Donor Relations Coordinator - Sanctuary Ministries of Toronto
We are Sanctuary, and we’re looking for a Donor Relations Coordinator.
This job is perfect for someone with a passion for social justice, strong organizational skills, and a love of people.
At Sanctuary, we are becoming a healthy, welcoming community where people who are poor or excluded are particularly valued. This community is an expression of the good news embodied in Jesus Christ.
Our faith and relationship with God inform us in identifying the following as some of our core values:
- Dignity: We believe that each person is created in the image of God and, as such, has the right to be treated with the utmost dignity.
- Mutuality: We come to our relationships recognizing that each person has gifts to be shared and gifts to be received.
- Inclusivity: We intend that our community at Sanctuary will be as inclusive as Jesus was in his life.
The words we often use to describe ourselves are “community” and “family.” Our staff and those they serve “do life” together. It can be challenging, complicated and messy. We find that it’s also enlivening, fulfilling, and deeply meaningful.
Donor Relations Coordinator
This role is about building relationships and supporting our operations.
You’ll be reaching out and responding to individual donors, making sure that they’re served exceptionally well and feel more connected to Sanctuary because of your communication. While we prefer to think of our donors as friends and partners, you’ll achieve success in your role this through well-honed customer service skills, and a warm, friendly communication style.
You’ll be managing databases, financial information, and finding new efficiencies to help Sanctuary run more smoothly. A strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel, attention to detail, and consistent follow-through will serve you well.
You’ll also be an active member of our team supporting the Sanctuary community through one-on-one relationships, and through regular participation in drop-in and outreach activities.
Specifically, you will:
- Oversee and be involved in the prompt and regular acknowledgment of donations
- Oversee and be involved in the timely distribution of annual tax receipts
- Provide administrative support and advice to other members of the Donor Relations team about their meetings with donors
- Take a lead role in working with other staff and community members to plan, organize and execute key community events throughout the year
- Seek out and apply for suitable financial grants
- Be an active participant in creating and understanding Sanctuary’s annual budget
- Be scheduled for 1-2 drop-ins each week and be involved with outreach activities
You’ll succeed in this role if you have these characteristics:
You’re comfortable with tension and ambiguity. This community includes a wide range of people. We don’t always agree, but we always care for one another.
You’re a superb communicator. With every medium, you’re able to convey warmth, conviction and empathy all with a high degree of clarity.
You’re flexible. Schedules around here are written in pencil, and you’ll be asked to do things you’ve never done before. You can change plans when the need arises.
Your Christian faith informs, motivates and inspires all facets of your life.
Working @ Sanctuary
This is a full-time, permanent position at our center in Toronto. Hours will often be around 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday and are flexible, but will require 2-4 evenings most months. This will fluctuate with the life of the community. Salary will be between $50,000 - $60,000, and we offer benefits and four weeks of vacation. All team members participate in raising a portion of their salary through their own personal networks.
Sanctuary is a freeing place to work. Our staff have the autonomy to manage their own schedules and workflow, because we trust one other. We each have a deep commitment to this community, as well as to our roles within it.
Each of our team, regardless of their unique focus within the community of Sanctuary, is committed to viewing themselves first and foremost as members of the community. And while still being committed to fulfilling their specific role to the very best of their ability, their engagement with the Sanctuary community takes precedence over the accomplishment of that role.
By joining us, you’ll become an important part of our close-knit community. We hope that if you feel at home here, you’ll be in it with us for the long haul.
These are our “must haves:”
- Experience in a customer service role
- Proven administrative skills
- Experience using Microsoft Excel to analyze data and create documentation
And these are our “nice to haves:”
- Experience in donor relations and/or development role
- Experience in event planning, organization and execution
- Experience working with financial statements and budgets
- Experience working within indigenous communities and/or a high level of familiarity with indigenous culture and customs.
- Experience working with marginalized individuals
- Training in Non-Violence Crisis Intervention (NVCI)
How to Apply
Our online application will give you the option to apply to this role as a complete person – not just a resume. The application will assess your qualifications, personality traits and workplace preferences, and should take 10 to 15 minutes to complete. After submitting, you'll receive an email inviting you to log in and view your assessment results.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us with the “Help” button in the application.
We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing from you.