Director, Strategy and Business Intelligence - Toronto Community Housing
What we offer
In addition to a competitive salary and a rewarding career where you can truly make a difference, we offer a comprehensive package that meets the various needs of our diverse employees, including:
- Ability to participate in inclusive employee-led networks to educate, inspire, amplify voices, build relationships and provide development opportunities;
- Minimum four (4) weeks of paid annual vacation days, increasing with years of service;
- Four (4) paid personal days;
- Defined benefit pension plan with OMERS, includes 100-per-cent employer matching;
- Health and dental benefits, including a health spending account available upon your start date;
- Employee and family assistance program;
- Maternity and parental leave top up (93 per cent of base salary);
- Training and development programs, including tuition reimbursement of $1,500 per calendar year; and,
- Fitness membership discount.
Hybrid Job: This job offers the opportunity to work from home as part of a hybrid work arrangement. This arrangement allows you to work some days at a TCHC office location and the rest of the time from home. The amount of time required to work at a TCHC location is flexible, while considering operational and service delivery requirements.
Make a Difference
In this newly created role, you will be responsible for leading the development of the organizations 2024-2028 Strategic Plan and building TCHC’s Business Intelligence Strategy. You will enhance and grow TCHC’s reputation as the largest housing provider in Canada, supporting the needs of more than 100,000 tenants who call TCHC home. This is an exciting time for TCHC and you will have a critical role to play. Housing affordability has never been more vital and TCHC is at the forefront. You will define and illuminate TCHC’s leadership role within the housing sector, creating and building relationships with key stakeholders and partners around the province and across the country.
You will make a difference every day by supporting TCHC’s ongoing commitment to the social, economic and overall well-being needs of people who call TCHC home, while also championing the City of Toronto’s new transformative and generational approach to creating more affordable housing. You’ll be amongst a team of leaders and subject matter experts who are transforming the future of affordable housing in Toronto. You’ll help position TCHC as a leader in business intelligence and drive data driven decision making across the organization and within the housing sector. This role requires a strategic thinker and collaborative leader. You are a strong people leader with experience leading large projects that are delivered on time and on budget. You will be expected to develop strong working relationships across the organization. You are a hands-on leader, able to prepare analysis, reports and presentations in order to brief the senior and executive leadership teams as well as the Board of Directors.
Reporting to the Vice President, Strategic Planning and Communications (VP), this position will have a fair degree of autonomy, with the ultimate goal of being a forward-thinking authority and key subject matter expert for the VP, Chief Operating Officer (COO), Chief Finance Officer (CFO), President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) as well as the Executive Leadership Team (ELT) and Board of Directors. Additionally, you will build trusted relationships with external partners and organizations who are invested in TCHC’s overall success, including the City of Toronto and all housing sector partners.
What You’ll Do
Strategic Planning and Initiatives
- Support the development of the strategic planning process and implementation of key initiatives including development of TCHC’s new Strategic Plan.
- Work across the organization to identify, plan and support strategic discussions for ELT and the Board of Directors. This will include conducting analysis and preparing materials to support discussions and working with business units, as required.
- Working with the larger team, collaborate on the development of the overall strategic planning approach and business management and performance process.
- Lead key organization-wide strategic initiatives through the design phase before transitioning them over to specific divisions to be implemented.
- Lead and manage multiple work streams to achieve project objectives.
- Build strong internal relationships across divisions to enhance connectivity and inclusivity on key strategic initiatives.
- Monitor and analyze the internal/external environment to identify corporate strategic issues. This includes opportunities and challenges stemming from public sector changes, particularly those related to affordable housing policy and trends.
- Provide opinions, advice and recommendations related to strategic planning activities.
- Help define TCHC’s overall approach to its critical role within the housing sector.
- Direct and provide insights, leadership and resourcing to strategic projects and initiatives, as identified by the VP.
- Lead the development of TCHC’s centralized data strategy.
- Increase TCHC’s presence as a leader in social housing through the development of a comprehensive data governance and analytics function.
- Work in collaboration with the Operations Division to measure and track performance analytics and develop predictive data intelligence.
- Build TCHC’s capacity to anticipate emerging needs, new trends, relevant opportunities and risks.
- Develop processes for disseminating key internal/external data to the senior and executive management team, ensuring continued monitoring and updating of identified performance trends and predictive insights.
- Prepare and present quarterly updates to the VP, COO, CEO, ELT and Board of Directors, informing and shaping data-driven business decisions on a go-forward basis.
- Create ad hoc reports, business cases and presentations where no precedent exists, considering necessary messaging and level of detail for a range of purposes and audiences.
- Develop and maintain key performance indicators and reporting on progress regularly. Build a coherent and effective strategy to procure differentiated information and intelligence from peers and other industry stakeholders.
- Research internal/external publications, documents and briefing materials, etc. in preparation for meetings.
- Synthesize large amounts of information into clear, concise language, visualization and messaging with a consistent level of detail.
Collaborative Leadership and Relationship Building
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills
- Provide strategic advice and make recommendations to the VP, ELT and Board of Directors.
- Ability to manage complex issues with external political stakeholders and community partners
- Ability to manage multiple projects, prioritizing to ensure timelines are met.
- Ability to monitor other’s work, identifying strengths and development opportunities.
- Drive effective change management.
- Build strong relationships across TCHC, with the City of Toronto, as well as with industry peers.
- Identify new contacts for TCHC to deliver on and advance the priorities of the organization.
- Work collaboratively with the Board of Directors, CEO, ELT and the City of Toronto’s leadership team in developing, implementing, and measuring the impact of TCHC’s strategies.
- Build a high performing, multi-disciplinary team focused on performance, recognition and succession planning.
- Contribute to a team culture where people feel valued and inspired to do their best work.
- Inspire people through your clear vision and consistent, values-based leadership
What You'll Need
- Undergraduate degree in political science, public policy, data analytics, law, business, strategy, health sciences or related field; or equivalent related experience.
- A minimum of 8-10 years of experience working in one or more of the following areas: data analytics, strategy, government, public affairs or public policy.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: public policy, quantitative and qualitative research, and performance management.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong command of Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to analyze data, summarize and visually present information for senior management and executive audiences.
- Strong political acumen and networking skills, with experience building and enhancing relationships.
- Passionate self-starter.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and manage at least one direct report as well as external consultants and other vendors.
- Ability to lead projects and work collaboratively across business units in a diplomatic and professional manner.
- Demonstrated experience leading teams and supporting their development/growth.
- Effective collaboration and relationship-management skills, ideally with experience in a decentralized work environment.
- Experience procuring and managing third-party service providers.
- Proven experience working with and presenting to executive leaders and Board of Directors.
Once you apply, we’ll review your resume and contact you if we believe your skills and experience will make you successful in the role. If you are selected to move forward, the process will include one or more interviews and/or assessments and reference checks.