Duty Chaplain - Government of Ontario
The Ministry of the Solicitor General offers a comprehensive and competitive compensation package including:
• A defined benefit pension package plan
• Maternity and parental leave top-up benefits
• A comprehensive health and dental plan
• Life and disability insurance
• A progressive work environment that promotes work/life balance
• Flexible learning and developmental opportunities including online, training and mentorship programs
• Opportunities for career advancement and specialization through a wide range of career fields
The Ontario Public Service has been chosen as one of:
• Canada's Top 100 Employers
• Greater Toronto's Top 90 Employers
• Canada's Best Diversity Employers
• Canada's Greenest Employers
• Top Employers for Canadians Under 40
The Ministry of the Solicitor General, Sarnia Jail, seeks a Duty Chaplain to provide spiritual and religious care and support to inmates, and maintain a comprehensive multicultural chaplaincy program for inmates, their families and staff.
If you are a spiritual leader who is interested in cultivating a worshipping community within an institution, please consider this challenging opportunity.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will:
• Provide comprehensive religious services and spiritual care programs to inmates, their families and staff
• Coordinate and monitor a busy and involved multi-faith program
• Create new programs and coordinate spiritual activities
• Build relationships and partnerships with community resources
• Partner with local faith communities to establish programs to help inmates reintegrate into the community
• Represent chaplaincy on institution committees
• Collaborate with a multidisciplinary team made up of Correctional Officers, Sergeants, Nurses, Mental Health Nurses, Social Workers, Psychiatrists, Psychologists, and other professional staff
How do I qualify?
• You must have an endorsement from a recognized Faith Group
Specialized Knowledge and Experience
• You have applied knowledge of various faith groups, multi-denominational groups, as well as religious beliefs and practices, normally acquired through a combination of university, theological school and professional experience
• You can work collaboratively with various faith groups
• You have a good understanding of correctional institutions and the criminal justice system
Communication, Interpersonal and Counselling Skills
• You can interact with inmates, families and staff
• You have strong counselling skills to address issues with inmates and families
Organizational and Supervisory Skills
• You can plan, organize, implement and evaluate spiritual care programs and religious services
• You can provide guidance and/or training to volunteers, students and other spiritual and religious visitors
Analytical and Judgement Skills
• You can identify and resolve issues
• You can work within the legislation framework to balance confidentiality, and the need to maintain security and the safety of staff and inmates
Salary Range: $60,497 - $76,175 per year
- 1 Permanent, 700 Christina St N, Sarnia, West Region, Vulnerable Sector Check, Credit History Check, Local Police Databases Search, PIP/NICHE/RMS
• In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
Required security screening checks along with your written consent, will be sent to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Talent Acquisition Branch (TAB), HR Service Delivery Division (HRSDD) to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you.
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 153921, by Monday, September 21, 2020. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.