Employment Counsellor - JVS Toronto
JVS Toronto is a registered charity in the social services sector providing career and employment services. Our employees make a difference affecting local communities by connecting jobseekers to employment and helping employers build their workforce in Toronto and York Region. The JVS Employment Source office, funded by MTCU, provides employment services to unemployed individuals of all ages, financial backgrounds and skills to help them gain employment within their field or a related field. To achieve this goal, a range of services is provided at one location including information and referral services, one-on-one employment counselling, employment workshops, and job development/ placement services. Learn more about the good work we do by visiting our website at https://www.jvstoronto.org/find-a-job/employment-source/.
Are you looking for meaningful work where you can make a noticeable difference in peoples’ lives? JVS Toronto will provide you with the opportunity to advance your career and give back to our community. To reward employees’ hard work, JVS Toronto offers a paid vacation allowance, health, vision, & dental benefits, an employee assistance program (EAP), and corporate discounts.
Employment Counsellor, Job ID #8025
Full-time / 1 year contract with possibility of renewal / Starting ASAP / Markham
We’re looking for someone who will:
- Conduct intake and assessment of clients for the appropriateness of the Employment Service Program in Markham
- Assess each client’s needs and develop a service plan that demonstrates the coordination of appropriate interventions to support his/her employment goals
- Provide individual employment counselling and facilitate employment workshops in the office and in the community
- Facilitate itinerant services and outreach to market the program and serve job seeker needs in the community
- Demonstrate an outcome-focused case management ability; promoting Employment Ontario Services
- Collaborate with WFS team on connecting clients with employers and administering employment supports
- Maintain complete client case files in compliance with the Employment Ontario model requirements; monitor clients’ progress with ongoing follow-up
- Apply knowledge of current local labour market trends, community services, and resources across the GTA and specifically in Markham
- Assist participants with the use of computers, the Internet, social media and other tools for further career training and job search
- Provide clients with information and referral services, and administer and discuss Second Career applications
- Have working knowledge of the EOIS CAMs and Salesforce systems
Flexible hours / evenings may be required for this position.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or Post Graduate Certificate in Counselling or Social Work, Education, or a related subject with placement experience, or a related degree with 3-5 years of counselling experience. International degrees must be evaluated for Canadian equivalency.
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of current labour market trends, along with existing and emerging job search strategies for a variety of occupations
- Demonstrate proficiency in supporting preparation and improvement in areas such as resume writing, LinkedIn and interviewing for a variety of occupations
- Strong command of the English language
- Strong interpersonal and problem solving skills with the ability to work within a team environment to generate results for job seeker success
- Sensitivity to diversity and the ability to deal effectively with many personality types, including, but not limited to, clients with multiple barriers and internationally educated professionals
- FARSI (or Dari) as a second language reflecting the clients in the community is a must
- Computer literate; the ability to learn systems used by the agency (i.e. Salesforce)
- A clear Police Vulnerable Sector check is required for this position
Our ideal candidate will also have:
- Experience working in an Employment Ontario setting or similar program
- Certification from a Career and Work Counsellor Program
- Certification from an institution such as VRA Canada or ICCI
- Knowledge of the local community, such as resources, referral sources, etc.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume & covering letter here.
JVS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. If you require accommodation in order to submit your application, please contact JVS directly.
Our agency embraces diversity and encourages all qualified candidates to apply.
We thank all applicants for their interest in our agency, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.