Executive Director - OCOBIA (Ottawa Coalition of Business Improvement Areas) - Ottawa Coaliton of Business Improvement Areas
Ottawa Coalition of Business Improvement Areas (OCOBIA)
We are searching for an experienced executive ready to take on the management of the organization dedicated to the membership of Ottawa Business Improvement Areas, and the businesses and properties they represent.
This is a one-year term contract, with an opportunity to renew, working mostly in a satellite location(s) within the city of Ottawa.
The Ottawa Coalition of BIAs (OCOBIA) is an association comprised of BIA members within the city of Ottawa. Each BIA represents a geographical area as defined through a city by-law in which businesses combine resources and work together, through a formal association, to enhance the economic development of their area. OCOBIA collectively represents the BIAs and their business members in the City of Ottawa for the purpose of economic development, placemaking and community building.
OCOBIA is a community comprised of a diverse set of practitioners who transform cities into healthy and vibrant urban, suburban and rural places. We organize, convene, strive and push for positive social change and economic growth.
OCOBIA is a respected, proactive advocate and key influencer on issues and policies affecting the economic development and well-being of Ottawa BIAs - and the members they represent.
As the collective voice of Ottawa BIAs, OCOBIA provides a crucial and central point of communication, collaboration, guidance and influence with BIAs and external stakeholders.
Our ideal candidate is a proven leader who blends business acumen with an understanding of municipal affairs and the operation of a not-for-profit association. Working in a lean environment, you will develop strong partnerships within and beyond the BIA and municipal government sector, while executing a strategic plan and building an operation to fulfill the mission of the organization. You are a directionally focused and collaborative consensus-builder with initiative and possess the experience to multitask and execute at several levels. A strong communicator, you bring experience managing all aspects of an organization and understand how to work with the municipality to address the needs of the Ottawa business community. You have worked closely with Boards of Directors in a reporting structure, and you are able to set priorities and execute with minimal oversight or staffing.
- Convenor, organizer, liaison and single point of contact for all OCOBIA members;
- Create and manage communications between the City, OCOBIA and BIA representatives;
- Record and report on all Board meetings and committee meetings;
- Build the OCOBIA organization through our start-up and operational development;
- Develop close working relationships with City economic development, policy, and planning staff (identify and advise on relevant topics and issues that affect BIAs, and disseminate/discuss/share information);
- Establish communication channels with political leaders, especially municipal Council members;
- Develop best practices, consulting with other BIA groups and associations (e.g. TABIA); and
- Organize and lead execution of Strategic Plan activities and provide regular reports to the Board of Directors.
Qualifications, Competencies and Experiences:
- 5+ years of executive leadership or senior management experience;
- Demonstrated in-depth understanding of the BIA, not-for-profit, and/or civic sector;
- A proven track record of effective partnership development, leveraging strategic partnerships to advance the organization’s mission;
- Proven leadership in business administration, focused on operations and task-oriented;
- Proven track record of effective government relations, negotiations; and
- Effective, clear communicator with the ability to both listen and respond in English and French (preferred).
- The Board of Directors, OCOBIA
- OCOBIA Membership; Executive Directors and Board Chairs of Ottawa BIAs
- City of Ottawa staff and elected officials
- Meetings to be held in the City of Ottawa
- Flexible working location/ satellite office
- Commensurate with skills and experience
- Terms of compensation will be reviewed with the candidate in person
How to apply:
Please submit a cover letter and résumé outlining relevant experience.
Deadline for applications: August 18, 2020 at 5pm EST.