Education Administrative Assistant - Wabano Centre for Aboriginal Health
Education Administrative Assistant
Are you a passionate First Nations, Inuit or Métis person who loves to work with people, is a strong team player, has strong coordination skills and likes to create community events that promote individual and family wellness through cultural connections? If so, this opportunity may be for you!
Wabano is seeking positive, community minded team members who are energized by challenge and motivated to serve our community.
The Wabano Centre for Aboriginal Health is an award-winning Health Access Centre that provides holistic health services to First Nation, Inuit and Métis people living in Ottawa - one of the fastest growing and diverse urban Indigenous communities in Canada.
Wabano is a fast-paced, client-oriented organization that models the Indigenous values of balance, respect and community interdependence. Wabano is proud to be accredited through the Canadian Centre for Accreditation, a third-party review based on accepted organizational practices that promote ongoing quality improvement and responsive, effective community services.
Purpose of Position
Reporting to the Director of Quality Assurance, Education and Training, the Administrative Assistant will provide administrative support to the Education and Training team and is the first point of contact for the department. The position will also be instrumental in taking care of the logistics for the cultural trainings as well as other education related events.
- Book and coordinate meetings, including booking the room, preparing materials, sending reminders to participants about the meeting and setting up/cleaning up the meeting space;
- Assist with all aspects of event coordination including booking speakers, arranging travel and event set up and clean up;
- Record team meetings in meeting minutes, which includes highlighting actions and deliverables, timelines and completed actions;
- Collect monthly data and input data into appropriate database as directed;
- Generates monthly statistical reports;
- Complete and/or edit reports as directed;
- Prepare program flyers and other communication tools;
- Order and classify resources (documents, equipment, information kits etc.);
- Assist director with payroll, including entering timesheet information into an online Human Resources Information System (HRIS) and keep track of staff leave credits;
- Help keep director organized, including filing, reminding director of upcoming deadlines, etc.
- Create templates and other administrative tools;
- Provide other administrative support to the director and staff as required;
- Work collaboratively with Wabano programs and teams to support Wabano activities on an ongoing basis; and
- Other administrative tasks as required.
- Post-secondary completion in Office Administration or other relevant program of study;
- Minimum of two years direct experience as an administrative assistant;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office tools, particularly Excel, Word and PowerPoint with the aptitude to learn new programs;
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) with the ability to edit documents and reports;
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills;
- Experience working in a fast-paced, high stress environment with the ability to thrive;
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to work under pressure; and
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends.
- Preference will be given to candidates of First Nations, Inuit and Métis descent (please self-identify);
- Successful applicants will be required to provide a criminal reference check.
The position will remain open until filled. Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Wabano is committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If contacted for an employment opportunity or interviewing, please advise if you require accommodation.