Graphic Designer - R&E Ocean Community Conservation
Location: Canada/Colombia (remote position)
Type: Volunteer (Initially a volunteer position, with the possibility to expand to a part-time position once additional funding is obtained).
Working hours are flexible but individual must have some availability between 8 am to 6 pm EDT.
Start Date: As soon as possible
About R&E Ocean Community Conservation
The R&E Ocean Community Conservation is a Canadian registered foundation which provides research and education in responsible conservation efforts across the globe supporting governments, NGO’s and communities in the sustainable development of their costal resources. R&E is led by a small but highly effective team of passionate and dedicated individuals who are driven by achieving lasting conservation impacts in areas of the world where it is needed the most.
In partnership with World Cetacean Alliance (WCA), Friends of the Sea (FOS), Institute of Marine Engineering, Science & Technology (IMarEST), amongst others R&E is coordinating a number of projects which aims to promote regulated responsible whale watching, anthropogenic impacts assessment of cetaceans and turtles, sustainable seafood and environmental education to communities and tourism. Through R&E we protect and preserve vulnerable species and their ecosystems as well as support, inspire and empower governments, businesses, communities and individuals providing sustainable socio-economic development, with the goal being that we can go around the world conserving and sustainably developing responsible whale watching and other coastal activities. This area of work will involve scientific research, social work and capacity building programs for local community members and tourists.
We are currently seeking an innovative and dedicated Graphic Designer to join our growing foundation. You will collaborate with other team members as well as with our marketing department to create effective and eye-catching images and campaigns to increase our followers base. Your job duties include the entire process of defining requirements, visualizing, and creating graphics including illustrations, logos, layouts, and photos both for print and digital platforms that enhance our accompanying text and convey an accurate message. Our ideal candidate has a substantial portfolio of successful campaigns. The successful candidate will be the one to shape the visual aspects of websites, flyers, posters, books, magazines, product packaging, exhibitions and more.
Your graphics should capture the attention of those who see them and communicate the right message. For this, you need to have a creative flair and a strong ability to translate requirements into design. If you can communicate well and work methodically as part of a team, we would like to meet you.
- Determine voice and messaging for graphic design pieces
- Schedule projects and define budget constraints
- Conceptualize visuals based on requirements
- Advise on best practices and optimizations throughout design projects
- Select colors, font, images, and layout
- Create visualizations (either by hand or via a software program) which convey accurate messaging and undertones as dictated by the project
- Present designs to stakeholders and applicable teams
- Develop illustrations, logos and other designs using software or by hand
- Use the appropriate colors and layouts for each graphic
- Implement feedback and changes when appropriate
- QA designs for errors
- Pass final design to development or publishing teams for release
- Work with copywriters and creative director to produce final design
- Test graphics across various media
- Ensure final graphics and layouts are visually appealing and topic
- Proven graphic designing experience
- A strong portfolio of illustrations or other graphics
- Collaborate with marketing team on projects concepts
- Familiarity with design software and technologies (such as InDesign, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Photoshop)
- A keen eye for aesthetics and details
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work methodically and meet deadlines
- Degree in Design, Fine Arts or related field is an asset
- Strong interest for environment/marine conservation and community engagement
- Proficiency in English (Spanish is an asset)
- Graphic Designer Job Summary
Please email a CV and cover letter summarizing your relevant experience, future aspirations in the marine conservation sector and outlining what you hope to achieve with R&E Ocean Community Conservation Foundation.
Include any links to relevant work you’ve been involved with. We will then get back to you after the team has reviewed your application and let you know if we would like to pursue your application.