Full time Lived Experience Housing Support Worker - John Howard Society of Toronto
Full time Lived Experience Housing Support Worker
Function: The John Howard Society of Toronto is looking for someone with lived experience in the correctional system and who has/had experience with substance use, and has/had experience with the housing and homelessness systems/resources/processes, for this role.
The successful candidate will provide a subgroup of people from our Housing Programs with support to maintain their housing and engage with their community thereby reducing social isolation through the development of a community map and harm reduction plan (if applicable) with each tenant. While working as part of the Home for Good Housing Supportive Housing Team, The H4G Support Worker will provide harm reduction education, overdose prevention information/tools, community visitation and accompaniment, case management support, and assistance with tenant’s adherence to care plans through informal counseling, transferring life skills, follow-up, and advocacy, as directed by the Program Coordinator or Team Leader.
Support Workers will actively participate in supervision sessions, staff meetings, community and networking events/meetings including the delivery of community presentations and public speaking.
Responsible to: The Home for Good Program Coordinator.
Program Location: Some workdays will be spent at 3313 Lakeshore Blvd W while the majority of time will be spent in the community with clients.
Start Date: Tuesday August 11th , 2020
Hours of Work: Full time 37.5 hrs. /Hours TBD (based on client need) and will include some evenings and Saturdays on a rotational basis.
Salary: $33,403.50 annual (Salary Grade 2 on JHST Grid) plus a competitive benefit package.
1. Confidence and experience in working with people who have been in jail, people who use drugs, agency partners and community stakeholders.
2. Thorough knowledge of housing and homelessness issues as well as tenant’s rights and responsibilities.
3. Familiarity with and support for various practices in working with people who use drugs including harm reduction.
4. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are required to work in a one-on-one context and within a team environment.
5. Good analytical, time management and organizational skills with the ability to follow-up on issues or activities with clients.
6. Strong crisis intervention, de-escalation and problem solving skills to intervene in conflict situations.
7. Ability to complete intake assessments, document client interactions and provide client advocacy.
8. Knowledge of local community resources across the city of Toronto, especially in the area housing/homelessness.
9. Superior knowledge of the issues facing people who have been in the correctional system, who use substances/have used substances, and are/have experienced homelessness.
10. Written and computer skills must be sufficient to produce and maintain logs, files, records or statistical information.
11. Dependable and reliable.
12. Must display a non-judgmental attitude.
13. Must be interested in receiving training including harm reduction, HIV/AIDS, Hep C and sexually transmitted infections, as well as reintegration strategies/other barriers for people who were in jail.
14. Formal education in relevant degree/diploma programs in Social Work/Human Services is not necessary but may be beneficial.
Service Development and Delivery:
- To practice effective verbal communication and professional contact with clients, community partners, and stakeholders.
- To assist with data collection and participation in research/evaluation as directed.
- To complete all written work/documentation.
- To assist the agency in community/program development through the identification of service gaps.
- To participate in training, one-on-one supervision sessions, internal agency meetings and external meetings as required.
- To assist in the development and provision of harm reduction training to clients in the Program.
The John Howard Society is an equal opportunity employer and a United Way anchor agency. Should any accommodation be required, please let a Team Leader know prior to an interview.
This position will be covered under the union agreement between the John Howard Society of Toronto and SEIU Healthcare.
Please submit a letter of why you are interested in this position and a resume OR record of your relevant personal and/or work experience and/or education to Sean Bulloch at firstname.lastname@example.org by July 31st , 2020 5:00 p.m., 2020. Late submissions will not be considered.
*Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you.*