Director of Clinical Services - SHIP
Organization: SHIP: Services & Housing In The Province
Title: Director of Clinical Services
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Location: 969 Derry Road East, Unit 107 | Mississauga, ON L5T 2J7
Is this you?
You are a clinical expert in mental health and addictions. You are known within the mental health community and have dedicated your career to clinical excellence. You ideally started out on the front line, so you fundamentally understand and appreciate direct service delivery. Having had this experience, you bring instant credibility to your team and to the recommendations you make on behalf of your organization.
You are highly accomplished not only in your career but in your academic track record. You are constantly re-tooling and learning. You are driven by a person-centric approach to quality, safety, and service excellence.
Your passion is to help vulnerable people living with mental illness and addictions. You understand and believe that access to affordable, safe, and reliable housing is a cornerstone to an overall healthy life and are curious about the intersectionality the two present.
You love leading and mentoring a diverse, large, and high performing team. You lead from behind, you mentor, listen, and encourage your team to put clients first! You promote ideas at the senior leadership table and rely on them to continually strive for excellence.
You have managed a profit and loss statement and know how to stay on budget. You have a respect for business planning and have been part of the development of a strategic plan. Including working with a Board of Directors (either directly or indirectly), community leaders and partner organizations.
You are at a point in your career where you are ready to turn up the heat. It is time to grow, stretch and be an agent for change as it relates to mental health impact and housing access in our province. You want to be part of a team that is continually reaching for more, setting the standard in the sector for best practices and regarded as best in class.
Comfortable with ambiguity, you are a senior leader who knows your area of expertise inside and out. You are ready to have a seat at the leadership table where your voice will be heard, respected and championed.
Does this sound like you? Read on...
Services and Housing In the Province (SHIP) is a Provincial leader in the broader public sector that builds strategic partnerships and programs that support the fundamental rights for Housing and Health Services throughout the Peel Region, Dufferin County and surrounding areas.
SHIP began as an organization dedicated to providing housing and hope, despite a less than favourable social climate in the early 1980s. SHIP opened a small townhouse in Mississauga, to provide housing for five individuals with mental health issues. Within two years, SHIP had opened Parsons Place in Brampton, a small group home that housed eight residents. Four years later, a second group home, Hammond House in Mississauga, was opened to provide housing for another eight tenants.
Compassionate and proactive members of the community began to pull together in support of SHIP’s efforts. The Peel Mental Health Housing Coalition brought together SHIP, Salvation Army, ReLink, regional housing providers and local hospital staff. In 1984, the Region of Peel was approached to support SHIP’s continued efforts to house clients in the community. Their long-standing support continues to make a difference. In 1992 SHIP was incorporated as an independent agency. Partnerships with community organizations were established and every effort was made to earn the recognition and respect of hospitals and other mental health service providers.
A significant shift in philosophy embraced the attitude that we are all created equal. Clients were invited to participate in the development of programs and were involved in all levels of the decision-making process. Today, SHIP remains a person-centered, person-focused organization. They actively continue to expand their capacity to provide health services and housing support to the communities they serve. Read more about SHIP here.
Why Work For SHIP?
Quality Housing, Quality Services, Quality Lives
To increase quality of life through health services and housing supports that promote mental and physical health and wellness
Leader and innovative partner in the community. Our programs welcome employees into our caring, compassionate, and innovative culture. We listen, we know what it means, and why it matters.
People are at the forefront of our success. These are just a few ways we ensure your personal and professional success:
- Competitive Salary (benefits) with Annual Performance Reviews
- Travel Allowances
- Training & Development Programs, Committees
- 12 Paid Sick Days Annually
Years focused on Clients, Tenants, Staff and Families
Clients and Residents served annually
Programs and Service offerings in Southern Ontario
Dedicated, Respectful, Compassionate and Professional Employees
Housing Units Managed
The Director of Clinical Services is a senior leadership position within the organization. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Director of Clinical Services will oversee a team of program managers and an indirect team over 50+ staff. The Director will provide clinical leadership in the planning, execution, monitoring and evaluation of services. They will drive the clinical agenda through measurable strategies and initiatives that accelerate progress toward deepening the health outcomes of SHIP’s clients.
As it relates to team oversight, they will lead program managers within their portfolio who support individual service areas. Ideally, they will have some union experience. The successful candidate will work cross functionally in partnership with other SHIP departments and implement specific initiatives that support the overall organizational strategy. The role will build and maintain relationships with key external partners to ensure SHIP clients and their families receive integrated, high quality and safe services.
The successful candidate will be a clinical expert in mental health. Ideally, they will have had experience in housing and will have worked front line in a service delivery capacity. They will have overseen a team of varying complexity and size and will be comfortable leading and mentoring remote staff. The successful candidate will be future focused and evidence-based and will believe in the principals of housing first. They will drive a recovery-oriented service approach and will have the ability to inspire and create a strong culture.
Our successful candidate will be diplomatic, comfortable managing various stakeholders including external partners and will possess a high level of tact and polish.
The successful Candidate will be accountable for the following:
- Integrates SHIPs vision, mission, and values into their program area
- Translates strategic goals into practical actions
- Provides leadership and direction to the organization in the provision of clinical services by fostering and promoting new initiatives and interpreting and implementing best practices related to housing and support
- Lead service teams to meet objectives and program requirements
- Member and/or Lead Member of key Committees including but not limited to Clinical Leadership Committee, Strategic Planning, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Committee and more
- Builds and supports sustainable and productive relationships with all individuals including staff, senior management, the community, clients, and families
- Assists in the design, implementation, and evaluation of care delivery models
- Defines and assesses factors that have the potential to create risk
- Establishes and monitors performance measures
- Directs quality improvement by identifying and implementing changes in work process that produce measurable improvements
- Applies information gathered through data analysis to assist in system planning and resource allocation
- Acts as a key member in the collaborative design, development, roll out and operations of current and new programs and initiatives
- Serves as project lead or participant in SHIP community initiatives and system integration projects
- Participates in external committees on service initiatives, and liaises with other regional service providers to promote seamless transition to services
- Ensures high quality services and client, family, and staff safety
The Ideal Candidate
Our successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Post-Secondary Degree in related health care such as Social Work or Nursing (Masters is an asset/preferred)
- 5+ years’ experience working in a Management/leadership role overseeing a Program/Service/team/s
- Proven background/experience displaying positive outcomes based upon objectives
- Extensive related experience in housing and health programs
- Extensive experience in a managerial capacity
- Demonstrated effective leadership skills
- Evidence of experience with implementing evidenced based practices
- Excellent verbal/written communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical, organizational and project management skills
- Demonstrated ability to work without direct supervision in a team environment
- Project Management and program development experience
- Demonstrated ability to assist clients, family members or other clients with concern and empathy, respecting their confidentiality and privacy and communicating in a courteous and respectful manner
- Highly flexible, with solid interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse working environment
SHIP hires based on merit and is strongly committed to equality, inclusion, and diversity within its community and to a welcoming and inclusive workplace. SHIP especially welcomes applications from Indigenous persons, visible minority group members, women, persons with disabilities, people of all sexual orientations and genders, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
If you are looking for an outstanding challenge, working with a great team for a very important, uniquely focused organization then what are you waiting for? Apply by emailing your application to Lindsay Preston at Lindsay@phcap.ca Please include a Cover Letter and your CV. Please note the application deadline is Friday August 28, 2020.
We thank you for your interest in this opportunity. Please note only qualified respondents will be contacted.