Education Representative (Teaching/Training) - SEIU Healthcare
The Education Representative provides subject matter expertise to promote best practices in member training and education that advances the strategic plan of the organization to build a strong union through an engaged and active membership. As an experienced educator, they will build effective cross-functional relationships to cultivate a positive work environment that is responsive to the needs of our membership. The Education Representative will oversee the development of curriculum, program collateral and other training materials. They will also facilitate member education sessions, provide mentorship and direction to our member facilitators, and maintain program information through effective data retention practices. In addition, they will ensure the department remains current with the latest training practices, trends, and technology.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible, under the direction of the Head of Education, to develop and deliver member education programs for the organization;
- Supports the strategic direction of the Education Program, trainings, academies and conferences as directed;
- Provides advice, guidance and training on education to members, internal stakeholders and other interested parties;
- Supports organizational change to effectively implement and promote practices, systems and behaviors that better integrates member education into our broader service strategy and overall member experience;
- Works collaboratively on education and engagement initiatives with internal and external stakeholders;
- Maintains awareness of emergent education practices, trends, and technology to make recommendations for their implementation into union programs;
- Maintains data on education initiatives, ensures that relevant documentation is uploaded to the approved platforms, and provides regular reports;
- Facilitates member education sessions and provides oversight/mentorship to our member facilitators;
- Supports outreach activities to promote member awareness of member education programs and better retention of those members who are already involved;
- Other duties as assigned.
- At SEIU Healthcare, while we understand that people do not always have the same access and opportunities to education, to be successful in this position requires a minimum of an undergraduate degree in Education or similar field.
- A minimum of five (5) years working experience in the field of education with demonstrated experience in facilitation, curriculum development and program delivery;
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours, including weekends and evenings and holidays as required.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- The position requires demonstrated leadership skills including the ability to be an effective team member to create an environment that advances the principles and values of SEIU Healthcare;
- The position requires excellent judgment to provide sound direction and advice on health, safety issues in the workplace to all levels of management and staff;
- The position requires exceptional attention to detail and the ability to meet deadlines and respond to multiple and changing priorities;
- The position requires excellent group facilitation and presentation skills
- The position requires excellent communication, interpersonal and leadership skills, with an ability to exercise tact, sound judgment and commitment to confidentiality
- The position requires good computer skills and demonstrated knowledge of system applications;
- The position requires a high level of facilitation and leadership skills in collaborative work;
- The position requires the ability to work with a diverse group of union staff and member leaders and lead in such a way to advance equity and inclusion of everyone in the union;
- The position requires a high level of autonomous decision making and problem-solving skills;
- The position requires strong planning skills, ability to discern priorities, and manage multiple responsibilities;
- The position requires excellent oral and written communication skills;
Salary and other terms and conditions are in accordance with the field staff collective agreement. Please note that the Employer reserves the right to transfer, or assign staff anywhere within the Local 1 Canada jurisdiction.
Written applications detailing qualifications and experience should be submitted to the following link no later than Friday August 23, 2019.
SEIU Local 1 Canada thanks all applicants for their interest. However, only those considered for an interview will be contacted. SEIU Local 1 Canada is committed to diversity in its workplaces and welcomes applications from all visible minority groups, women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities among other self-identified diverse groups. We also provide accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (‘AODA’). If you require accommodation for a disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources. Please note that only individuals who are selected for interviews will be contacted. We thank you for considering SEIU.