Financial Analyst - Evergreen
We are looking for a Financial Analyst to join our team! As a Financial Analyst, your work will have a big impact on Evergreen’s business operations. You will be counted on to prepare, compile and analyze financial data and prepare budgets and financial reporting. At Evergreen, we embrace complexity and tackle opportunities with speed and agility, and our finance team is key to our success. We are a forward looking and service-focused organization; we get stuff done, and have fun doing it! And, we take great pride in contributing to the communities where we live.
Evergreen is a national not-for-profit helping make cities flourish. Cities that are low carbon, inclusive to all and sustainable at their core.
For more than 25 years, Evergreen has been making Canadian cities better places to move, work, live, play and grow. We have worked from coast to coast with governments, neighborhood groups, school boards, developers and residents, collaborating to create better communities.
About the Role:
The Financial Analyst will use analytical thinking, sound judgement and problem solving skills to support key deliverables of the finance department, assisting in the development of budgets, planning and other financial documents and reports. The Financial Analyst will demonstrate initiative in the review and analysis of financial processes, procedures and controls, making recommendations for improvement and assisting in their implementation.
- Review and post weekly transactional entries ensuring accuracy of information in the accounting system, including the application of correct tax treatment
- Review and maintain subledgers, ensuring accuracy to the general ledger, identify balances requiring follow-up and reach out to internal and external sources as required
- Monitor the Accounts Receivables inbox and act as the primary contact for Accounts Receivables inquiries
- Review and update internal tracking templates to prepare invoices to tenants, market vendors and event clients on a monthly basis ensuring accurate revenue recognition in the accounting system
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and ad-hoc adjusting journal entries with clear and concise supporting documentation
- Support the annual budgeting and monthly reporting and projections update processes through the creation and maintenance of reporting templates, the consolidation of departmental budgets and updates, and the accurate upload of financial information into the accounting system
- Support the finance department in ensuring consistent operating practices and controls, using strong documentation skills to update written policies and procedures on an as needed basis
- Support effective project accounting through maintenance and updating of the chart of accounts and the clean-up of unused project codes within the accounting system
- Support cash flow monitoring and forecasting through the regular review of cash transactions as well as maintenance and updating of internal template
- Respond to ad hoc requests for financial assistance from internal and external sources, including assistance in developing financial tracking templates and analytical tools or project spending reports
- Assist with funder reporting, using strong documentation skills to present financial data sourced from the general ledger that effectively addresses requirements set out in funder agreements
- Support the annual audit by liaising with external auditors to provide documentation and answer inquiries regarding accounting records and processes
- Demonstrate a commitment to good internal communications and positive workplace culture
- Model Evergreen’s core values
You excel in the following areas:
- Customer-focus: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of others in the development and implementation of programs
- Communication. Communicate in a confident, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques depending on the audience.
- Attention to detail. Will not let important details slip through the cracks
- Flexibility/adaptability. Adjust quickly to changing circumstances, priorities and conditions, while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency
- Analytical/Decision Making/Problem Solving skills. Draw insightful conclusions from information. Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency, risks and possible solutions, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Team Player. Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
You have the following qualifications:
- University or college degree/diploma (or equivalent professional experience); a focus on business administration, commerce, accounting or related discipline considered an asset
- Working towards or having completed the CPA designation
- 2 to 4 years of financial analysis/accounting experience
- Strong knowledge of reporting, including financial and management reporting
- Advanced knowledge of Excel and proficient skills with other desktop applications including Word and PowerPoint
- Not-for-profit accounting experience considered an asset
- Knowledge of SAGE ERP an asset
- Supervised by Finance Manager
- Position is based out of Evergreen’s head office at Evergreen Brick Works in Toronto
- Office or Remote-Work environment with on the ground presence as required
- Regular office hours (flexible), with some onsite and offsite evenings and/or weekends required
- Permanent, full-time