Family Support Worker - Opal Family Services
Opal Family Services:
Opal Family Services is a not for profit, charitable organization that provides support and programs to families who have a child or adult dependent with an intellectual disability.
Key Position Objectives:
A Family Support Worker (FSW) at OPAL Family Services identifies the needs of clients and their families. The FSW works towards creating a detailed, holistic respite plan that best meets the needs of each family. The FSW connects families to multiple community based and governmental resources, advocates for families, and provides practical assistance in navigating these systems. The FSW coordinates volunteers and facilitates group programming focused on respite as well as social/recreational activities.
- Managing a caseload.
- Recruiting, screening, and matching volunteers and paid workers with families.
- Referring families to appropriate resources and services.
- Designing and facilitating a variety of inclusive groups focused on respite and social/recreational opportunities.
- Maintaining our agency website, preparing newsletters, and writing proposals for grants to enhance our programs.
- Planning small, medium, and large events including potlucks, fundraisers, and social events.
- Working independently as well as collaboratively with the Opal staff and other community agencies.
- Advocating on behalf of the families as needed.
- Minimum educational requirement is a degree in social work, education, psychology, sociology, kinesiology, health sciences, or a related field
- Any additional training in group facilitation, ABA, Non-Violent Crisis Intervention, Web design, or marketing will be considered an asset
- First Aid/CPR Certified
Essential Skills and Other Requirements:
- Excellent writing skills to document client interactions, promote our programs, and seek additional funding to enhance our programs.
- Computer skills (word, excel, google forms, zoom, social media, website management etc.)
- Excellent time management skills to work independently to meet deadlines and prioritize tasks.
- Problem solving, creative thinking, and ability to collaborate and support our tight knit team.
- Excellent driving record, insurance to drive clients
- Copy of a clear criminal record check and social development check is required
- Should you be required to use your own vehicle for Opal related business, you will be reimbursed 0.41 cents per kilometer.
- You will submit a mileage claim form and be reimbursed from the office to the required destination and then back to the office.
Details of the position:
- This position has been funded through a grant from the United Way. The position will start as soon as possible and end May 29th 2021 with the possibility of extension subject to renewed funding.
- Wages will be based on an annual salary of $39,000-$46,000 depending on education and years of experience. Health Benefits with Blue Cross will be covered at %50 after probationary period.
Please submit applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org