Director of Communications - Stephen Lewis Foundation
DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS
The Stephen Lewis Foundation (SLF) is a dynamic, collaborative, feminist organization with an unwavering commitment to supporting grassroots organizations across Africa in countries hardest hit by the AIDS pandemic. The work unfolding in these communities is ground-breaking, as lives are rebuilt, rights are reclaimed and resilience re-forged. We are passionately committed to our partnerships and this model of working is infused into the fabric of our day-to-day work.
The Stephen Lewis Foundation partners with community-based organizations that are turning the tide of the HIV and AIDS pandemic in sub-Saharan Africa by providing care and support to women, orphaned children, grandmothers and people living with HIV and AIDS and LQBTIQ communities. Since 2003, the SLF has funded over 1700 initiatives, partnering with more than 325 community-based organizations.
Reporting to the Executive Director and as a member of the senior leadership team, the Director of Communications will be responsible for all aspects of communication to the public and media, including raising the Foundation’s visibility to grow revenue, advancing its profile with Canadians and the international community, and increasing understanding of its mission. It is the Director’s task to ensure that the ideological approach of the SLF to partnering with organizations in sub-Saharan Africa is powerfully articulated and reflected in all communications materials. It is also essential that the voices and expertise of our African partners be at the centre of all communications.
Leading a small team of communication professionals, the director will be responsible, not only for setting strategy and plans but also for undertaking daily communications tasks including writing and editing and media outreach.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the development of a multi-year communications strategy to drive public engagement and donations amongst existing and new audiences in line with the broader organizational strategy.
- Raise visibility and awareness of the Foundation’s work and distinct approach to partnering with community-based organizations in sub-Saharan Africa and increase understanding of and support for the distinctive work of the Foundation through effective and consistent messaging that reflects the values of the organization.
- As part of the Senior Leadership team, contribute to the stability and growth of the Foundation and the achievement of the organizational strategic plan.
- Develop a strategy to increase the Foundation’s digital reach and engagement, including through the use of online marketing.
- Develop an annual communications operational plan and budget that reflects the Foundation’s strategic and fundraising objectives, and lead implementation.
- Provide leadership, expertise and support for communications activities across the Foundation using multiple channels and platforms.
- Oversee and contribute to the development of print, multimedia and digital communications, including website, videos, newsletters and social media.
- Working collaboratively with other teams, lead the development of key messages and story telling approaches to ensure consistency in communications and voice from across the organization.
- Consistently work to identify or anticipate emerging trends and informational needs.
- Actively cultivate and manage media relationships to ensure coverage of issues of strategic importance to the Foundation.
- Identify and support appropriate Foundation spokesperson(s) for media.
- Provide support for internal communications and information-sharing within the Foundation.
- Manage a small team of professional employees and external consultants.
- Increase staff capacity through a supportive and collaborative approach.
- Oversee activities, performance, and development goals; manage accountability and establish priorities for the Communications team and/or consultants as needed.
Skills and Experience
- Approximately 7-10 years of experience in managing communications, public relations, media relations, or marketing communications.
- At least 5 years of experience in the non-profit sector or with an international organization, (some focus on countries on the African continent or regions in the global south a major asset).
- Excellent writing and editing skills are essential, as well as comfort with public speaking.
- Experience leading development and delivery of successful end-to-end strategic communications plans, including budget oversight, from one-off events to ongoing relationship management with diverse stakeholders.
- Managing and leading a team of professional employees and a range of external consultants.
- Understanding of effective use of social media and other digital platforms.
- Highly organized and able to multitask at a high level.
- Ability to maintain focus on key objectives while remaining highly flexible and responsive.
- Ability to exercise strategic, ‘big picture’ and long-term thinking.
- Demonstration of good judgment and independent thinking.
- Ability to relate and provide feedback diplomatically to various constituencies.
- Comprehensive knowledge of issues surrounding HIV and AIDS is a major asset.
- Personal commitment to the values of feminism, anti-racism, anti-colonialism, social justice, solidarity, gender equality and collaboration.
- Fluency in written and oral French will be an asset.
Reports to: Executive Director
Those wishing to apply please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note “Director of Communications” in the email subject line.
The closing date for this position is August 31st, 2020 at midnight.
Please do not call or email the Foundation about this posting. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please note that due to COVID-19 the recruitment process will be conducted virtually via-zoom meetings.
The Stephen Lewis Foundation promotes feminist and anti-oppression principles. Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.
The Stephen Lewis Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. Thank you for your interest.