Emergency Care Worker @ the Canadian Red Cross - Red-Cross
Join the world’s largest humanitarian network. The Canadian Red Cross Society, a not for profit, humanitarian organization dedicated to helping the most vulnerable in Canada and throughout the world, is currently seeking Emergency Care Reservists across Canada as we prepare to provide support and respond to the second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic within the potential areas of COVID testing sites, vaccination sites, outbreak crisis management, support to long-term care (LTC) facilities, contact tracing and more, as needed. This role may also strengthen and augment the various pandemic operations that we are currently supporting across Canada.
Reservists will be called on as needed for both short term and longer-term assignments depending on your availability. Assignments may be in your local community, but willingness to travel within province or nationally will provide more opportunities to engage in operations.
Who you are:
- You are a humanitarian – you have a desire to help and are willing to learn new skills
- You are a team player and relationship builder – you work well within a team and are respectful, approachable and able to develop relationships within a team
- You are client service focused – you are able to provide comfort and care, have patience in supporting clients
- You are a strong communicator – you are able to effectively communicate in a variety of ways, demonstrate active listening, and clearly explain yourself and confirm understanding from clients
- You remain calm during a crisis – you respond effectively to your own and other’s emotions, don’t take things personally, stay positive and respond decisively
- You have a strong attention to detail – you are able to work at a high level of accuracy in completing forms, giving information and completely necessary paperwork
- You are dependable – you are timely, take initiative and ownership of work, and completes tasks with little supervision.
You will enjoy:
- Culture: an organization that is guided by our fundamental principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality
- Opportunity: to assist people in their time of need and work with the best and brightest in the non-profit field, in an environment that promotes continuous learning, creativity and collaboration
- Meaningful Work: you will be part of a team that supports Canadians and your Red Cross colleagues within your province as well as from across the country
As a Reservist, you could be assigned to a wide variety of operations. In this role, you may perform any of the following as per the assigned operation. You will be provided with detailed role description and expectations with each assignment:
- Support a Long Term Care (LTC) facilities’ front-line workers to assist the residents with the basic activities of daily living including socialization to help reduce loneliness and support emotional well-being, delivery of meals and snacks and encouraging hydration, inform LTC’s care team of residents who require assistance with feeding, tidy resident’s personal space, wipe down/disinfect frequently touched surfaces, change linen/make beds, distribute fresh linens, recognize and report risks/hazards and perform all tasks in a manner that promotes health and safety and reduces the risk of injury to self and others.
- Assist in the set up, daily operation and/or closing of a reception and information, COVID testing and/or vaccination sites, both in person or virtually.
- Support and reinforce health and safety protocols with clients, visitors and colleagues including social distancing, sanitization, wearing of personal protective equipment.
- Conduct assessments to determine needs of clients as appropriate.
- Provide comfort to clients and provide referrals to partner agencies and other community groups.
- Conduct phone calls to notify close contacts of their potential exposure; refer contacts for testing and connect them to community resources to support self-quarantine.
- Contribute toward the establishment and maintenance of safe & supportive working environments for diverse populations and incorporating cultural considerations.
- Support other Red Cross initiatives to provide a coordinated team effort in meeting the needs of the most vulnerable in the community.
We’re looking for:
- A high school diploma is required; 1-3 years experience in customer service, community development, case work or social services; or a suitable combination of education and experience is preferred
- Experience as a volunteer, in an emergency or client care environment and/or knowledge of Red Cross is a definite asset
- Able to travel within province and potentially within Canada is desired
- Passion and ability to work with people in need many of whom may be seniors
- Able to foster a trusting connection and work as part of a team through collaboration, communication, mutual understanding and respect
- Able to adapt to changing circumstances in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication skills with fluency (speaking, reading and writing) in English is essential; fluency in French is required based on province of work and a second language may be beneficial, but not required
- In some roles, computer literacy, comfort working with data bases and MS Office programs (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- In some roles, the work will be done virtually therefore will require reliable access to a computer, high speed internet, a phone and a private, secure workspace
- Must be able to complete a satisfactory Enhanced Police Information Check (EPIC)
- Depending on the operation, specific roles are required to pass confidential Health Screening and COVID testing
- Current First Aid Certification or willingness to take training is an asset