Employment Specialist - posAbilities
Position Type: 1 Full Time 12-Month Term in New Westminster Office, and 1 Full Time 3-Month Term in Maple Ridge Office
Location: New Westminster and Maple Ridge, with travel through Lower Mainland
Compensation: $26.75 per hour, excellent benefits included after successfully complete probationary period
Start Date: ASAP
We are looking for a dynamic person who enjoys meeting people while facilitating opportunities for competitive employment.
Do you like meeting new people, finding out who they are and helping them achieve their goals?
Do you find inspiration in the everyday and know that the world we live in is full of opportunities for everyone?
Do you build confidence and competence in the people in your life by knowing who they are and what they can do?
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
The Employment Specialist coordinates the gradual and thorough transition of persons served to competitive employment. This includes employment counseling and support, needs assessments, vocational evaluations, employment preparation, training, placement (which includes job development) and orientation, and referral to community resources and support services.
It is expected that the majority of effort in this position will be spent out in community job developing and making cold calls to potential employers.
This position requires scheduling flexibility and the demonstrated ability to obtain and maintain relationships through community marketing.
This position is based at the Employment Services location in New Westminster and Maple Ridge; however, travelling to locations throughout the Lower Mainland to meet with participants and employers is required
Experience and Education Requirements:
- Diploma (from a recognized university or college) in Career Development, Supported Employment, or Vocational Rehabilitation, or applicable undergraduate degree in Social Services or Adult Education.
- Minimum three to five years experience working with people with developmental and/or physical disabilities.
- Experience in job placement, specifically working with persons with disabilities or other employment barriers
- Knowledge of local labour market trends and employment opportunities in the Lower Mainland
- Knowledge of the local community’s resources and services including services provided in the Community Living Field
- Demonstrated ability to work within a team setting, with an emphasis on leadership, self-initiative, patience, maturity and tact.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and liaise with families, and professionals
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Computer literacy including use of Microsoft Word, Excel and Access
- Mandt System Training
- Current CPR and First Aid Certification
- Current negative TB Test dated within last 12 months
- Criminal Record Check for Children and Vulnerable Adults
- Valid BC driver’s license, clean driving record, reliable vehicle with business insurance
Who are We?
posAbilities assists persons with developmental disabilities to lead meaningful and healthy lives by partnering with the community to provide a comprehensive range of person-centered services for individuals and the families who care for them.
Interested parties please apply at via our website www.posAbilities.ca or email email@example.com with cover letter and resume. Please note, while we would like to connect with everyone interested in this position, only applicants chosen for interviews will be contacted.