Grant Proposal Writing - Plan International Canada
As the Grant Proposal Writer you will lead project design, proposal writing and editing, support donor engagement and support budget development, contracting and other donor and internal programmatic, financial and compliance requirements.
This role includes coordinating and liaising closely with other Plan International offices, project partners and stakeholders to ensure proposals and related materials meet donor requirements, are clear, compelling and well-presented. The Grant Proposal Writer will also lead the management of an automated grants pipeline, including all relevant reporting.
What does success look like?
- Working effectively with the International Programs Department to lead on the project design and proposal development for quality funding proposals for a variety of institutional donors.
- Actively supporting Plan International’s field offices through the design and development of project proposals, concept notes, expressions of interest, budgeting and contracting support, and liaising with other Plan International offices globally and regionally.
- Undertaking desk research and incorporating feedback from Technical Advisors in the areas of health, education, economic development, gender equality, climate change adaptation and protection to ensure technically sound project design.
- Developing supplementary materials such as briefing notes, idea notes, capacity statements, infographics and presentations.
- Supporting efficient proposal development processes, procedures and systems, including through training, grants pipeline maintenance and CRM (customer relationship management) database management.
- Supporting the achievement of the annual signing target for new grant acquisitions
As our ideal candidate you will have:
- Proven experience in grant proposal writing with a focus on the design stage, participatory project design, and an appreciation and understanding of gender equality
- Exceptional writing skills with the ability to research, analyze, synthesize and present information quickly and accurately in line with donor requirements and Plan International’s principles and approaches.
- Very strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to build productive working relationships within and between departments to produce common deliverables.
- Demonstrated knowledge and prior business development experience working with a variety of institutional donors e.g., Global Affairs Canada, World Bank, UN agencies.
- Broad-based understanding of multiple sectors in international development, such as education, health, gender equality and economic development.
- Familiarity with reviewing complex, detailed project budgets and contracts.
- Exceptional attention to detail in written materials.
- Advanced skills in MS Office applications (including Excel) and familiarity with CRM (Salesforce preferred).
- Exceptional project management and organizational skills with strong ability to multi-task.
- Experience working in cross-functional teams and matrix environments with ability to manage ambiguity.
- A flexible and adaptable work style; open to collaboration with diverse personalities; thrives in a fast-paced, evolving work environment and delivers under short deadlines.
- Proficiency in French highly desirable. Proficiency in Spanish an asset.
- Solid understanding of results-based management (RBM).
- A passion for mission-driven work and personal values aligned with those of Plan International Canada’s organizational values.