Exempt Administrative Assistant - Hospital Employees' Union
Employment opportunity: Exempt Administrative Assistant
Are you an experienced senior level Administrative Assistant interested in working for a respected health care union with a large and diverse membership, and a broad social justice mandate? Do you have a strong commitment to progressive social change and the promotion of fair wages and safe and healthy workplaces? If so, we want to hear from you.
The Hospital Employees’ Union (HEU) is looking for an organized and skilled individual to fill the position of Exempt Administrative Assistant at its provincial office in Burnaby, British Columbia. This is a permanent, full-time position that is an integral part of the senior leadership’s administrative support team.
Reporting to the Administrative Manager, Exempt Administrative Assistants provide a wide range of confidential support services to assist with management of the HEU and representation of HEU members, consistent with labour principles and the goals of HEU. They provide support in areas of Human Resources and/or Finances, coordinate travel and accommodation, may liase with trustees, elected representatives, members, and HEU management and staff, and respond to information request regarding union policies, programs and events.
Qualifications and Experience
• Five years of related work experience in a union environment and post-secondary education or training in a relevant field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Direct experience working with and supporting the administration of union constitutional bylaws and policies.
• Demonstrated understanding of the issues facing working people in BC.
• Recent or current involvement in the labour movement in BC.
• An understanding of the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion.
• Excellent knowledge of administrative procedures and office organization.
• Excellent proofreading skills and attention to detail.
• Effective and respectful communication skills, verbal and written.
• Experience using and maintaining databases.
• Experience in working with multiple calendars to schedule meetings. -2-
• Proficient (intermediate level) in working with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook with a keyboard speed of at least 50 WPM.
• Demonstrated ability to solve problems and maintain confidentiality.
• Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively and efficiently under pressure to prioritize work and complete assignments in expected time frames.
May be required to work some evenings and weekends and may be required to travel.
This is an exempt position excluded from union membership. The normal work week is 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM Monday-Friday on a nine-day fortnight, with a competitive salary, generous vacation time and benefit provisions, including a defined benefit pension plan.
Since 1944, the Hospital Employees’ Union has advocated for better working and caring conditions, defended public health care, and stood against privatization. We have a long history as a strong, democratic, progressive, socially conscious union committed to social justice and advancing labour and human rights on a local and global level. We identify and challenge historical and systemic inequities and hear, respect, serve, empower and advocate for, each and every member. Together we fight for fairness, solidarity, equity, inclusion, and understanding, knowing that our members’ economic security depends on our success.
HEU is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to being a workplace that is free of discrimination, values diversity, and is representative of the communities we serve. We encourage applications from qualified people of all equity seeking groups, including all gender expressions and identities, sexual orientations, Indigenous persons, racialized persons and persons with disabilities. Interested in working with us? Here’s how to apply.
Please send your resume and covering letter by 4 PM on July 31, 2020 to: firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: Exempt Administrative Assistant, Your Name).
Although we greatly appreciate your interest in working with us, please note that due to the volume of applications, we will only be responding to those who are selected for testing or an interview.