Finance Manager - House of Friendship
House of Friendship – Finance Manager
At House of Friendship we believe in what we are doing. We get out of bed each day to make a difference in our community; to walk with and to serve. We are not happy with the status quo. We get energy from ongoing learning and growth. We lead with passion and believe without a doubt that everyone deserves to belong and thrive. We live and breathe our values of Compassion, Inclusion, Justice, Dignity and Hope. And we have fun!
Sounds pretty great doesn’t it? It is!
We are seeking an experienced leader who is passionate about developing people and teams to provide leadership for the assigned programs. Reporting to the Finance Director, this position will lead, develop and support the team and is responsible for the healthy and safe operation of the programs; ensuring a physically and psychologically healthy work environment for all team members.
You will be responsible to oversee the day-to-day financial operations and provide leadership for all financial activities including budgeting, internal/external reporting, and regulatory requirements. You will also be responsible for maintaining financial policies and procedures to drive effectiveness and efficiency.
- Lead, develop and support the team working within assigned programs, including staff, volunteers and students
- Responsible for the healthy and safe operation of the programs; ensuring a physically and psychologically healthy work environment for all team members
- Oversee the day-to-day financial operations of the organization including A/R, A/P, bank reconciliations, payroll and other transactions
- Develop and maintain GAAP compliant financial recording systems that meet or exceed all regulatory and funding requirements
- Using insights based on analysis and accounting/finance best practices, establish and maintain organizational wide financial policies and procedures to minimize financial risk and increase the organization’s effectiveness and efficiency
- Review financial data and oversee period end and year-end activities, including reporting both internally and externally to funders, management, and other stakeholders
- Provide guidance and support to the finance team to optimize excellence in use, analysis, reporting and processes within the accounting database
- Prepare and coordinate year-end audit
- Prepare budgets and projections for individual programs and the organization as required
- Assist in the preparation of funding and grants submissions and reports with respect to financial components
- Oversee the administration of the main office
- Support Financial Director with ad hoc projects/tasks as assigned
- Commitment to understand and uphold the mission and values of House of Friendship is expected;
- Exemplary emotional intelligence, resilience, communication, conflict management and problem solving skills required;
- Ability to work professionally as a team member with staff, participants and community members;
- Build solid and fruitful relationships with community partners and agencies to increase opportunities for innovation and positively impact outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain a positive work environment including the ability to navigate change in a positive and productive manner;
- Experience or strong interest in working with diverse populations including people from various cultural background, income levels, and sensitivity to their needs;
- Strong intercultural competency, with the ability to recognize and respect cultural diversity, able to be diplomatic and sensitive to the dynamics of a culturally diverse workplace;
- Experience with and commitment to using an anti-racism, anti-oppressive and trauma informed approach in consultation, program design, evaluation processes and service delivery;
- Must be dependable, professional, flexible, a team player, and have a positive attitude;
- Respectful, supportive and engaging approach to persons with physical and/or cognitive disabilities, addictions, mental health and other life challenges;
- Excellent project, timeline and deadline management skills including skills in logistics and planning and detailed record keeping;
- Able to model effective problem solving by recognizing the human, interpersonal and technical sides of a problem, show flexibility and explore possible solutions in an innovative and creative way.
- Driver license class (G) and access to a personal vehicle considered an asset
- An accounting designation, (CPA or equivalent) preferred with a bachelor’s degree in business administration, finance or related field
- Minimum five years of progressive accounting or finance experience in a not for profit setting is preferred, knowledge in Financial Edge NXT is an asset
- Three years of experience in a financial management position leading a financial/accounting team
- Proficiency in financial systems and Microsoft Office suite
- Very strong leadership, team building and decision making skills required including demonstrated strength in coaching and developing people and teams.
- Experience with coaching and mentoring for personal growth and development, including the ability to coach others through conflict
- Demonstrated skill in building and maintaining productive relationships (staff, community partners, funders)
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in written form
- Excellent strategy and analysis skills with high attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong ability to work Independently and be resourceful and adaptable
- 37.5 hours per week, generally daytime, weekday hours.
- Very occasional pre-scheduled evening and weekend hours to meet the needs of the programs.
- Working with and encountering participants who may be under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and/or experiencing symptoms of mental illness can be expected.
If you are as passionate as we are about serving the community, let’s talk.