Education and Awareness Coordinator, Youth Cannabis Awareness Program - YMCA of Greater Toronto
YMCA of Greater Toronto
Education and Awareness Coordinator,
Youth Cannabis Awareness Program
(Full Time Salaried Contract)
Starting Salary: $44,463 - $46,000
Reports to: Associate Manager, Youth Cannabis Awareness Program
Location: Multiple vacancies for multiple locations - Please ensure you are stating the city you are applying to in your cover letter.
- Province of Saskatchewan (Saskatoon or Regina)
Why work for our charity?
The YMCA of Greater Toronto aspires to be a great work place committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, where different backgrounds, experiences, and identities are appreciated and celebrated. Guided by our shared values — kindness, well-being, integrity, inclusiveness, respect, and optimism — the YMCA provides thousands of employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits, and growth opportunities.
Nature & Scope:
Youth Cannabis Awareness Program (YCAP) is a national education prevention initiative funded by Health Canada and lead and delivered by YMCA of Greater Toronto across Canada. This project will address a gap that exists in cannabis harm reduction and education initiatives for youth aged 12 to 24 as well as adults (parents/guardians and professionals) involved in youth’s lives. The YCAP will be designed to reduce and prevent cannabis use, improve help-seeking behaviours, and enhance skills and abilities to have conversations about cannabis use and develop knowledge among each of the target populations. Program activities include but are not limited to providing developmentally appropriate workshops/webinars in French and English, online self-guided educational modules, Youth Engagement and Community Involvement projects, as well as providing school and parent engagement opportunities.
The Education and Awareness Coordinator will assume responsibility for outreach and promotion initiatives of the program provincially, and will coordinate and deliver YCAP activities (i.e. workshops/webinars, youth engagement activities, community involvement initiatives, parent engagement activities, school engagement activities, etc.) throughout the province in a variety of settings.
- Deliver and facilitate educational webinars and workshops online and in person to youth (12-24 yrs), parents and professionals involved in youth’s lives
- Plan, organize and implement community involvement initiatives to raise awareness about youth cannabis in conjunction with other community organizations
- Coordinate and implement youth engagement projects related to youth cannabis awareness
- Design and implement school engagement and parent engagement initiatives related to youth cannabis awareness
- Develop, engage and support a provincial partnership committee (including youth and professionals)
- Plan and chair online/in person meetings (youth groups, professionals, national team, etc.)
- Establish and maintain relationships with school boards, community and youth service providers
- Develop and implement effective outreach strategies to engage local communities, meet monthly targets and increase YCAP’s reach
- Maintain accurate records and statistics related to the activities undertaken and outcomes achieved and provide monthly reports
- Create content and support program’s online content strategy and online presence
- Attend and promote cannabis awareness in community meetings and events/fairs
- Research, and maintain up to date knowledge regarding issues and trends related to youth cannabis use and report learning
- Support program’s research and development initiatives
- Follow and implement program’s quality assurance measures
- Demonstrates appropriate behaviours in line with our Mission, Vision and Values as reflected in our YMCA competencies; takes a member focused approach to increase their understanding of programs offered across the Association. Represents the YMCA and the Association in a professional manner
- Understands the legal responsibilities and moral imperative to report suspected child abuse to Child Protection Services.
- Understands the importance of the volunteer staff partnership and integrates the value of philanthropy and volunteerism in dealings with members, volunteers, donors and staff.
- Travel and overnight stay as required
- Other duties as assigned
- University degree or college diploma (or equivalent) in Social Sciences, Public Health, Education, Business, Communication, Marketing or other related field is required
- Experience with outreach activities and strategies is required
- 1-2 years of experience in facilitation strongly preferred
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills, with the ability to draft and design clear and compelling communications;
- Experience in the delivery of public health, prevention and awareness initiatives is an asset
- Knowledge of cannabis awareness and harm reduction principles is an asset
- Understanding of principles of learning for both youth and adults is an asset
- Experience in working with youth, sensitivity and knowledge in dealing with youth from different cultural and racial backgrounds and youth with special needs
- Flexibility regarding assigned work hours, travel and overnight stays
- Ability to work in an efficient manner with a high degree of independence
- Experience in online communications, social media or interactive engagement and working with online presentation/meeting platforms
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Criminal reference check is required
- Knowledge of the community resources in the province of practice would be an asset
- Knowledge of Ministry of Education’s curriculum is an asset
- Commitment to working in a socially inclusive environment responding with sensitivity and personal awareness to the diverse needs of members including visible and non-visible dimensions of diversity.
- The position requires the following Core Association Competencies: superior competence in: Relationship Building and Partnering; advanced competence in: Effective Interpersonal Communications; fundamental competence in: Ethics and Self-Management; Being Member Focused; Being Results Focused; Teamwork and Collaboration; Valuing Diversity and Social Inclusion;
Please send résumé and cover letter quoting job posting #0121 and location by February 8, 2021 to:
Job offers are contingent upon the successful completion of a Police Records Check. Within the first four months and every three years thereafter, a Vulnerable Police Records Check is required.
The YMCA of Greater Toronto values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association.
We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation at any stage during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
About the YMCA of Greater Toronto:
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a charity that ignites the potential in people, helping them grow, lead, and give back to their communities. As outlined in our 2020–2025 strategic plan, Ignite the Light, we are focused on boosting well-being and promoting equity across the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). In the future we see for our region, everyone will have opportunities to shine their brightest.
Mirroring the diversity we’re privileged to have in the GTA, our YMCA offers a variety of programs responding to the needs of our communities. For more than 165 years, the YMCA of Greater Toronto has provided opportunities for people to shine through a variety of programs and services including health and fitness, licensed child care, camps, employment and immigrant services, education and training, and services for youth, families, and seniors. When you donate to the YMCA of Greater Toronto, you help ensure more people get access to these vital programs that help them connect, grow, and reach their full potential.
Visit www.ymcagta.org to learn more about our work to build vibrant communities where everyone can shine.