Director of Finance - Canadian Franchise Association
The Canadian Franchise Association (CFA)
The Canadian Franchise Association (CFA) helps everyday Canadians realize the dream of building their own business through the power of franchising. The CFA is a Not for Profit (NFP) organization that advocates on issues that impact this dream on behalf of more than 700 corporate members and over 40,000 franchisees from many of Canada’s best-known and emerging franchise brands. Beyond its role as the voice of the franchise industry, the CFA strengthens and develops franchising by delivering best-practice education and creating rewarding connections between Canadians and the opportunities in franchising. Founded in 1967, the CFA consistently advances and supports the franchise community, and is the essential resource for information, insight, and expertise through its award-winning education, events, services, and websites: cfa.ca and LookforaFranchise.ca.
CFA office is in Toronto on the Mississauga / Toronto border near the Pearson International airport, with access by highway and public transit (Mississauga and Toronto).
Due to the impact of COVID-19, our physical offices are currently closed, and team members are working remotely. Interested candidates should be prepared to work remotely on a full-time basis until normal business resumes.
Director of Finance & Administration
This a full-time employee position, with participation in the CFA co-share employee benefits program.
Reporting to the President & CEO, this management team position directs the development of all internal financial controls, audits all financial systems, and analyses and interprets financial and operational information to ensure effective protection, control and use of CFA’s financial resources. This role will direct the execution of Financial and Budgeting processes and systems, as well as the preparation of annual operating and capital budgets.
The Director of Finance & Administration is responsible for providing leadership and day-to-day management of the finance and administration functions for the CFA, ensuring these functions meet full legal and fiduciary requirements for a Not for Profit (NFP) organization. This position will provide financial knowledge, information, and analysis to support the achievement of the CFA’s strategic priorities and annual goals and will also ensure the development and maintenance of an appropriate administrative infrastructure, including technology.
This is a management team position. It is expected that the incumbent will function at a senior level regarding development of strategies, analysis, monitoring / tracking and reporting systems, budgeting, forecasting, and production of management reports.
FINANCIAL CONTROL & MANAGEMENT
- Directing and overseeing all aspects of the Finance Department
- Overseeing and managing processes for financial forecasting, budgeting, and annual audit
- Monitoring financial performance by measuring and analyzing results, while recommending corrective actions to minimize the impact of variances
- Overseeing the preparation of specialized financial reports and analyses to ensure that the CFA is provided with timely and accurate financial information
- Supporting all CFA initiatives, to include but not limited to production of financial metrics and reports to improve event, education, marketing, advocacy performance and future effectiveness, overall financial analysis, and assessment
- Ensuring that effective internal controls are established and ensuring compliance with applicable provincial, and federal laws, regulations, and rules for financial and tax reporting
- Recommending, developing, and implementing financial policies and procedures to ensure that financial information is secure and stored in compliance with current legislation
- Performing special financial evaluations, developing, and managing key performance indicators and other financial measurement tools
- Leading the process of preparation of the annual Budget and Financial Statements, Board reports, Federal/ Provincial tax returns and filings, and the audit process
- Managing banking and treasury relationships, including recommending banking partners, monitoring cash flows, investments, credit lines, foreign exchange to ensure appropriate financial resources are available
- Reviewing legal contracts for adequate coverage, consideration, and other items as required to ensure adequate insurance protection of the CFA
- Ensuring proper and adequate insurance coverage is in place to protect the CFA’s assets, employees, volunteers, Board members and program participants
- Responsible for all internal and external finance & administration communications
- Actively participate in committees as needed to provide financial background, projections and analysis to allow committees to make data driven decisions including but not limited to Convention Program Committee, Franchise Law Day Committee, Education Advisory Committee, Lead Generation Committee etc. Committees could change based on the strategic direction of the CFA
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Preparing, with the input of the management team, and presenting financial budgets and financial narrative reports for the review of the Board of Directors and management team
- Reporting to the Board of Directors proactively and effectively and providing timely, accurate, and clear reports
- Working with President & CEO and management team to proactively mitigate financial and legal risks to the organization and its Board of Directors
- Management of signing authorities
HUMAN RESOURCES / FINANCE
- Maintaining detailed and accurate finance, benefit and tax information for employee HR files
- Payroll and related filings
- Administration the staff health benefit and other benefit plans
- Administration all employee leaves (voluntary and involuntary)
- Overseeing payment of employee expense reports in a timely manner and in accordance with policies and procedures, internal controls, and budgetary commitments
- Recommending board policy initiatives in areas such as privacy, compensation grids and salary scales for the consideration of the President & CEO
- Ensuring effective administration and maintenance of administrative systems and information such as databases, email addresses and passwords, files systems (paper and digital).
- Phone, and alarm systems including web/video/audio conferencing systems
- Managing and maintaining the technological inventory including all computers, laptops, servers, audio visual equipment, and other related equipment or services
- Overseeing the purchase of all office supplies for the office, and oversee the spending of office supplies in remote offices
- Management and negotiation of office contracts such as photocopiers, postage etc.
- Overseeing, managing, and supporting assigned finance, accounting staff as applicable
- Managing vendors and suppliers as related to function, e.g. Alarm company, IT supplier
- Ensuring the CFA stays customer focused, and up to date with technology, software and systems and to remain relevant in these areas to our member businesses
Other duties and responsibilities will be assigned, as necessary. This role is subject to change, based upon the needs of the CFA, and its members.
ACCREDITATION AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- 7+ years' experience as a Controller or equivalent senior accounting/finance experience including managing the Finance Department with significant financial assets for a not-for-profit organization
- Bachelor's degree in a finance-related field, graduate degree/MBA preferred but not necessary
- CPA designation
- Quick Books Desktop, Quick Books Online, Microsoft office 365, database
- Excellent people skills, with experience collaborating in a multidisciplinary, diverse, and dynamic team and volunteers
- Experienced in legal, insurance, audit, compliance, and budgeting
- Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities, proposing new ways of creating efficiencies, and guiding investments in people and systems
- Proven effectiveness leading professionals in finance and accounting
- Flexible, a self-starter with a lot of initiative; able to multitask while also being highly detail-oriented
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including reporting to management and the Board of Directors including creating Board reports, presentations
- Demonstrated creative and flexible approach to problem solving
- Ability to ‘wear many hats’ and ‘jump in’ to help others on a small team – e.g. work registration desk at annual national convention, answer questions about the CFA at a consumer tradeshow, unload the dishwasher in the office
- Contract negotiation and contract management
- Ability to travel within Canada and the USA, as required
- A valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle is required
Please submit your resume and cover letter for review and consideration to Sherry McNeil at email@example.com.
The Canadian Franchise Association (CFA) is committed to a fair and inclusive work environment and seek talent with diversity of life experiences and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer that hires talent regardless of age, race, creed, colour, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, status as a protected veteran or any other legally protected grounds and will not discriminate on these bases.