Foster Family Support Worker - Satori Homes Incorporated
Foster Family Support Worker
Satori Homes Inc. is a private Treatment Foster Care agency licensed by the Ministry of Children and Youth Services. We provide therapeutic supports in a foster care setting to children and youth between the ages of 5 and 18 years with social, emotional and behavioural challenges.
Reporting to the management of Satori Homes, the Family Support Worker is responsible for therapeutic and support services to children, youth and their foster families in order to promote family-based care. The Family Support Worker will provide support to children/youth and foster families both inside and outside of the foster home. Foster homes are located in Guelph, Kitchener/Waterloo, Dufferin, Cambridge, Brampton and Mississauga areas. Applicants must have a driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle as they are expected to travel to individual foster homes and to take the children/youth into the community. Some mileage and travel time is reimbursed.
Would this be a good career fit for me?
Are you committed to vulnerable children and adolescents, challenged with some tough issues? Ready to spring into action if/when a crisis arises? Equipped with quick thinking, confidence, forgiveness and persistence? Work well individually as well as part of a team? Creative, outgoing and able to take initiative? Have a great sense of humour?
If you answered “Yes” to all of the above, this may be the position for you.
Functions/Tasks and Key Responsibilities:
- Provide in-home and community based support to foster families, children and youth.
- Acts as a supportive resource to children/youth and foster families.
- Each foster child/youth receives 5-10 hours per week of FSW support, therefore applicants must be willing to work a variety of rotating shifts that are primarily evenings and weekends.
- The FFSW is considered a critical member of each child/youth’s Treatment Team and will participate in the implementation and delivering of supports that are outlined in the child/youth’s Plan of Care. Attendance at Plan of Care and Treatment Team meetings may be required to provide input / recommendations for treatment planning purposes in the areas of education, social skills, recreation, community resources, clinical needs and transitions.
- Provides advocacy and coordinates resources for foster parents and children/youth.
- May assist with orientation and ongoing training of foster parents.
- Identifies and addresses the professional development of foster parents, in consultation with their immediate Supervisor.
- Represents the program, and networks with other programs and organizations to build and enhance community partnerships.
- Assists in the preparation of reports such as Plan of Cares, Incident Reports, Admission and Discharge Planning and Medical log reports.
- Monitors and maintains program standards and practices.
- Supports open communication and teamwork within the program.
- Participates actively in supervisions, team meetings, and planning sessions with immediate Supervisor.
- May assist with facilitating groups for children/youth and foster families.
- Performs administrative duties at the Head Office as requested.
- Other related duties as required.
Qualifications and Skills Required:
- Must possess a degree / diploma in Child and Youth Work, or a related University Degree such as Child, Youth and Family Studies.
- Has a thorough understanding of issues related to child and adolescent development, the impact of trauma on development, child and youth mental illness, and developmental disabilities.
- Minimum of three years’ experience in a related field working with a child/youth population.
- Understanding of what it means to be trauma informed.
- Demonstrated knowledge of crisis management strategies.
- Knowledge of community resources/services and ability to cultivate community partnerships.
- Ability to assist in the development and facilitation of programs/groups/activities to promote relationship building, and to teach social, emotional and behavioural management skills.
- Flexible with an ability to easily adjust to change in schedule, location or responsibilities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
Part time and Full Time opportunities are available.
Salary and Benefits
To start, the successful candidate will be paid an hourly rate of $20.00. Full time employees are eligible to participate in a comprehensive benefits package
Please provide a resume and cover letter that addresses the above qualifications to email@example.com.
Satori Homes Inc. is an equal opportunity employer operating within an anti-racist and anti-oppression framework. We strive to establish a workplace that reflects and is enhanced by the rich diversity of the community we serve.
We thank all applicants in advance as only those selected.