Director of Finance and Administration - Ecuhome Corporation
Ecuhome exists to provide quality affordable housing and support for people who have experienced homelessness. Ecuhome reflects the diversity of our city, recognizes and respects the values of all people, and empowers tenants to regain their place in the community. Through their work, Ecuhome provides our tenants with the foundation for the life of their choosing, starting with an affordable home they can be proud of and can count on. We then work with tenants to lay the foundation for life skills that foster independence and confidence, meaningful activities and a sense of purpose and belonging, and a greater resilience to weather the challenges that face everyone – especially those living in poverty.
A leader, mentor, consensus-builder, strategic thinker with a bias to action and implementation; this would be how peers and colleagues describe you. You have a sense of humour, are happy and upbeat and, most of all, love to be around like-minded, capable individuals. You don’t mind rolling up your sleeves and are passionate about contributing to the success of the organization you work for.
You have a knack for financials and numbers and enjoy the minutia of financial statements and associated reporting. Ideally, you’ve worked at a Not for Profit, so you understand the unique nuances of the sector as it relates to financial reporting. You’ve been accountable for IT and you love learning new CRMs and don’t mind teaching others how to use them effectively. You also enjoy finding ways to innovate and use new technology to improve efficiency.
You’ve managed the HR function for your organization before (or have been close to the management of HR) and would be comfortable overseeing payroll and benefits.
You are known as a consummate professional, able to tactfully manage complex situations and to motivate and inspire colleagues. You are resilient and comfortable with ambiguity.
This is a replacement role; The successful candidate will report to Kate Bird, the Executive Director and will be a member of the Management Team. The Director of Finance and Administration is responsible for the sound administration of Ecuhome’s financial, business planning and budgeting, human resources, administrative, IT and risk management functions. As a part of the Management team, the successful candidate will work with their peers in Properties and Maintenance and Tenant Services to collectively achieve organizational goals and directly supervises the Manager of Finance and Administration, Executive Assistant, and Housing Support Coordinator - Tenancy.
Nature and Scope:
Planning, implementing and overseeing Ecuhome’s financial functions including long term and short term financial plans, accounting systems, financial analysis and reporting.
Planning, implementing and managing Ecuhome’s human resources functions including payroll and benefits administration, HR information systems, recruitment and retention, and training and development.
Overseeing administrative functions including support to the Board, procurement and purchasing, compliance with relevant legislation, regulation and funders’ requirements. Developing, administering, maintaining and evaluating information systems. Overseeing risk management functions.
Working as a key member of Ecuhome’s Management Team to collectively achieve organizational goals. Developing and implementing an annual work plan for Finance and Administration in keeping with a changing environment and evolving needs. Monitoring and evaluating the effectiveness of the organization’s finance and administrative services. Identifying and leading change as required.
Reporting on Finance and Administration to the Executive Director, Board and funders as required. Representing Ecuhome to funders, other service agencies and the community-at-large.
Developing partnerships to enhance the work of the organization.
Continuously improving professional knowledge. Monitoring trends and ensuring that those which impact finance and administration are taken into account as services are planned and implemented.
Planning, implementing and managing Ecuhome’s financial functions:
- Develops financial plans for the organization to meet short and long term financial obligations including a capital reserve plan.
- Develops annual budgets for review and approval of the Executive Director and Board of Directors.
- Identifies grants and alternate funding sources and prepares proposals for funding.
- Develops and maintains timely and accurate financial statements and reports, information from which sound business decisions can be made by the Board, Executive Director, and Management Team.
- Develops, implements and ensures compliance with internal financial and accounting policies and procedures.
- Ensures that all statutory requirements of the organization are met and reports prepared.
- Ensures that supporting information for the annual audit is prepared. Manages relationship with auditors.
- Develops, maintains, and administers accounting systems for cash management, accounts payable, accounts receivable, credit control.
- Manages relationship with financial institutions, reconciles bank records, and ensures that all payments are made in a promptly and recorded accurately.
- Ensure up to date records of all expenditure and income are kept and that the Management Team is informed about under or over spending.
- With the Management Team, develops policies to minimize vacancy loss and manage arrears.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures to ensure that financial information is secure and stored in compliance with current legislation.
- Liaises with the Treasurer and Finance Committee as appropriate.
Planning, implementing and managing Ecuhome’s human resources functions:
- Develops and implements systems and strategies that support the Management Team with recruitment and retention of staff, training and development, records management, employee and labour relations.
- Oversees payroll and benefits administration and steps in when necessary to administer payroll.
- Oversees HR files and information systems.
- Ensures compliance with relevant legislation, regulations and the collective agreement.
- Together with the Management Team, ensures appropriate policies and procedures are developed, communicated and implemented.
- Co- chairs Labour Management Committee.
- Monitors performance of the Health and Safety Committee.
Overseeing administrative functions of the organization:
- Supervises the Manager of Administration and the Executive Assistant.
- Ensures that the Executive Director, Board of Directors and committees of the Board receive the administrative support they require.
- Ensures compliance with relevant legislation, regulations and funders’ requirements.
- Oversees procurement and purchasing and negotiates mortgages, contracts and leases.
- Together with the ED, oversees and coordinates Ecuhome’s legal affairs.
Oversees information technology systems:
- Plans, administers, and maintains organization’s information systems and databases and ensures that up dates and improvements are made in relation to the changing needs of the organization.
- Oversees responses to organization’s IT needs and user support.
- Provides training and support to users of the systems.
- Continuously looks for innovative ways to improve efficiency through technology.
- Oversees and coordinates regular reviews of risk management policies and procedures to ensure that program and organizational risks are minimized.
- Advises Executive Director and Finance Committee on appropriate insurance coverage for the organization.
The Ideal Candidate
Our successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- University degree in Commerce, or Business Management/Administration
- Chartered Professional Accountant designation is required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Advanced knowledge of a variety of business software applications. Knowledge of NetSuite is an asset.
- Experience in administering a variety of business software applications and systems. Knowledge of Office 365 and Google Workspace is an asset.
- Knowledge of federal and provincial legislation affecting charities and non-profit organizations and experience in non-profit housing would be an asset.
- Knowledge of the regulatory framework for human resources administration.
- Supports Ecuhome’s mission and goals: Believes in the importance of non-profit organizations to the community and the value of social justice.
- Behaves Ethically: Understands ethical behaviour and business practices and ensures own behaviour is consistent with Ecuhome’s Code of Conduct and aligns with the values of the organization.
- Builds Relationships: Establishes and maintains positive working relationships with others both internally and externally to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Communicates Effectively: Speaks, listens and writes in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Focuses on Client Needs: Anticipates, understands, and responds to the needs of internal and external clients to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
- Fosters Teamwork: Works cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problem, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Leads: Positively influences others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
- Makes Decisions: Assesses situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and makes clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Organizes: Sets priorities, develops a work schedule, monitors progress in achieving goals, and tracks details, data, information and activities.
- Plans: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- Solves Problems: Assesses problem situations to identify causes, gathers and processes relevant information, generates possible solutions, and makes recommendations and/or resolves the problem.