Director, Finance - Blue Door
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Director, Finance plans, directs and coordinates all finance functions of the agency, including financial planning, budgeting and reporting, funder financial reporting, bookkeeping/payroll functions, and IT/Communications. The Director, Finance will be responsible for the preparation of funder reports, budgets, work closely with external auditors, keep track of spending and deferred funding (based on funding agreements), programs and donations and assist Resource Development to prepare funding applications, budgets.
The incumbent will be responsible for Blue Door’s financial functions, funder agreements and provide direction and support to the Senior Manager, Finance as required, or in their absence. The incumbent will perform other duties as may be required to ensure smooth operation within the organization, such as the IT upgrade in 2021.
The Director, Finance is responsible to have a comprehensive understanding and practical knowledge of the roles and duties of both the Senior Manager, Finance and Bookkeeper for continuity or should they need to act in an unplanned absence.
Plan, direct and coordinate financial support to Blue Door
- Ensure the smooth operation of both day-to-day financial functions as well as strategic and overall organizational finances and obligations.
- Oversee financial systems and utilization.
- Establish/modify financial policies to support Blue Door.
- Provide direction to the Senior Manager, Finance in the full range of accounting and financial functions.
- Directly manage the Senior Manager, Finance and provide constructive feedback.
- Work with Legal Counsel and Quality Assurance Manager to manage funder contracts and reporting.
- Manage the development of annual budgets.
- Lead annual audit activities for Agency operations and funder requirements.
- Ensure all the mandatory reporting submissions are prepared in an accurate and timely manner for various stakeholders (Board of Directors, Funders, Government, etc.)
- Maintain sound financial management practices and formal controls for various financial practices, including: bank accounts, cheque control, retention of records, donations, use of credit cards, asset inventory, etc.
- Maintain inventory of assets and depreciation schedules.
- Report to COO on variances from the established budgets, and the reasons for those variances.
- Prepares monthly and quarterly financial statements, monitor all revenue and expenditure trends and discuss with COO on overall financial stability of Blue Door.
- Cash management including movement of funds available for GIC investment.
- Generate reports as required by management.
- Assists COO with all confidential secretarial functions as required.
- Work closely with COO and senior management in preparation of funding reports, budget submission, budgets for RFPs and grant submissions.
- Assemble, liaise and provide necessary financial information to key funders in a timely manner, in consultation with COO.
- Review coding of program accounts payable invoices, expense reports, and credit card accounts for payment.
- Develop and institute a project accounting system.
- Maintain accurate records of Accounts Receivable related to funder agreements.
- Maintain a well-organized accounting and finance filing system (including budgets, reports, etc) on Blue Door’s shared drive.
- Prepare journal entries related to allocation of program funding, maintain and reconcile deferred funding balance sheet accounts.
- Report on variances from the established program budgets, and the reasons for those variances.
- Monitor all revenue and expenditure trends and work with management to spend on agreement schedules.
- Prepare all necessary documents related to all sources of funding, for external annual audit, coordinate audit and record appropriate adjustments and year-end entries, liaise with external auditors.
- Monitor and oversee the receipt of financial information from partner agencies to ensure seamless reporting to relevant funders.
- Assist in the development and implementation of policies, priorities, and procedures relating to program funding and maintain a procedure manual for finance tasks.
- Assists, as required, with internal audits involving review of accounting and administrative controls.
- Comply with all provincial and federal government reporting and legal requirements. Stay abreast of funder requirements and advise the Chief Operating Officer of needed actions.
Plan, direct and coordinate information technology functions
- Manage all IT contracts at Blue Door.
- Be the point of contact for IT requests and liaise with external provider.
- Lead IT planning and infrastructure enhancement projects.
- Assess IT current and future needs and ensure appropriate replacement and disaster recovery strategies are in place.
- Lead IT inventory management.
- Establish/modify information technology policies and procedures to reflect the business approaches of Blue Door.
- Oversee/ manage/enhance information technology systems, guidelines and policies at all Blue Door sites. Ensure consistent practices at all three shelter locations.
- Work with Human Resource Director in developing appropriate training for staff in relation to IT changes.
- Other duties as assigned.
Respect and Professionalism
- Maintain professionalism in the workplace.
- Working cooperatively alongside and supporting all Blue Door team members and departments.
- Adherence to the mission, vision, policies and procedures of the agency.
- Able and willing to promote harm reduction practices in accordance with core standards. • Attend internal staff meetings and staff training as required.
- Maintain the confidentiality of all client and agency information.
- Utilizes effective conflict resolution skills in accordance with (Crisis Prevention Intervention (CPI) training.
- Fosters positive and appropriate relationships with clients, colleagues, community partners and volunteers.
- Provides referrals and follow-up as necessary.
- Meets with Senior Manager, Finance on a regular basis and participates in completion of annual performance evaluation.
Occupational Health & Safety
- All employees are responsible for carrying out work in a way that does not adversely affect their own health and safety and that of others.
- All employees shall learn and understand health and safety policies and procedures and will comply with them.
- Post-secondary education in a related field.
- CPA designation.
- Canadian Payroll Certification an asset.
- Five (5) years accounting or finance administration experience in NFP. Experience of payroll within a unionized environment would be an asset.
- Advanced knowledge of SAGE accounting software and MS Office with emphasis on Excel applications and reports. Familiarity with Outlook and Internet applications.
- Experience with file and database management.
- Proven superior customer service skills.
- Excellent communication (oral and written), time management and organizational skills.
- Able to work independently but also as part of a team.
- Sound judgment, tact and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Understanding of issues relating to homelessness.
- Ability to deal with extremely confidential and sensitive information.
- Understanding and promotion of anti-oppressive practices.
- Valid Vulnerable Sector Screening Report from York Regional Police.
- Knowledge and skills assessment tests will be used pre-employment to evaluate potential candidates.
In keeping with our ongoing efforts to promote equity and reflect the diversity of York Region, we encourage applications from Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, LGBT, members of visible minorities and women.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and Blue Doors AODA Policy, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
All applications will be reviewed as received, and interviews will begin for qualified candidates as soon as possible. The position may be filled before this job posting ends. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Human Resources: email@example.com