Director, Development - Fraser Valley - BC Cancer Foundation
The BC Cancer Foundation is the fundraising partner of BC Cancer and the largest charitable funder for cancer research in B.C. Every dollar we raise stays right here at BC Cancer to advance research and enhance care for the people of B.C.
With almost 80 employees working across 6 sites in B.C we are actively working with our 100,000 donors and communities to inspire investment in BC Cancer and our provincial teams of world-leading researchers, oncologists and care providers.
We are a professional, passionate and positive team who believe that we can help make a difference in the lives of all British Columbians.
About the Opportunity:
The Director, Development, Fraser Valley is accountable for developing the overall strategic direction and leading the planning, delivery and evaluation of a comprehensive development program for the BC Cancer Foundation, Fraser Valley region. In carrying out this responsibility, each of the vehicles of fund-raising - annual giving, major gifts, planned giving and donor experience will be used in a disciplined, interrelated manner that will assure maximum public recognition and fundraising for the BC Cancer Foundation. This position provides overall leadership in operational planning, donations and data management and analysis, people leadership, and finance and administration for the Fraser Valley region. The individual has specific accountability for the development, implementation and management of a proactive major and planned gift program including related stewardship activities, the identification, recruitment, support and management of volunteers.
Responsibilities will include:
- Leads the planning, delivery and evaluation of the Fraser Valley region’s annual Operational Plan, inclusive of annual giving, major and planned gifts, events, donor recognition and stewardship, and community relations. The Plan will build on the Fraser Valley regions past fund-raising successes and current opportunities. The plan will include future directions for the Region's development program; setting out key strategies and objectives that will be undertaken to realize and support the Foundation's mission, vision, values, goals and strategic initiatives.
- Participates in the development of the overall Foundation case for support with special responsibility for the development of the Fraser valley elements of the case.
- Works closely with the Director, Operations to plan feasibility studies, and lead project management and execution of future/potential campaigns in the region.
- Leads the preparation, approval, implementation and management the Region's annual budget for all development programs, campaigns and activities, as part of the total Foundation's annual budget.
- Provides leadership to the staff and volunteers within the Region, creating an environment that will stimulate and motivate them to contribute their full potential to the realization of the Foundation's overall goals and objectives.
- Is the key contact and partner for the Fraser Valley, BC Cancer Site leadership teams, builds strong and collaborative working relationships to ensure alignment and support for fundraising activity.
- Works closely with the Foundation's Marketing and Communications team to ensure consistency and clarity in provincial and regional messaging and external communications that supports positive positioning of BC Cancer and the Foundation to all constituents.
- In conjunction with Development operations team, works to ensure the development and implementation of Foundation wide procedures and systems to ensure efficient and effective operations
- Develops and implements a comprehensive plan for the identification, cultivation and solicitation of major gift donors.
- Directs regional research activities and analysis of data to identify, qualify and build linkages with prospective major gift donors and partners
- Develops and maintains an excellent working knowledge of BC Cancer
- Represents the BC Cancer Foundation, when requested, at official meetings and functions as required.
- Supports other Provincial fundraising initiatives and projects on an as needed basis which may include fundraising support for our largest mass participation event, The Ride to Conquer Cancer, developing Corporate Relationships to support our Corporate Relations strategy, supporting targeting fundraising activity and campaigns within the Development team.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage fundraising programs including securing significant gifts
- A degree or diploma from a recognized post-secondary institution in a related field, plus a minimum of 10 years’ experience in fundraising / donor relations, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
Core knowledge + skills:
- Demonstrated ability to develop, implement and manage a comprehensive development program, with an emphasis on major gifts and planned giving.
- Specialized knowledge of sophisticated fundraising programs particularly in Major Gifts
- Keen interest in new and innovative ideas for research and pipeline management
- Experience and demonstrated strength in leading and motivating a team
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to provide clear executive information
- Demonstrated initiative, creativity, effectiveness and organizational skills and the ability to work well and within timelines
- Proven ability to set and accomplish goals/objectives, and establish priorities with minimal direction.
- Extensive knowledge of and ability to effectively interact with senior level business and community leaders.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills. Ability to work effectively with major donors, volunteers, Foundation staff, senior administrators, physicians, scientists and BC Cancer staff.
- Uses sound judgment and maturity in dealings with various constituents.
- Demonstrated professionalism and tact in handling highly sensitive and confidential information ethically; adhering to professional standards and protecting the confidential information of BCCF and BC Cancer
- A knowledge of sophisticated fundraising software programs, preferably Raiser’s Edge would be an advantage
- Uphold and contribute to BCCF’s values of Professional, Passionate, and Positivity
- A valid BC Driver's license and own transportation.
BC Cancer Foundation is committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity & inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, language, national or Indigenous origin, family or marital status, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation or socio-economic status.