Donor Relations Director – Western Canada - Tearfund Canada
Donor Relations Director – Western Canada
At Tearfund Canada, we are Christians passionate about ending poverty. We're following Jesus where the need is greatest, working through networks of local churches across the Global South to unlock people's potential and help them to discover that the answer to poverty is within themselves.
When disasters strike, we respond quickly. We won't stop until poverty stops. Join the Tearfund team and be part of a powerful and effective force for good.
Title: Donor Relations Director – Western Canada
Reporting: This position reports to the Director – Church Relations
Start date: Negotiable in Spring 2021
Position Type: Full-time - some evenings and weekends required
Pay: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
Benefits: Comprehensive benefits plan and matching RSP
Environment: This position will work from a home office
Travel requirements: Approximately 50 to 70 days away from home annually
The Tearfund Canada team is part of the worldwide family of Tearfund organizations. Tearfund Canada implements between $5 and $7 million of excellent relief and development projects every year in 11 countries in Africa and Asia through long-term, Church based partners.
We raise funds from individuals, businesses, foundations and churches, as well as from Global Affairs Canada, and through our membership in the Canadian Foodgrains Bank. Tearfund Canada serves as the official relief and development partner of six denominations and many independent churches.
Inspired by the example and teaching of Jesus, we recognize that people have deeply interconnected material and spiritual needs. We seek to meet those needs by working through local Christian networks across Africa and Asia - primarily through the churches and faith-based organizations who are at the heart of their communities.
Purpose of the position:
To represent Tearfund in Western Canada and secure funds for the organization. Through engaging with donors and churches, the candidate will communicate needs and opportunities across the Global South, encourage financial commitment and retain them as continuing donors to Tearfund. As their donations are well stewarded, they will be upgraded in their giving and involvement.
These functions will be accomplished in an interdependent fashion with other members of the organization to fulfill the shared Vision, Mission and Values of the organization’s stakeholders.
Although difficult to measure, the quality of relationship with major donors and churches, their sense of accomplishment, and their treatment as genuine partners are important factors in the success of this position.
You will be responsible to:
- Lead middle/major individual, and Church fundraising for Western Canada, ensuring donors are retained and upgraded in their giving
- Significantly grow revenue from middle ($1,500-4,999) and major donors ($5,000+)
- Grow revenue from Churches, while building relationships primarily in churches of the BGC, Evangelical Free Churches, AGC, Evangelical Covenant Churches, Free Methodists, those with Plymouth Brethren roots (Vision Ministries) and independent community churches
- As opportunities arise, train the Church in Biblically-based integral mission
Key Performance Areas:
Church Engagement & Fundraising: (40%)
- Working with the Director of Church Relations, develop engagement plans for 6 denominations and key churches in the region
- Meet with pastors, church and denominational leaders for the purpose of promoting biblical holistic (integral) mission and the work of Tearfund Canada
- Speak in churches, church meetings, church conference events, and other appropriate settings. Effectively communicate the theological understandings of poverty, and the biblical basis for community development and relief work through the local Church of the Global South. Promote the work of Tearfund Canada and our national church partners. As required, represent Tearfund at other events and conferences.
- Engage with church leaders and donors on Discovery Tour experiences to Tearfund’s international program settings as needed.
- Build and execute a communication and ask plan for:
- each church including face-to-face meetings, direct gift solicitations and submitting customized proposals, taking into account interests, motivations, giving patterns and ask preferences.
Middle / Major Gifts (40%)
Ensure active pipeline of donors by working closely with other Development team members to identify prospects from daily/weekly gift reports; using criteria to mine the database to uncover prospects; reviewing donor lists; and using other strategies and resources to identify potential donors.
- With the Marketing and Development team, develop revenue goals, tracking progress to ensure targets are met, and re-examining strategies to achieve goals.
- Build and execute a communication and ask plan for:
- Major donors; including face-to-face meetings, direct gift solicitations and submitting customized proposals, taking into account interests, motivations, giving patterns and ask preferences.
- Middle donors; including phone calls, email, and proposal submission, taking into account interests, motivations, and giving patterns
- Manage donor stewardship, ensuring experiences that foster long-term engagement. Develop methods to convey the impact of gifts and ensure donors are kept up to date on Tearfund. Set and meet goals for a number of touch points annually.
- Solicit tribute and planned gifts as per donor interests/wishes
- Work with the Executive Director to enlist the participation of board members in identifying, cultivating and soliciting prospects.
Administration / Other: (20%)
- Maintain records in the donor database (Raiser’s Edge NXT) related to your portfolio.
- Enter contact reports and ensure next steps are scheduled. Enter capacity ratings based on research, prioritize prospects, and assign portfolios as appropriate.
- Lead an annual donor / Pastor Discovery team to our projects in Africa and Asia to learn what God is doing amongst the global church
- Create reports that reflect portfolio activity and progress towards achieving goals
- Other duties as required and assigned
Skills, competencies and qualifications
- Passion. Fully aligned with the Mission, Vision, and Core Values of Tearfund Canada. Concern for, and interest in issues of the church, poverty, food security, and social justice
- Loves the Church. An open‐minded, ecumenical spirit who is comfortable in diverse theological and congregational settings with an understanding of Canadian local church realities and structures. An active member of a local church. Possession of a Christian clergy license and / or ordination status would be an asset, but not required.
- Communication. Exceptional track record of speaking (including preaching), written communication, and casting vision in a compelling, relevant manner both with larger audiences and smaller groups. Great sense of humour
- Relationship Building. High degree of emotional intelligence. Ready and seeking to build and maintain relationships with a wide range of people from Pastors to farmers, business people to students
- Loves to raise funds for the cause. Report writing, grant applications and presentation prep with the team brings joy.
- Organization/Project Management. Determine strategies to move projects forward, set goals and focus on priorities, create and implement action plans, document, evaluate, and learn. Seeks clarification when unsure of expectations
- Hustle/Persistence. Highly motivated with a positive attitude.
- Technical Prowess. We're cloud based. Digital communications, tracking, and tools are the norm. Experience with Raiser’s Edge, customer management systems, or other database systems is part of everyday life.
- Loves travel and new relationships. Willingness to travel extensively across Canada and, on occasion, internationally. Possess a valid driver’s license and access to a car for travel.
Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Address your application to Human Resources. Your cover letter should include a description of:
- Your approach to successfully helping Tearfund Canada fulfill its vision.
- How you would integrate your faith with humanitarian aid and development in this role.
Tearfund Canada welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Tearfund Canada takes our Safeguarding responsibilities seriously and we provide an environment that is safe for all beneficiaries. We have strong recruitment procedures to make sure the safest and most suitable people work in our programs. We provide our staff and volunteers with ongoing supervision, support and training in their work with all beneficiaries.
Apply by email only to Human Resources
Deadline for application is May 15, 2021
We thank all applicants for applying, however we will only contact those selected for interviews. No phone calls please.