Financial Benefit Worker - Wabano Centre for Aboriginal Health
Financial Benefit Worker
(Full-time, Maternity Leave Replacement till July 2021)
Are you an innovative Indigenous social services worker who has experience with the various income supplement systems in Ontario?
Are you passionate about helping others on their healing journey?
If so, this opportunity is for you!
The Wabano Centre for Aboriginal Health is an award-winning Health Access Centre that provides holistic health services to First Nation, Inuit and Métis people living in Ottawa – one of the fastest growing and diverse urban Indigenous communities in Canada. Wabano is a fast-paced, client-oriented organization that models the Indigenous values of balance, respect and community interdependence.
Purpose of the Position
The Financial Benefit Worker supports community members to obtain appropriate financial benefits (Ontario Works, Ontario Disability Support Program, etc.) for community members in need of financial supports.
- Conduct intakes, assessments and follow up meetings with community members who are in need of financial support;
- Assist clients with obtaining income supports and other community services/resources to facilitate obtaining or retaining finances;
- Assist clients with completing and submitting ODSP applications, which would include attending appointments with clients when necessary;
- Broker resources and other supports for community members as needed;
- Refer clients to appropriate internal and external service as required in order to ensure on-going support;
- Develop strong relationships with partnering agencies and other Wabano workers in order to enhance support mechanisms for clients;
- Serve as an advocate for client/community members regarding access to financial assistance and other services, enhancing cultural sensitivity, and respect;
- Engage clients “where they are at” – on the street, in the shelter, or at a location they feel comfortable;
- Promote Indigenous beliefs, values and traditions that enhance health;
- Complete administrative tasks related to client care and organizational/funding requirements;
- Participate in Wabano events.
Qualifications and Experience
- Post-secondary completion in Social Work, Social Services, or other relevant program of study, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience;
- Experience in supporting clients in obtaining financial benefits with the Ontario Disability Support Program, and Ontario Works;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Thorough understanding of various income supplement/financial benefit systems in Ontario;
- Thorough training and/or experience in areas of trauma, family violence, abuse, addictions, homelessness;
- Ability and willingness to do street outreach in order to support clients who are homeless;
- Current Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Certification or willingness to acquire the training;
- Knowledge, sensitivity, and awareness of history, culture, and special needs of the Canadian Indigenous population;
- Knowledge of the principles and practice of violence prevention;
- Ability to follow direction;
- Ability to function in a high pressure/high stress environment;
- Excellent oral and written communications and computer skills;
- Knowledge of Indigenous and non-Indigenous community resources and related services;
- Excellent time management skills, ability to multi-task and prioritize;
- Current CPR-First AID level C or willingness to acquire the training.
- Preference will be given to those of First Nations, Inuit or Métis descent (please self-identify);
- Successful applicants will be required to provide criminal reference check for working with vulnerable people.
To pursue this opportunity, please submit a covering letter and resume to email@example.com by March 26th, 2021.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Wabano is committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If contacted for an employment opportunity or interviewing, please advise if you require accommodation.