Floor Counsellor - The Salvation Army
This position is responsible to supervise and support clients in residence, as well as manage the safety and security of the residential treatment floors after office hours.
- Appropriately model healthy life skills and socialization to clients
- Provide support to clients in residence and ensure guidelines are followed
- Process client belongings on discharge, & provide support to former clients by telephone
- Admit and orient new clients to the residential floors
- Manage the safety and security of the residential treatment floors after office hours, including supporting Residential Care staff in case of emergency
- Manage interpersonal crisis and conflict situations among clients
- Manage behavior modification strategies with clients (positive and negative consequences, warnings and discharges) in consultation with team and supervisor
- Effectively and safely manage distribution of client medications
- Supervise client urine screens, breathalyzers and smokerlyzer
- Conduct searches of client belongings and rooms in accordance with policy
- Serve meals & perform housekeeping duties, ie. stock supplies
- Train, assign and supervise client chores and work therapy
- Review and complete clerical duties as necessary (log & communication books, catalyst data, email reports)
- Provide clear and objective reports and documentation regarding client observations and interactions
- Maintain ongoing communication with other members of the treatment team
- Maintain a smoke, drug and alcohol free lifestyle while on Salvation Army property and on duty
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Degree or diploma in one of the human services professions
- Education and experience in working with men with addiction and mental health issues
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Education and experience in basic counseling skills, and knowledge of Abstinence Based Model of Treatment
- Crisis/Conflict Management Skills
- Diversity awareness and appreciation
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills
- First Aid/CPR Certification
- WHMIS training an asset
- Clear CPIC
- Proficient with Windows based computer systems, MS Word, e-mail and data entry, Catalyst
- Must be available for evening and/or overnight shifts, may include holidays
1 Full Time position available, Casual/Relief positions available
Please e-mail resumes and cover letters to: firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting "Floor Counsellor"
Resumes reviewed as received and not at posting end date.
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements
PLEASE NOTE: Toronto Harbour Light Ministries is a Smoke and Tobacco-Free facility.
We thank all applicant, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.