Facilities Security Staff Member - The Bishop Strachan School
The Bishop Strachan School (BSS) is a truly unique organization that stands apart as a leader in education, and particularly in education for girls. BSS is a year round, day and boarding school located in mid-town Toronto. A beautiful setting and an extraordinary staff and faculty, round out the many opportunities for growth in this environment. As the Facilities Staff Member, you will work with highly experienced colleagues in a professional and creative team environment. Excellence is the defining attribute of BSS. We are seeking exceptionally skilled and experienced candidates to fill the position of:
Facilities Security Staff Member
Reports to: Director of Facilities Operations
Liaises with: Facilities Staff
Summary of Position:
The Facilities Security Staff Member is responsible for providing front-line security services in order to maintain a safe and secure environment for all students, staff, boarders, families, visitors and service providers to BSS after school hours and to ensure the safety of the building. As such, it is expected that the Facilities Security Staff Member will meet, greet and direct all arrivals in a friendly, professional and efficient manner ensuring the school’s security procedures are appropriately handled and will complete patrols as scheduled. The Facilities Security Staff Member works in a procedural, consensus-building manner with faculty, students, parents, and staff in keeping with the school’s vision, philosophy and strategic plan.
Specific Accountabilities Include:
- Provides professional and friendly customer service and direction to members of the BSS community and the public
- Tracks and monitors visitors and assigns appropriate security documentation
- Monitors the school’s weekly room booking calendar to understand school and external group events
- Answers main phone lines
- Assists with traffic flow during school dismissal periods throughout the year
- Monitors the main lobbies, entrances and other areas of the school through rounds and by utilizing the closed circuit television (CCTV) and access control system
- Establishes routine interior and exterior patrols during shift
- Performs regular audit of CCTV system to ensure all cameras are recording and reports any defective cameras to Facilities team
- Maintains written reports and records through security documentation reports
- Continually strives to improve security measures within the school
- Creates and maintains accurate school security policies and procedures
- Adheres to all security policies and procedures
- Works collaboratively with the Facilities team to respond to emergencies (i.e. fire alarms, water leaks, power failures, etc.) and with the Administrative Specialists Team to ensure proper protocols are adhered to
- Follows effective and appropriate Health and Safety practices
- Participates in regular Professional Learning and contributes to the department’s body of knowledge
- Other related duties as assigned
Skills, Experience and Attributes Include:
- Strong customer-service focus
- Excellent interpersonal skills, both in person and over the phone
- Demonstrated professionalism including reliability
- Proven ability to be vigilant with respect to security issues
- Ability to observe accurately, recall faces, names, descriptive characteristics and facts of incidents and locations
- Working knowledge of current effective security measures
- Working knowledge of fire prevention, fire control, evacuation and lockdown procedures
- Valid Ontario Security Guard License is an asset
- Proven ability to exercise good judgment
- Ability to use computer software and computer technology at an intermediate level
- Effective team-player who also has the ability to work independently
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to take initiative
- Sense of humour
Terms and Conditions:
This position works in a dynamic, collaborative work environment and will be covering the afternoon shift. It offers an attractive compensation package including dental, extended health, and pension benefits.
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to Human Resources at The Bishop Strachan School by email to email@example.com indicating Facilities Security Staff Member in the subject line.
We thank all candidates in advance.
We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview.
We believe that diversity in our school fosters a rich, inclusive and creative environment.
We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school
and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
Visit us at www.bss.on.ca