Family Law Advocate - Chimo Community Services
Family Law Advocate
Date of Posting; July 31, 2020
Closing Date: Aug 14, 2020
Commencement Date: As soon as possible
Job Title: Family Law Advocate
Classification: Integrated Program Coordinator 1 / Victim Service Worker
Grid Level 12
Program: Family Law Advocacy
Reports to: Program Manager
Hours of Work: 35 hours/week. Flexible hours, including possible evenings and weekends
The Family Law Advocate will oversee day-to-day operation of the Family Law Advocacy service, support volunteers in service delivery, and assist clients directly on family law related matters.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assess clients’ suitability to the program and identify clients’ legal and non-legal needs; prioritize urgent needs and assist clients in action planning and navigating personal and systemic barriers.
- Provide timely and appropriate internal & external referrals where needed.
- Provide legal information to clients to assist in early resolution of issues.
- Assist clients in obtaining summary legal advice through available resources and connecting them with program volunteers for additional support as needed.
- Support program volunteers and clients with information and referral to dispute resolution (DR) services within the family justice system where appropriate; assess suitability of DR in individual client cases; if applicable, assist volunteers and clients in preparation and orientation of the DR process.
- Prepare memoranda and other forms of correspondence for clients for the purpose of outlining clients’ legal issues and desired outcomes for third parties, including lawyers and other legal professionals.
- Where appropriate, assist clients with completing forms and preparing other documents and delegating associated tasks to program volunteers.
- Accompanying clients to legal appointments and court as needed to assist with orientation and connection with relevant services such as duty counsels, as well as to provide emotional / moral support.
- Facilitate Public Legal Education (PLE) workshops to inform public on key family law topics.
- Plan and implement program activities and events in consultation with supervisor.
- Provide input and recommendations to supervisor in program development and growth, formulation of program policy and procedures, and program evaluation.
- Liaises with community service providers and other professionals to coordinate and expand service provision, facilitate referrals to the program and represent the organization in external events.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in direct program delivery, preferably in community social services / family law or poverty law advocacy sector, or a combination of education, training and experience.
- A diploma in social services related field.
- Demonstrable knowledge of relevant family law legislations, including child protection and family maintenance related legislations, as well as family mediation / dispute resolution processes.
- Experience with client case management and ability to work effectively under multiple deadlines.
- Experience with designing and facilitating public presentations and/or workshops.
- Experience with volunteer or staff management and leadership.
- Experience with networking and relationship building in the community.
- Demonstrated sensitivity and responsiveness to cultural differences and commitment to the value of cultural competency.
- Conflict resolution, non-violent crisis intervention / de-escalation qualifications considered an asset.
- Additional languages (e.g. Mandarin, Cantonese, etc.) spoken considered an asset.
- Satisfactory completion of a Criminal Records Search is a requirement for this position.
- Use of a vehicle and valid BC Drivers’ License.