Employment Counsellor - CICS
CICS is a registered charitable organization with a mission to empower newcomers in settling and integrating as contributing members of Canadian society through diverse, professional and innovative programs and services. We work to enable newcomers to fully integrate, participate and contribute to all spheres of Canadian society. Our success stems from our workforce culture bound by three core values: Compassion, Inclusivity and Collaboration.
Employment Counsellor (contract, from mid-March to mid-December 2021)
Immigrant Resource Centre
35 hours per week, may be required to work irregular hours including evenings, Saturdays and some holidays
$45,000.00 to $50,648.00
Current Rate: $24.73 per hour
Screening and Intake of Program Participants
- Conduct interviews and assessments to determine employment needs, skills and program suitability;
- Summarize initial assessment results and assist clients to develop service plans.
- Design and facilitate skills training that enhances participants’ job readiness and skills, improve workplace communications, etc.;
- Work with project team to evaluate program approaches and adjust training activities based on perceived participants needs.
- Work closely with participants to assess, update and determine job readiness, employability, initial and further training needs and other employment related support;
- Assist in facilitating referrals of the participants to additional education or vocational training and/or external support resources;
- Provide one-on-one counselling to participants to achieve employment goals as outlined in the services plans;
- Follow up with participants to assess progress and record outcomes.
- Work and interact with employers in the local community to identify employment opportunities that help create job leads;
- Develop new employer contacts and ensure diverse employment opportunities are available for participants;
- Plan and organize recruitment activities with employers regularly;
- Promote and administer Employer Financial Incentives Program(s).
Job Search Support
- Assist participants in targeting the suitable employment based on their skills, experience, education, and existing labour market factors;
- Collect labour market information for participants regarding job openings, entry and skill requirements and other occupational information;
- Assist participants to develop job search materials including resumes and cover letters, and review clients’ job search materials;
- Equip participants with skills to handle specific job interviews;
- Follow up on employed clients for job retention by conducting regular check-ins with employers and participants to identify and address issues.
- Generate and maintain all records pertaining to each participant, and assist in report writing;
- Compile statistical and narrative reports at regular intervals;
- Establish and maintain excellent service quality for participants;
- Work collectively with the project team to meet contractual targets and deadlines.
- University degree or equivalent, in Career Counselling, Social Services or related discipline;
- Demonstrated experience in employment/social services, job development or related fields; experience in working with Ontario Works clients is a strong asset;
- Good understanding of the employment needs of immigrant women;
- Good understanding of all facets of job search and career development including an understanding of labour market trends and resources;
- Thorough knowledge of local labour market, job search strategies and techniques;
- Excellent skills in program organization and workshop facilitation;
- Excellent outreach and communication skills to develop and maintain professional relationships with employers, generate job leads and secure jobs for clients;
- Proficiency in written and spoken English, proficiency in a second language relevant to the community is a strong asset
- Ability to work with Microsoft Office Suite;
- Able to travel in the GTA, possesses a valid Ontario driver license and access to a vehicle to carry out duties is preferred;
- Satisfactory results in vulnerable Sector Screening is mandatory.
All resumes are to be sent to CICS by email: firstname.lastname@example.org by March 05, 2021.
Application should quote Employment Counsellor and address the covering letter to:
CICS Hiring Committee
2330 Midland Avenue, Toronto, ON M1S 5G5
CICS is an equal opportunity employer. We provide accommodations during the recruitment process for persons with disabilities if required. This will be in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians Disability Act and Ontario Human Rights Code. We thank all those who respond to this posting. Only those selected for further screening will be contacted. No telephone call inquiries.