Financial Accountant - Africentric Arts
Africentric Arts is a non-profit organization that empowers children and youth in creative arts activities that reflect African culture. Africentric Arts is a platform for creative expression and presentation that allows young people to overcome barriers, develop talents, and gain meaningful skills that will enable them to thrive in many areas of their lives. We intend to bring out resistance factors that will influence young people to internalize the uniqueness of arts and culture. We hope they apply this knowledge in all attitudinal and behavioural aspects of their lives with pride.
Our mission is to create a space for young people to positively express themselves through various forms of arts and create opportunities for fun, education and career advancement.
Our goals are to create culturally competent programs that will allow young people to gain meaningful skills in performing and digital arts that they can utilize in their lives. To bring awareness of African arts and culture to young people and create opportunities for knowledge. To showcase young people's talent and create opportunities for personal, social and business development. To create a positive representation of Black culture, and help young people affirm values, embrace their ethnicity and identity with pride. To reduce risky behaviours that young people are often exposed to and create agents of social change. To develop partnerships across various sectors that will help strengthen the community.
Africentric Arts is currently recruiting for a Financial Accountant job position. The Financial Accountant will be responsible for performing a variety of bookkeeping and accounting duties as required. The financial accountant is needed to support Africentric Arts goals, maintain its financial health, and ensure compliance with essential statutory requirements. This is an excellent opportunity to support a worthy cause and give back to the community.
Financial Accountant duties and Responsibilities:
· Assist in interim and yearly audits
· Prepare financial statements, tax returns and other filings
· Report to the board and other stakeholders on financial matters and maintain the books and records
· Supervise, coach and train staff on financial issues and advice on ways to enhance operating performance
· Develop a budget and reporting system
· Assess the financial implications of strategic plans
· The ideal candidate must have a solid understanding of GAAP and grant accounting processes.
· Have a College or university qualification in accounting and a minimum of 1-year non-profit accounting experience
· Ability to be a capable team leader
· Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy.
· Self-starter who can work with minimal supervision. Works effectively under pressure to meet established goals and objectives.
· Communicates accurately, honestly, supportively and promptly with department and interdepartmental team members.
· Demonstrates strong planning, organizing, time management and interpersonal skills.
· Advanced proficiency in Excel and other products in the Microsoft Office suite.
Opportunity to serve as a director of a non-profit organization and develop personal and professional skills while gaining valuable experience. Also, you will have the chance to build new personal relationships and broaden business networks.
Job Types: Part-time, Volunteer
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com