Director, Projects and Strategy - Canadian Mental Health Association, York and South Simcoe
Message about our hiring and operating practices during the COVID-19 pandemic
The Canadian Mental Health York Region and South Simcoe branch (CMHA-YRSS) is continuing to provide much-needed mental health services. As an organization, we are protecting our staff through supporting either working from home, or physical distancing, and other public health directives for essential services staff working on-site. Rest assured that your well-being is our top priority and we have appropriate health and safety measures in place at each stage of the recruiting process and throughout our operations.
We are hiring a Director, Projects & Strategy to join our leadership team and reporting to the CEO in our PMO Department.
Due to CMHA-YRSS significant growth, this net new position has been created to help with its continued and future success. Are you a Project Management enthusiast who is excited about bringing your experience in managing organization projects and strategy for a fast-growing, innovative and leading organization in Mental Health Care space? If you are a passionate self-starter, this is the role for you!
Closing Date: Until Filled
Permanent: Full-time, 35 Hours per Week, Evening Hours and Weekends may be required
Benefits: Excellent Benefits Package: Full Extended Health & Dental, Life Insurance, EAP, STD, LTD, & Pension Plan. Generous paid time off including vacation, sick, personal days.
Competition #: 2020-067
Location: In accordance with current public health directives, training will be available both remotely (i.e., via teleconference and videoconferencing technologies) as well as onsite while respecting physical distancing. During the current COVID-19 outbreak, work can be completed primarily from home with equipment provided by CMHA.
Once public health directives are lifted, the Director, Projects & Strategy will be working primarily in our Newmarket office (1101 Nicholson Road, Newmarket, ON) with flexibility to work from home. May be required to occasionally travel within York Region & South Simcoe for training or meetings.
The Director, Projects & Strategy will be responsible for managing key organizational projects of medium to high complexity. Project management responsibility includes: defining project scope and goals in alignment with the organization strategy; coordination and completion of projects on time within budget and within scope; and oversee all aspects of projects including set milestones, assign responsibilities and monitor and summarize progress of projects. The role will be responsible for analyzing, identifying and managing potential risks and liabilities associated with the multiple projects.
The successful candidate will work collaboratively with the leadership team to identify gaps as the organization continues to grow and expand, and lead high impact projects. In this role, there will be a requirement to build organization capability for Project Management by coaching leadership and management staff on basic fundamentals of project management as well as training them on the use of associated tools. In addition, the successful candidate will coordinate with other departments to ensure all aspects of each project are compatible and aligned with the strategic goals. As this is a net new role, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to be innovative and create the organization’s first Project Management Office. This is an individual contributor role and will not have any direct reports.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, business, or a related field
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification
- Minimum 8 years of working experience in project management (overseeing projects through the full-life cycle and ranging in all levels of complexity
- Minimum 5 years of overall experience in a leadership/management role
- Previous work experience in hospital setting, community health and/or not for profit organization is an asset
- Previous work experience in a high growth, entrepreneurial environment considered an asset
- Understanding and working knowledge of various project management methodologies
- Highly agile and able to support and augment change management.
- Strong Cost & Risk Management skills
- Proven ability to solve problems creatively
- Able to collect data, present, and communicate clearly on themes/patterns/gaps
- Strong working experience with project management software tools (such as Smart sheet, Asana, etc), and best practices
- Excellent analytical and reporting skills; able to collect data, present, and communicate clearly on patterns and gaps
- Excellent communication, facilitation, interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Ability to coach and train others on basic project management concepts and technical tools
- Proven ability to complete projects according to outlined scope, budget, and timelines
- Strong organizational skills including attention to detail and multitasking skills
- Able to work both autonomously and collaboratively
- Team player and able to work cross functionally with other team members and departments
- Other related duties
The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by an individual assigned to the job. This information is not constructed to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel in the job.
This position reports to, and is supervised, by the Chief Executive Officer.
Working Conditions: Ability to work at computer for extended periods of time.
Disclaimer: In keeping with mental health reform, best practices, funding and direction this position may later require knowledge, skills, abilities and working conditions not noted here.
Why work for CMHA York Region?
We are a team committed to our vision of mental health support for all. That means we respect that our clients are the experts in their recovery journey and that our role is to provide support, resources and opportunities based on their hopes and dreams. It means that we foster and encourage an entrepreneurial spirit to create, implement, and sustain innovative, evidence based and transformational impact. We seek out and build partnerships, collaborate and share knowledge to be the most culturally competent team and fully integrated service delivery partner.
Our team cares for each other. We have our own team values of trust, respect, teamwork and communication. We have been a National Non-profit Employer of Choice for five consecutive years as well as a recipient of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures.
If you are interested in this opportunity, follow the link below and click on the “Apply Now” button in the top right corner of the page to proceed to upload your cover letter and resume:
Complete the application form and submit the following:
1) Cover letter with 300 words or less and tell us why you would want the Director, Projects & Strategy role and why you should be considered for the position (PDF or Word)
2) Resume (PDF or Word)
CMHA-YRSS supports the recovery of people with mental illness and promotes diversity in the workplace. We welcome all applicants including persons with lived experience, women, aboriginal people, people with disabilities, and members of the 2SLGBTTQ+, visible minority and immigrant communities to apply.
While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To request this posting in an alternate format or to request accommodation in the application process, email AODA@cmha-yr.on.ca