Director, Research, Policy & Public Affairs - United Way Greater Toronto
POSITION: Director, Research, Policy & Public Affairs
STATUS: Full-time, Permanent
DEPARTMENT: Community Opportunities & Mobilization
REPORTS TO: Vice President, Community Opportunities & Mobilization
BASIC FUNCTION: To develop, integrate and implement United Way’s research, evaluation, public policy and public affairs strategies, based on a strong evidence base and a solid foundation of partnerships and relationships.
- Oversee the development and implementation of a new research program, including identification and management of partnerships, data collection and analysis, stakeholder consultations and related preparation of reports
- Direct the development and implementation of an evidence-based policy agenda, including consultation with various United Way stakeholder groups, directing relevant policy research, development of relevant briefs and submissions, and ensuring ongoing monitoring and learning
- Manage the ongoing development and execution of United Way’s public affairs strategy, in close collaboration with community partners -- managing government relations and communications, analyzing legislation and initiatives, formulating advice on policy positions and developing and maintaining strong relationships with key decision-makers
- Oversee the development of a community impact measurement and evaluation action plan that will enable United Way to monitor and report on the implementation of its strategic plan and the impact of its funding and community initiatives
- Serve as a trusted advisor to the VP, executives and other leaders and teams across the organization, providing a high standard of strategic counsel and support
- Work with the Senior Management Team on departmental objective setting, team work planning, budget planning and change management associated with United Way’s strategic plan
- Manage a dynamic and high skilled team and key community and partner relationships to ensure the highest level of thought leadership, performance and results
- Deepen collaborations with community partners--especially Anchor Agencies--as well as with organizations and leaders from all sectors to gain new insights, find shared value, and move the needle on systemic issues related to United Way’s mission
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach
- More than five years up to and including 10 years experience in developing and conducting large-scale research projects, including qualitative and quantitative research methods as well as various methods of evaluation
- Demonstrated experience in leading and conducting policy analysis and commentary
- Extensive senior experience in stakeholder relations, especially public affairs
- Demonstrated knowledge of issues affecting the community social services sector. Experience working with community-based organizations and a professional alignment with United Way’s community impact strategy is strongly desired.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to motivate staff and work collaboratively in an inclusive and collaborative team environment
- Demonstrated experience working directly with executive leaders and the CEO in support of externally-facing activities
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent judgment, discretion and interpersonal skills; ability to handle multiple priorities simultaneously, meet deadlines, and drive collaboration across multiple areas of the organization
- Detail- and process- oriented with a big-picture/strategic view
- Master’s level degree or higher in the social sciences, urban studies, or related field, or equivalent work-related experience preferred
Interested candidates please apply no later than October 28, 2019.
UWGT offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in our recruitment process. If you are contacted by UWGT regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation.
About United Way:
As the largest non-government funder of community services in the GTA, United Way Greater Toronto reinforces a crucial community safety net. United Way’s network of agencies and initiatives in neighbourhoods across Peel, Toronto and York Region works to ensure that everyone has access to the programs and services they need to thrive today. Mobilizing the network and other community support, United Way tackles #unignorable issues linked to poverty. United Way’s work is rooted in ground-breaking research, strategic leadership, local advocacy and cross-sectoral partnerships committed to building lasting solutions to the GTA’s greatest challenges.
Diversity & Inclusion:
United Way is committed to creating an inclusive workplace that reflects our diverse community to ensure we’re best equipped to serve it. We encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds and those who may need accommodation to apply to join our team. Our commitment to excellence in diversity goes beyond promoting equity. By incorporating a variety of experiences and perspectives, we create opportunities for innovative solutions and maximize the impact of our work.