Engagement Assistant (Virtual) - STEPS Public Art
NOW HIRING: ENGAGEMENT ASSISTANT
APPLICATION DEADLINE: THURSDAY MAY 13TH, 11:59PM PACIFIC TIME
ANTICIPATED START DATE: MONDAY JUNE 7, 2021
COMPENSATION: $17 - $19/HOUR
WHO WE ARE:
STEPS fosters dynamic, inclusive, and resilient communities through public art, community-engaged design, and creative placemaking. We are a small but mighty team of creative entrepreneurial innovators. We attract high-performing, highly ethical employees who truly care about their community. Our team works well together because we hold ourselves accountable to strong project management and complement one another’s strengths. STEPS is a Canada Revenue Agency registered charity that provides professional public art and placemaking services, as well as support for artists. Our open-concept office along Toronto’s Waterfront has natural light and ample room for physical distancing. We have a flexible working arrangement policy that includes remote working options for staff. For more information visit: www.stepspublicart.org
We are seeking a creative, energetic, and organized team player with a passion for forging new partnerships, amplifying the work of Canadian artists, and engaging people in public art experiences. Using STEPS communications framework, brand guidelines, and organizational strategies, the Engagement Assistant will support our team and Engagement Coordinator in communications and social media campaigns with a distinctive and consistent, professional voice and look for STEPS to further enhance organization awareness across Canada. For the contract length, this will be a virtual position so we are accepting applications from anywhere in Canada.
This is a 38 week (approx. 9 months) 35 hour per week contract position. Please read the job description and eligibility criteria in full.
- support Engagement Coordinator in the research, development and implementation of communications and marketing strategies across the organization, including those targeted at niche markets to diversify audiences
- write creative copy, identify existing visual content, and provide exceptional customer service for social media platforms (e.g. Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn) to increase followers, community engagement and brand profile across Canada
- collect audio-visual/testimonial content for social media, website and print materials to facilitate cross promoted campaigns with partners
- participate in the planning and execution of virtual events, such as artist talks, social media takeovers, workshops and organization/program information sessions
- support Engagement Coordinator in the development of digital paid advertising campaigns leveraging Facebook Ads and Google Adwords for ongoing services as well as targeted program or fundraising campaigns
- design communications tools (e.g. postcards, business cards, presentations, reports)
- ensure professional brand and high quality visual identity across all channels consistent with brand guidelines and aesthetic
- work alongside Engagement Coordinator in tracking and reviewing engagement analytics, including social media, email marketing, media, program registrations to inform quarterly updates and marketing strategy
- collaborate with team members to maintain up-to-date artist/partner collateral for internal artist roster and ongoing programming (e.g. sample artwork, biographies, contact information)
- engage in evaluation activities to extract testimonials, impact metrics and lessons learned to inform promotional tools, and to strengthen organizational processes/content
- represent the organization at meetings and public events to promote programs
WHO YOU ARE:
Our ideal candidate will be passionate about the role of the arts and artists in building vibrant inclusive communities. You are creative, proactive, observant, well organized, and thrive in a fast-paced environment. You must be a skilled writer who has a knack for story-telling and can customize our messaging for different audiences and platforms. You are a social media whiz with a strong sense of design. You have some knowledge of both the arts and urban issues and have an interest in forging partnerships across industries. You love brainstorming, problem-solving, and connecting with people. You’re often told by coworkers that they know something will get done if it gets passed to you, and you are not afraid to ask for support or clarification if needed. You have experience jumping in and making suggestions that make an improvement on what has been built while being respectful of the work that has come before. You relish making sense of things, learning and adapting, anticipating problems, and fixing them. You’re good at keeping information confidential. You thrive on each day being different and presenting new opportunities and challenges. You must be able to work independently, remotely, and be a collaborative team player. If you are organized, not easy to overwhelm, and you have a positive attitude that makes people want to be your teammate, we are looking forward to meeting you!
STEPS encourages applications from all qualified candidates that represent the full diversity of communities in Canada, including complexities of intersecting identities such as ability, class, gender, race, and sexual orientation. We are particularly interested in receiving applications from equity-seeking communities, including those who identify as Black, Indigenous, or racialized persons.
This position is partially funded through the Canada Summer Jobs program. Preference will be given to candidates who meet the following criteria established by the funder:
- Are no more than 30 years of age during the contract period (born AFTER February 25, 1992)
- Are a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
WE THINK IT'S IMPORTANT THAT YOU HAVE THE FOLLOWING:
- Strong project coordination skills, honed through 1+ years of experience in communications, marketing, or social media
- Ability to organize workflow, multitask and meet deadlines under minimal supervision
- Motivation and discipline as a self-starter, community builder, and cultural enthusiast, who can passionately communicate the value of public art to diverse audiences
- A talent for writing clear, concise copy for multiple audiences, leveraging different social media platforms to increase brand awareness
- Demonstrated experience managing and creating digital content for social media with a streamlined approach
- Strong design skills and competence in graphic design software, such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign, Canva, or other platforms. Knowledge of Adobe Premiere and After Effects would be an additional asset.
- Passion for the Canadian arts and culture sector with interest in working with intergenerational participants, including youth and seniors
- A thirst to be a team player who is resourceful in a fast-paced organization and recognizes that a degree of chaos is required for innovation to take place. Each day will be different, demand flexibility, comfort with ambiguity, and require flexing a diverse range of skills
- An adaptable problem solver, comfortable fostering a collaborative environment among program teams and stakeholders, who sometimes have divergent interests
- Excitement for bringing personal creativity and experimentation to a startup environment, including ensuring efficient processes and scaling programmatic impact
- Self-motivated, with the capacity to work independently and collaboratively to accomplish tasks of varying degrees
- Eagerness to explore modern outreach and communication strategies, including comfort with researching and suggesting new marketing approaches
- A creative thinker to support the development of both in-person and online outreach strategies and communications tools to meet the needs of diverse audiences
- High attention to detail and ability to learn quickly
- Proficiency in PC and Mac operating systems, MS Office, Google Drive, and Zoom
- Experience with WordPress, Mailchimp, Google Adwords, Facebook Ad Manager, Google Analytics & SEO considered an asset
- Fluency in French will be considered a strong asset
We invite qualified applicants to apply via the online portal on our website by no later than Thursday, May 13, 2021, 11:59 pm Pacific Time. Applications will not be accepted by email. This interview process will make use of videoconferencing and respect public health guidelines. While we appreciate the interest of all applicants, we can only communicate with those shortlisted for an interview. For the immediate future, this will be a remote-work position so we are open to accepting applications from anywhere in Canada.