Financial Analyst - Corporate - Grand Challenges Canada
Grand Challenges Canada is dedicated to supporting Bold Ideas with Big Impact®. Funded by the Government of Canada and other partners, Grand Challenges Canada funds innovators in low- and middle-income countries and Canada. The bold ideas Grand Challenges Canada supports integrate science and technology, social and business innovation – known as Integrated Innovation®.
One of the largest impact-first investors in Canada, and with a feminist investment approach, Grand Challenges Canada has supported a pipeline of over 1000 innovations in more than 80 countries. Grand Challenges Canada estimates that these innovations have the potential to save up to 1 million lives and improve up to 28 million lives by 2030.
The Financial Analyst (FA) - Corporate position will play an integral part of the Corporate Finance Team, providing full-cycle accounting and financial analysis for Grand Challenges Canada (GCC). As the FA, you are an adaptable, proactive individual with a strong willingness to learn and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment. The responsibilities of the FA include accounting, budgeting, financial reporting, cash management, financial policies development, and maintaining internal controls and procedures designed to ensure the compliance with funding agreements and applicable laws and regulations.
• Performs financial planning, budgeting, compliance, documentation, expense analysis, financial reporting, reconciliations, monitoring and associated communications with funding agencies
• Prepare journal entries, general ledger transactions and funding contracts for compliance with related accounting, GCC and funder regulations
• Track funder reporting requirements and prepare funder reporting
• Assist in implementation of the new financial system, create/update user manual, reports and ensure smooth transition from old system
• Assist in preparation of quarterly financial memos for the Audit and Finance Committee and Board of Directors
• Assist with the annual corporate audits and funder audits, preparing working papers and working directly with auditors
• Assist with monthly, quarterly and year end closing procedures and assist in preparing the annual operating budget
• Prepare tax and HST tax forms
• Other related duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration
• Working toward completion or completion of a Canadian recognized accounting designation (CPA)
• 2 to 3 years accounting experience required, with grant management or non-profit experience preferably
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interface with the Programs team, funding agencies, external auditors and all levels within GCC
• Must be self-motivated, proactive, and have demonstrated excellence in organizing and prioritizing workflow in a fast paced and high volume environment
• Ability to execute projects with minimum supervision and to complete work within required deadlines
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Highly computer literate with advanced knowledge of MS Excel and MS Office Suite
• Strong analytical skills, knowledge and skill in applying analytical and evaluative techniques to the identification and resolution of grant administration issues
• Knowledge of Canadian GAAP, accounting, bookkeeping, laws, regulations, agency policies and guidelines, other requirements that affect grant program administrators
• Ability to design, analyze, and prepare financial reports
• Ability to monitor expenditures and maintain data
If you are interested in making your contribution at UHN, please apply on-line HERE. You will be asked to copy and paste as well as attach your resume and covering letter. You will also be required to complete some initial screening questions.