Executive Assistant, Advancement - The Bishop Strachan School
The Bishop Strachan School (“BSS”) is an undisputed leader in girls’ education. It is within this dynamic, creative and nurturing setting that girls acquire the academic tools, the life skills and the personal confidence to become tomorrow’s leaders. BSS is a leading-edge, year-round, day and boarding school for girls, located in mid-town Toronto, with a student population of 900 JK to Grade 12 students. BSS prepares its students to meet the challenges of tomorrow’s world by focusing on the whole girl – her development in academics, athletics and the arts, as well as her social, emotional, spiritual and physical well-being. At BSS, girls are given the space, the encouragement and the tools to pursue all of their dreams.
To support our mission of providing our students with the best educational experience, we strive for excellence in every facet of the organization - including providing a stimulating, creative and lively work environment that attracts the best staff and faculty. We are seeking exceptional candidates to fill the position of:
Executive Assistant, Advancement
Executive Director, Advancement
Summary of Position:
The Executive Assistant (EA) is responsible for providing exemplary administrative and customer service support to the Executive Director, Advancement (ED) and the Advancement Team, including support for the Major Gifts prospect research and tracking functions. This role requires the EA to demonstrate flexibility, take initiative, and ensure the ED is fully supported in the lead role. The EA works in a procedural, consensus-building manner with all constituents of BSS in keeping with the school’s vision, mission and values.
Specific Accountabilities Include:
- Acts as primary contact person for the Advancement office
- Provides senior-level administrative support to the ED, including calendar management, incoming/outgoing scheduling requests, file management, travel arrangements, and preparation of general correspondence (briefing notes, meeting agendas and other documentation)
- Meets regularly with the ED and team to review and anticipate departmental needs
- Exercises diplomacy and good judgment in liaising with parents, students, staff, alumnae, donors and volunteers through support that reflects a thorough knowledge and understanding of the department’s activities
- Co-ordinates meetings and performs recording secretary duties for the Board of Trustees and Trustee Committees
- Records and tracks outreach/cultivation activities related to prospective candidates for the Board of Trustees and Board of Governors
- Records actions, event and biographical information in Raiser’s Edge
- Provides support for the Prospect Management module and moves management measures for the Major Gifts function
- Tracks and co-orates approval of donor-related funding requests made by departments across the school for Advancement records and reporting to donors
- Records and tracks attendance for the department
- Monitors budget activity and expense coding and circulates GLs to budget managers
- Oversees Advancement office resources
- Co-ordinates incoming and outgoing mail and courier service
- Participates in Administrative Specialists Team meetings to ensure coordination across all departments and divisions of the school
- Opens Advancement mail, scans cheques and other correspondence and enters information, as appropriate, in Raiser's Edge
- Acts as back-up for Gift and Database Administrator
- Commits to the Staff Growth and Evaluation Process
- Assists with and participates in Special Events as needed
- Occasional evening, early morning and weekend work
- Other duties as assigned
Skills, Experience and Attributes Include:
- Successful completion of a university degree or relevant college diploma
- Extensive experience working in a senior administrative role, preferably in an educational environment
- Excellent organizational, time management and administrative skills
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Exceptional competency with Microsoft Office software (specifically Word and Excel) and familiarity with Google Suite products and Zoom platform
- Database management experience and expertise, preferably with Raiser’s Edge
- Keen interest in and understanding of evolving technologies and office protocols
- Strong written and analytic skills
- Proactive team player, flexible and self-motivating
- Ability to work independently, manage a variety of tasks concurrently, and perform well under pressure
- Successful customer service record
- Ability to see the big picture while being attentive to the details
- Exceptional judgment, discretion and diplomacy in order to deal with various constituents and the public
- Proven track record of confidentiality and integrity
- Adaptable to change
- Creativity and professional demeanor
- Sense of humour
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to Human Resources at The Bishop Strachan School by email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating Executive Assistant, Advancement in the subject line.
We thank all candidates in advance.
We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview.
We believe that diversity in our School fosters a rich, inclusive and creative environment.
We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
Visit us at www.bss.on.ca