Director of Development - St. Mary's General Hospital Foundation
Director of Development
Full Time- Permanent (Kitchener-Waterloo)
St. Mary’s General Hospital
Located in the heart of Kitchener, St. Mary’s is the second-largest acute care hospital in the St. Joseph’s Health System and a Regional Cardiac Care Centre. It proudly serves the residents of Waterloo, Wellington County, and extends its reach to Dufferin, Grey-Bruce, and beyond.
Its nearly 2,000 staff, physicians and volunteers provide excellent, compassionate care to hundreds of thousands of patients and families every year in its core areas of clinical focus: Cardiac Care (Regional Cardiac Centre), Respiratory Care (Level 1 Thoracic Surgery Centre), Outpatient (Day) Surgery, General Medicine, 24/7 Emergency Care.
St. Mary’s General Hospital Foundation is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to enhancing patient care at St. Mary’s General Hospital, through the funding of vital equipment and programs.
As ambassadors for the hospital, we commit to engaging the community and providing philanthropic support for both the present and future needs of St. Mary’s.
In addition to larger capital projects, St. Mary’s General Hospital relies upon the Foundation to provide funds each year to cover costs related to on-going replacement and enhancement of standard equipment, which is not covered by Government funding.
Reporting to the President of the Foundation and working in collaboration with the Foundation’s leadership, the Director of Development will lead, encourage, and motivate a donor focused Major Gift’s team. The successful candidate will work collaboratively to set key fundraising strategies for corporate sponsorship, major gifts, and the planned giving portfolios.
The Director of Development will have a personal passion and skill for securing principal gifts, building long-lasting relationships and ensuring a superior donor experience, and will work in partnership with the President, Board, and key leadership volunteers, to drive success. This role will work collaboratively with colleagues and team members across the organization and at all levels to achieve shared outcomes.
In this role, you will:
- Develop and implement a diversified and integrated major gift fundraising strategy, aligned with the Foundation’s strategic plan
- Provide leadership to staff to create a cohesive and integrated approach to fundraising in the areas of principal gifts, major gifts, planned giving, foundations, and corporate sponsorship
- Develop and maintain relationships with board and leadership volunteers, providing them with direct support in prospecting and solicitation activities
- Take on the key role in the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of major donors
- Actively manage a portfolio of top prospects and donors
- Ensure consistent and effective use of donor software (Raiser’s Edge) for decision-making and maximizing fundraising opportunities
- Establish performance measures, evaluate and monitor the success of major /planned giving fundraising strategies
- Model and believe in a highly collaborative approach across teams and at all levels of the organization to achieve success
Skills, Experience & Knowledge:
- Is a self-starter with a can-do attitude
- Able to motivate, provide mentorship, and build team infrastructure to support collaboration
- Has significant and progressive fundraising experience with a minimum of 5 - 7 years of experience in major gift fundraising in all aspects of philanthropy, with a proven track record in soliciting and closing gifts of $25,000 plus
- Experience working in 2 – 3 like-sized, not-for-profits (staffing complement is currently 10, asset base $14M)
- Ability to work proactively, managing competing priorities
- Subscribes to donors as “investors” philosophy – an ROI mindset
- Raiser’s Edge preferred
- Lives and breathes the team player mentality - willing to roll up your sleeves and pitch in as needed
- A Bachelor’s degree or community college diploma
- Demonstrated commitment to the non-profit sector
Above all, we are looking for a great team player with the ability to contribute quickly and with enthusiasm towards the donor-centered fundraising approach.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume and cover letter in one document/attachment by email.
Closing date: August 28th 2020.
We thank all applicants for applying; however, only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
St. Mary’s General Hospital Foundation
911 Queen’s Boulevard
Kitchener, ON N2M 1B2