Financial Accountant - Oxfam Canada
Internal/External Posting Notice
Title: Financial Accountant
Department: Finance & Operations
Status: Full time, unionized
Location: Ottawa, ON
Immediate Supervisor: Manager, Finance & Administration
Salary: $62,814.53 - $82,659.63
Level: Band 2
Application Deadline: October 1, 2021
Oxfam Canada is an affiliate of the international Oxfam Confederation networked in over 90 countries as part of a global movement for change. Our mission is to build lasting solutions to poverty and injustice with a focus on improving the lives and promoting the rights of women and girls. We work directly with communities, partners and women's rights organizations to challenge the systems that perpetuate inequality and keep people poor. Together we seek to influence those in power to ensure that women trapped in poverty have a say in the critical decisions that affect them, their families and entire communities. That’s why we believe that ending global poverty begins with women’s rights
Oxfam Canada offers a generous compensation and benefits program, but more than that, we offer the opportunity to be a part of our global movement for change. If you advocate for gender equality, are passionate about women’s rights, and share our values of Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness – we want you on our team!
SCOPE OF POSITION:
The Financial Accountant assists the Manager, Finance & Administration (Manager FA) in providing organization-wide financial reporting to internal and external stake holders such as the Senior Management team, Oxfam International and external auditors. They play a coordinating role in consolidating the organization’s budget and reporting on financial performance. They provide accounting support as well as regular and ad hoc financial reports to all departments and activities.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES: (This is not an exhaustive list of the duties to be performed):
1. Accounting & Audits:
- Supports accounting, reporting and monitoring requirements of all departments, as well as requirements and requests from Oxfam International and/or the Confederation;
- Prepares transfer requests between bank accounts for Canadian-based accounts;
- Prepares monthly bank reconciliations;
- Reviews and approves donations revenue to be posted in accounting system;
- Reviews and reconciles GST/HST posted in accounting systems on a quarterly basis;
- Assist the Manager FA to ensure adherence to month-end closure policy and cut-offs dates;
- Prepares and analyzes monthly sub-ledger schedules of prepaid expenses, accrued liabilities and other accounts;
- Liaises with external auditors and donor-appointed auditors as required;
- Assists the Manager FA to ensure that required working papers are complete and accurate in preparation for annual year-end audit;
- Prepares and/or assists the Manager, FA in preparation of annual returns, federal and provincial statutory reports (GST/HST, T3010, PST, EHT, etc.);
- Supports HR with bi-weekly payroll processing, year-end payroll reconciliation, payroll transaction posting and salary budgeting requirements;
- As a member of the Finance Team, assesses current accounting operations, offering recommendations for improvement and implementing new processes.
- Works with Finance Team in the design and preparation of annual budgets and assists the organization in the budget process;
- Assists the Manager FA at inputting and maintaining budget information into accounting and budgeting systems;
- Assists the Manager FA in maintaining revised budget (forecast) in Great Plains and budget maestro (planning Maestro);
- Provide budget training and staff onboarding.
- Prepares CONSOL reports and submission to Oxfam International financial reports;
- Assists the Manager FA in preparation of quarterly financial reports to the Board;
- Assists the Manager FA in providing Management and Senior Management with ad hoc reports and analysis;
- Assists the Manager FA in preparation of monthly Cost Centre reports to departments;
- Produces timely internal Cost Centre reports as needed;
- Provides timely guidance where appropriate on financial matters to managers and staff;
- Designs specialized reports as needed;
- Supports the Manager FA in financial systems upgrade projects including research, implementation, and training.
5. Other responsibilities as required, such as:
- Supports accounts payable and receivables functions when General Accountant is absent by attending to urgent issues;
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCIES:
The successful candidate will require:
- Professional accounting designation (CA, CGA or CMA) or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- A university degree or diploma in related field (Accounting, Business Administration or equivalent);
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience in accounting, preferably in the non-profit sector/Non-Governmental Organization;
- Strong knowledge of the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles in Canada including their application;
- Strong technological skills in accounting software, spreadsheets, word processing;
- Strong skills in accounting systems (i.e. Great Plains or other), CRM (Salesforce or other), Budget Systems (Budget/Planning Maestro or other), spreadsheets, and word processing;
- Demonstrated a high level of responsibility and initiative in a similar position and work environment
- Demonstrated ability to make clear, reasoned policy and administrative proposals;
- Excellent analytical skills and proven ability to work to a level of fine detail;
- Excellent attention to details;
- Excellent communication, organization, and strong interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrated strong client service skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment;
- Excellent English oral and written communication;
- Demonstrated ability to analyse problems, make recommendations and exercise sound judgment;
- Adaptable, flexible, and demonstrated ability to establish priorities and meet deadlines;
- Willingness to sign and abide by the Oxfam Code of Conduct;
- Commitment to global justice, women’s rights, gender equality, and social change;
- Experience working in a cross-cultural setting is an asset.
- Fluency in French or Spanish is an asset.
** MUST be eligible to work in Canada **
We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Oxfam Canada is committed to diversity and equity around the globe and in our workplace. All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. We welcome applications from: women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, persons of minority sexual orientation or gender identity, visible minorities, and others who may contribute to diversification and share our values. If you are invited to continue the selection process, please notify us as soon as possible of any particular adaptive measures you might require.
Important Note: All offers of employment are conditional upon signing our strict code of conduct, subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for Oxfam Canada.
For additional career opportunities within Oxfam Canada, please visit oxfam.ca/employment-opportunities. Please note that we are not able to offer internships or overseas volunteer placements.
We welcome you to join our movement – sign up for news and updates today.