordinator weekly
- Assist in completing bi-annual reports as per program requirements
- Relevant post-secondary education with experience or equivalent combined experience/education in the field of harm reduction/substance use services
- Experience delivering education sessions to a diverse range of stakeholders
- Experience and interest in working with youth (16-24 years of age)
- Practical experience working with a grounded harm reduction and client-centered approach
- Familiar online data tracking/ case management system
- Experience developing and presenting workshops and information sessions
- Familiar with harm reduction supplies, safer substance use practices, and overdose prevention and response
- Knowledge of drugs of abuse, including prescription drugs
- Understanding of biological and psychological drug dependence, including treatment options and harm reduction as it relates to all drug categories
- Excellence in crisis response and de-escalation
- Positive attitude and dependable with a very strong initiative and the ability to work both independently and in a team oriented atmosphere.
- Proficiency in the use of computer technology and various software applications.
- Demonstrated interpersonal, decision making, conflict management, critical thinking and organizational skills.
- Clear and concise verbal and written communication; able to write in both formal and accessible language
- Understanding of anti-oppression principles
- Sound judgment and good problem-solving skills
- Crisis Intervention, First Aid and CPR certification
- Ability to work effectively and professionally when under pressure
- Strong oral and written communication skills
Please apply via email (cover letter & resume in one attachment) to:
Attention: HR Generalist / Payroll Administrator
Please quote Harm Reduction/Overdose Prevention Worker Part-time or Full-time in the subject line of email
No phone calls please.
ACSA is strongly committed to fostering diversity within our community. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff including, but not limited to, women, visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, and/or persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression.
We thank all applicants for their interest in the position. However, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview.
If you are contacted by ACSA regarding a job opportunity and need accommodation throughout a hiring process, please contact Yelena Galochkina, HR Generalist at email@example.com. This address is for accommodation inquiries ONLY. Job applications sent to it will not be considered.