Finance Manager - St. Paul's Bloor Street
St. Paul’s Bloor Street is a vibrant Anglican church located in the heart of downtown Toronto. We are looking for a professional, outgoing, dependable and enthusiastic individual with a passion for people, a strong desire to serve and learn, and a heart for church ministry. The Finance Manager is responsible for managing and coordinating the financial administration which supports the mission and vision of St. Paul’s Bloor Street.
- Oversee full cycle accounting and month-end process.
- Responsible for the integrity and accuracy of the church’s accounting transactions and records.
- Prepare deposits, post all transactions and journal entries after reviewing.
- Maintain contributions database, including weekly input and annual generation of Charitable Tax Receipts.
- Monitor banking transactions and perform monthly bank reconciliations.
- Maintain capital asset subledger, including additions and disposals.
- Reconcile all general ledger accounts including contributions, accounts receivable, payroll, etc.
- Record and reconcile investment transactions at least quarterly.
- Assist with and when required, process accounts payable and payroll
Audit and Compliance
- Coordinate year-end audit with external auditors and assist in the preparation of all facets of audit.
- Prepare all government submissions including T3010, HST and payroll requirements and other required filings.
- Diligently comply with diocesan, provincial and federal government requirements; enforcing adherence to requirements as needed and advising management on needed actions; preparing reports as needed.
- Complies with CRA legal requirements by staying up to date on new legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements, and advising management on needed actions.
Reporting and Administration
- Summarizes financial status and generate accurate monthly financial reports, including variance analysis report
- Substantiates financial transactions by auditing documents.
- Direct, and approve all financial reporting, including audited financial statements.
- Answers accounting procedure questions by researching and interpreting accounting policy and regulations.
- Maintains accounting controls by preparing and recommending policies and procedures.
- Supervises bookkeepers by coordinating activities and answering questions.
- Report to and provide staff support to the Audit & Finance and the Investment Committees including compliance with and regular review of key policies.
- Assist with stewardship efforts of the church.
- Appropriately direct risk management.
- Other ad-hoc finance and accounting projects
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Accounting designation (CA, CMA, CGA, CPA) either completed or in progress required
- Experience working experience in Finance and Accounting within the Charitable Sector, including an understanding of fund accounting and Charitable legislation preferred.
- Knowledge of accounting and payroll software is required. Knowledge of ACS Financial Suite and ADP pay-at-work, is an asset
- Proactive, energetic team player that’s able to work independently and in a team environment
- Proven ability to solve problems and provide an innovative approach to projects
- Advanced Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook required with a proven ability to learn new software applications
- Fluency with the English language – ability to speak, read and comprehend
- Willing to submit to a Police background check and comply with the policies of St. Paul’s
- Commitment to the mission, vision and values of St. Paul’s
- This is a full-time position: Monday – Friday 8:30am – 5pm, with occasional overtime. Immediately available.
Please submit your cover letter (including salary expectations) and resume to:
St. Paul’s Bloor Street Anglican Church
227 Bloor St E, Toronto, ON M4W 1C8
Or via email HR@stpaulsbloor.org (If applying via email, please put “Finance Manager” in the subject line)
No telephone inquiries, please. Applications will be reviewed as received. We thank all applicants, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.