Finance Manager - Canadian Mental Health Association, York and South Simcoe
POSTING DATE: February 12, 2021
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
Message about our hiring and operating practices during the COVID-19 pandemic
The Canadian Mental Health York Region and South Simcoe branch (CMHA-YRSS) is continuing to provide much-needed mental health services. As an organization, we are protecting our staff through supporting either working from home, or physical distancing, and other public health directives for essential services staff working on-site. Rest assured that your well-being is our top priority and we have appropriate health and safety measures in place at each stage of the recruiting process and throughout our operations
We are hiring a Finance Manager in our Finance Department.
Are you a Financial Professional who is excited about bringing your financial skills and managerial experience to an innovative, award winning organization that is continuing to grow and expand? Do you pride yourself on managing financial operations within a non-for profit, healthcare environment? Then this is the role for you!
Closing Date: Until Filled
Permanent: Full-time, 35 Hours per Week, Evening Hours and Weekends may be required
Benefits: Excellent Benefits Package: Full Extended Health & Dental, Life Insurance, EAP, STD, LTD, & Pension Plan. Generous paid time off including vacation, sick, personal days.
Competition #: 2021-012
Location: In accordance with current public health directives, training will be available both remotely (i.e. via teleconference and videoconferencing technologies) as well as onsite while respecting physical distancing. During the current COVID-19 outbreak, work can be completed primarily from home with equipment provided by CMHA.
The Finance Manager will work primarily out of the Newmarket Office (1101 Nicholson Road, Newmarket, ON) with flexibility to work from home once the public health directives are lifted and the orientation/training period is completed. May be required to occasionally travel within York Region & South Simcoe for training or meetings.
The Finance Manager reports to the Vice President, Finance and Facilities and is responsible for:
- Oversees daily management of the Finance Team (includes Finance Assistants and Payroll & Benefits Administrators) and utilizes ability to think outside the box and creative license to provide operational leadership and direction to the team using a management style that is visionary, creative and collaborative;
- Responsible for the oversight and preparation of monthly financial statements and year end audited financial statements
- Reviews financial statements, reconciliations, and assigned working papers prepared by accounting staff;
- Monitors the Organization’s cash and investment accounts;
- Prepares and reviews required documents for various management and Board of Directors meetings;
- Works with clinical and administrative business units on financial aspects of financial accounting and reporting;
- Performs continuous assessment all processes and evaluates ways to reduce the timing to close the financial period;
- Collaborates with other departments to support the preparation of Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (MOHLTC), Central Local Health Integration Network (CLHIN) and/or other funders documents and reports;
- Establishes and maintains financial reporting policies and procedures and reviews financial reports to ensure compliance with GAAP and other rules of professional conduct of the Institute of Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario, MIS Guidelines, Multi-Sector Service Accountability Agreements (M-SAA); Organization’s financial Signing Authority and Delegation Policies ; all relevant Organization financial directives, policies and guidelines; and the Canadian Public-Sector Accounting Standards (for not-for-profit organizations);
- Oversee the preparation, processing and submission of the bi-weekly payroll, time management, paid time off, benefit and pension administration as well as remittances required by law, and other third-party payments (i.e. garnishees, government taxes, pension contributions, etc.).
- Oversee, coach and provide guidance to Payroll & Benefits Administrators on day to day operations and functions related to payroll, time management, paid time off and benefits/pension. Review reports relating to earnings, tax summaries, deductions, leave, disability and wages, including ROEs, T4s, and other forms as required;
- Provides direction/leadership for the team as a coach and mentor; defines accountabilities while directing and supporting the achievement of performance goals, within functional area of responsibility;
- Post-secondary degree in a relevant field (e.g. Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration and/or relevant field is required.)
- Degree or relevant experience in Health/Hospital Administration, Business Administration, or related field is required
- CPA (CA, CMA, CGA), required
- PCP or CPM an asset
- A minimum of seven years’ experience in finance in a number of functional areas including public accounting, payroll and benefits in not-for-profit and/or healthcare and policy development etc.
- A minimum of three years’ experience in a senior Finance role such as a Senior Financial Analyst or Manager
- Strong knowledge in various aspects of applicable legislation including Employment Standards as it relates to Payroll, Time Management and Paid Time Off
- Previous experience in working in Human Capital Management systems; UltiPro experience an asset
- Strong computer skills including PowerPoint, Excel (Macro’s an asset), Word, Visio and, Power BI (an asset), Microsoft Dynamics GP (an asset)
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills; able to prioritize
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent problem-solving and decision- making skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Effective client relationship building skills; understanding the client’s needs and background
- Ability to work independently and co-operatively as part of a team, management, board of directors, stakeholders and partners such as external vendors
- Ability to adapt to change and navigate through ambiguous situations
- Project management skills
- A valid Canadian driver’s license, a minimum $1,000,000 third party liability insurance and reliable vehicle
- A satisfactory Police Check
The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by an individual assigned to the job. This information is not constructed to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel in the job.
This position reports to, and is supervised, by Vice President, Finance and Facilities.
Working Conditions: Ability to work at computer for extended periods of time.
Disclaimer: In keeping with mental health reform, best practices, funding and direction this position may later require knowledge, skills, abilities and working conditions not noted here.
Why work for CMHA York Region?
We are a team committed to our vision of mental health support for all. That means we respect that our clients are the experts in their recovery journey and that our role is to provide support, resources and opportunities based on their hopes and dreams. It means that we foster and encourage an entrepreneurial spirit to create, implement, and sustain innovative, evidence based and transformational impact. We seek out and build partnerships, collaborate and share knowledge to be the most culturally competent team and fully integrated service delivery partner.
Our team cares for each other. We have our own team values of trust, respect, teamwork and communication. We have been a National Non-profit Employer of Choice for five consecutive years as well as a recipient of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures.
If you are interested in this opportunity, follow the link below and click on the “Apply Now” button in the top right corner of the page to proceed to upload your cover letter and resume:
Complete the application form and submit the following:
- Cover letter with 300 words or less and tell us why you would want the Finance Manager role and why you should be considered for the position (PDF or Word)
- Resume (PDF or Word)
CMHA-YRSS supports the recovery of people with mental illness and promotes diversity in the workplace. We welcome all applicants including persons with lived experience, women, aboriginal people, people with disabilities, and members of the 2SLGBTTQ+, visible minority and immigrant communities to apply.
While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To request this posting in an alternate format or to request accommodation in the application process, email AODA@cmha-yr.on.ca