Finance Manager - Pacific Assistance Dogs Society (PADS)
BE YOU. WITH US.
We serve communities that are greater and stronger because of their diversity. What makes YOU different is worth both celebrating and cultivating.
PADS is committed to equality across race, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, identity, ability and experience. We invite you to bring your whole self to our team, helping us to change lives, one dog —and person—at a time.
PADS is proud to be a member of Assistance Dogs International and an active one – participating in leadership capacities across the industry so that our work in Canada does not only benefit our own teams, but programs around the world.
At our core, the PADS Team is about connection: building relationships that have the power to transform both lives and communities.
These connections are woven between PADS leadership, staff, donors, mission, life-changing dogs, and incredible clients. Their work ensures each tiny puppy can grow from wee superhero to blue-vested certified assistance dog and that each team receives career long support. These dogs get up each day to make this world a little easier for those that need a helping paw.
Pacific Assistance Dogs Society (PADS), is a registered charity that provides professionally trained assistance dogs to persons with physical disabilities or hearing loss who reside in the western provinces of Canada. We also place service dogs with veterans and first responders with PTSD who live in Burnaby, BC and Calgary, Alberta, and accredited facility dogs with professionals who work with vulnerable populations across Canada.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Finance Manager analyzes and implements PADS financial and administrative plans and activities. This role reports to the Executive Director and supervises staff and volunteers who provide support for PADS’ finance and administration activities. This is a full-time position, in a hybrid work from home/office arrangement with room for advancement.
Finance and Accounting 50%
- Maintaining current knowledge of developments and legal requirements in the field of not-for-profit governance filings, accounting, and records management.
- Responsible for daily accounting operations including accounts payables and receivables, postings and loading back up for annual audits.
- Payroll & Benefits processing and record keeping of staff employment records.
- Prepare monthly cheque runs, direct deposits and EFT Payments
- Prepare all financial reporting, budgeting, forecasting and manage cash flow.
- Prepare and analyze monthly financial results and report findings and recommendations to the Executive Director
- Monthly finance meetings with Executive Director and Board of Director’s Finance & Audit Committee.
- Implementing and monitoring budgets, operating accounts, designated funding and related records, including recording and coding of financial transactions
- Complete monthly bank reconciliation and create year end paperless backup.
- Preparing and submitting all societies regulatory filings including but not limited too annual reports for BC and Alberta, Board of Director updates, bylaws, AGM reporting, corporate filings
- Reviewing, analyzing, reporting variance in revenue and expenses, generating income statements, YTD & Monthly comparisons, quarterly and expenditure reporting each month
- Produce annual budgets and projections for all programs, regions and overall PADS budget.
- Producing year-end financial statements and other periodic and ad hoc financial statements and reports, including those relating to applications for external grants and other potential funding
- Liaising with outside auditors conducting audits of PADS financial records
- Maintain daily bank account login and status updates for bank balances, transactions, investments, and Visa credit availability.
- Download General Bank account transactions daily for Accounts Receivable. AR is sent to the Donor Care Coordinator to complete donation transactions and prepare to create part of the paperless audit backup for the donation.
- Download General Bank account transactions daily for Accounts Payable. AP is processed and paperless audit backup loaded to SharePoint.
- Finance Manager follows all PADS 2023 Paperless Accounting Process and Protocols related to accounts payable and accounts receivables.
- Prepare and submit monthly reporting PST, RRSP,
- Quarterly reporting and backups for WCB Alberta and BC
- Prepare Annual reporting for Employer Health Tax EHT
- Annually update and renew Insurance policies for both commercial and directors’ liability insurance.
- Ensure financial reporting is compliant with Assistance Dog International (ADI) accreditation requirements.
- Track staffing hours worked, benefits, WCB, RRSP and percentage allocations for budget and year-end audits.
- Applications for gaming licenses and submit final gaming reporting for all events.
- Prepare and draw monthly gaming grant funds for department specific fund reporting and maintain appropriate documentation.
- Prepare year end gaming summary report and filings, as well as subsequent random gaming audits by the gaming policy and enforcement branch.
- Create and manage gaming fund allocations for expenses, draws, licenses and grant transactions daily to provide PADS with a report of allowed funds for draws and to create backup for year-end gaming summary reporting.
- Prepare, analysis and complete process and protocols for ongoing daily receivables and expenditures and ensure audit back CRA compliance in all Accounting related activities.
- Prepare and submit reports for GST rebates, quarterly and year end.
- Prepare and post reports for the year end audit amortization and depreciation of capital assets.
- Prepare and post deferred capital revenue for year-end audit.
- Ensure all electronic back up for audit is loaded on Share Point.
- Set up external payable accounts and maintain relations of said accounts.
Strategic support 20%
- Providing strategic advice and reporting as it pertains to the accounting function of internal accounting operations
- Forecast quarterly the cost of operations vs revenue for strategic planning of next steps
- Project Management of key strategic initiatives as assigned.
- Annual review of risk management procedures with Executive Director
- Annual review and maintenance of PADS YE financial system descriptions and procedures document
- Annual update of Board of Directors tracking pre and post AGM to accompany Corp filing and to determine Board Member years AGM stand down or voting.
- Overseeing the audit compliance, process, and procedures of the Donor Care Coordinator. The DCC is responsible but not limited to processing and sending written acknowledgments to donors, granting agencies, and others who have provided funding to PADS. Maintaining and updating donor database, producing tax receipts, cash handling and deposits
- Maintaining Society membership records and assisting with membership and fundraising campaigns.
- Auditing and recording annual YE Volunteer Mileage Expense Claims, processing and auditing tax receipts and mileage cheque exchange cheques, and crediting audit backup
- Run monthly donor transaction reports and sign off that tax receipts and posted transactions are correct (audit requirement)
- Reconcile monthly/annually external donation platforms for Trade Exchange and Vancouver Foundation
- Maintain donor database.
Payroll & Benefits 10%
- Maintaining and processing payroll and benefits records
- Onboard new hires to payroll and registration of benefits
- RRSP set up, calculations and monthly submissions.
- Prepare and send out employee TD1 forms, employee information and update vacation pay rates
- Track hours worked and department percentages for budgeting and year end reporting
- Ensure HUMI (HR system) employee records are up to date and accurate
- At least 5 years’ experience in financial management, including fund accounting, Audit requirements, not for profit accounting, financial analysis, financial tracking and reporting systems; or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- HR experience is an asset, including but not limited to payroll and benefits administration
- Not for profit experience is preferred
- Relevant undergraduate degree or equivalent experience
- Satisfactory results from the applicable Provincial Ministry’s Criminal Record Check: both at the time of an interview for this position and throughout the duration of employment at PADS.
- Efficient use of PCs; the Internet; and software that includes database management within Salesforce, HUMI, Simply Accounting, and MS Word, Excel, and Outlook. Ability to learn new software.
- Valid BC Driver’s License, at a minimum level of Class 5.
- Strong business acumen and decision-making ability.
- Team player, articulate and professional communicator, verbally and in writing.
- Skilled in drafting and polishing financial and administrative documents with accuracy.
- Timeliness, and attention to details.
- Experienced in successful problem-solving and organizational skills.
- Proficient in supporting staff members or volunteers with accounting protocols and processes for audit compliance.
- Solid record of having engaged in positive, productive working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- High level of earned trust, appropriate confidentiality and sound judgment in conduct and interactions.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule and occasionally, additional hours during the work week and on weekends, as business operations require.
Salary is commensurate with experience.