General Manager - Vancouver Curling Club
Job Title: General Manager
Reports to: VCC Board of Directors
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the General Manager is responsible for providing direction and management to the Vancouver Curling Club (“VCC”). This is accomplished by participating in strategic planning and ensuring the facility achieves its goals with respect to member satisfaction and attraction of new members, plus revenue performance all within the established operations plan. The General Manager is responsible for leading and/or hiring and supervising a staff team to develop annual plans, assigning resources, and measuring results against the operating and strategic plans. The General Manager is also responsible for financial management, sponsorship development and relationships between volunteers, staff, visitors and external partners.
Compensation: $65,000 - $85,000 annually + benefits
Duties & Responsibilities
- Encourages and supports the Board of Directors’ (“Board”) long-term strategic planning for the organization and participates fully in that process
- Liaise with Board of Directors (includes: attending Board and committee meetings, providing monthly operational reports to the Board, keeping Board aware of any operational issues)
- Liaise with Community Centre management and partners within the parameters approved by the Board and reporting results to the Board
- Create an annual budget, with staff input, for each fiscal year as part of the operations plan for submission to the Finance Committee and the Board
- Work closely with Treasurer and staff to ensure that financial procedures are carried out correctly as outlined in the VCC’s Policy & Procedures Manual, the budget is monitored, and that there is adequate cash flow
- Ensure timely billing, collection, and controls for all revenue streams
- Verify invoices, ensure payment of vendors
- Ensure all tax, payroll remittance and any other tax filings are prepared and submitted to appropriate bodies to meet required deadlines
General Club Programming
- Plan annual schedule for the VCC in conjunction with staff and Board
- Ensure all rentals and events are properly supported by VCC services (ice maintenance, lounge, collection of fees, publicity, etc.)
- Develop, manage and arrange all services related to the High School Outreach Program including: school solicitation, scheduling, and program development
- Organize and promote bonspiels; liaise with organizing committee for any non-Club run bonspiels
- In conjunction with staff, plan overall marketing effort and ensure its timely execution
- Solicit, negotiate and manage sponsorships and advertising
- Promote and reserve rental use of facility and lounge/other rentals
- Oversee all business operations that are conducted within the VCC including: ice making, lounge operations, pro-shop, etc.
- Liaise with the Vancouver Park Board and ensure that the VCC is in compliance with the Operating Agreement
- Liaise with external partners: Curl BC, Canadian Curling Association, and other curling clubs
Facility Maintenance and General Administration
- Establish and enforce safety protocols for facility and ensure that the facility is operating in support of VCC goals
- Recruit, schedule, train, and supervise managerial and administrative staff
- Ensure all VCC records (sport programming, human resources, administrative, and
- financial) are appropriately organized and retained.
- Ensure VCC operations meet government requirements and ensure appropriate Facility documentation is filed (business license, annual Societies Act filing, liability insurance, etc.).
- Deal with members’ questions and/or concerns effectively and in a timely manner if they are escalated.
Personal Attributes for Success
- a “people-person” with the capacity to respectfully relate to people at all levels and in a variety of work and community environments
- has an entrepreneurial mindset and is constantly aware of how the curling business is unfolding and how to create new opportunities
- able to challenge tradition in a constructive way and can be counted on to identify problems
- must be highly motivated and a self-starter
- well-developed leadership and management skills
- Demonstration of well-developed business management and leadership experience in customer or member-focused organizations
- Previous responsibility or appreciation for marketing communications / public relations
- Proven track record of establishing effective operating procedures and processes, maximizing the use of technology
- Experience with municipal and volunteer associations would be of value; have had success in achieving bottom line results
- Ideally a curling “enthusiast”, but as a minimum must be familiar with the sport of curling
The Vancouver Curling Club is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workforce. Our members thrive when we get this right. We aim to create an environment that celebrates the diversity of our members, community, and guests.
To apply please send an e-mail with your resume and an expression of interest to: firstname.lastname@example.org.