Digital Technologist - David Suzuki Foundation
Join the largest environmental organization in Canada and become an agent of change!
About the David Suzuki Foundation
We find solutions for living within the limits of nature. Through a combination of sound science and active public engagement, we seek to motivate Canadians to take action on the environmental challenges we collectively face. Our Foundation is an independent charity, supported by over 30,000 donors from across Canada and abroad. With headquarters in Vancouver and offices in Toronto and Montreal, we address issues from coast to coast to coast, in both official languages. With the support of scientists, academics, progressive businesses, governments, non-governmental organizations and tens of thousands of Canadian we aim to achieve this vision: That within a generation Canadians act on the understanding that we are interconnected and interdependent with nature, and with each other.
You can learn more about us at www.davidsuzuki.org
The David Suzuki Foundation hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equality and diversity within its community and to a welcoming and inclusive workplace. We especially welcome applications from Indigenous persons, visible minority group members, women, persons with disabilities, people of all sexual orientations and genders, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Position Title: Digital Technologist
Terms: Permanent, full-time (34 hours / 4-day week)
Location: Based at our Vancouver Office
Reporting to: Web, Email & Analytics Manager, Digital & Technology Department
About the role:
- Are you a recent digital technology professional looking for that next challenge to move you along on your digital career path?
- Are you passionate about saving the planet and want to put your technical skills toward a good cause?
- Would you like to be part of a team that focuses on the continuous improvement and deployment of digital technologies, and best practices, in order to support protecting nature’s diversity and the well-being of all life, now and for the future?
We are a group of exceptionally talented, bright, and passionate people working at making a real difference in the world. We are currently looking for a committed, collaborative and solution-orientated Digital Technologist to join the Digital & Technology, team of nine, headquartered in Vancouver.
A typical day:
- This role involves working with multiple teams and digital platforms; no day looks the same. A multi-talented generalist who enjoys variety, working cross-functionally and using multiple technology tools, and platforms to create innovative solutions is well suited to this role.
- You work closely with the fundraising team to improve the user experience for online donations and support key revenue generating campaigns throughout the year
- You also work collaboratively with campaigners across the country to further the missions of campaigns through technical, innovative solutions for advocacy and acquisition
- With your eye for detail you provide user experience (UX) expertise, and execute testing, to improve the online, and email, experience for our supporters, optimizing for conversion, and following industry best practices
Digital platforms technical ownership:
- Under guidance of the web manager, provide internal technical ownership, and subject matter expertise, for off-the-shelf digital advocacy, marketing, fundraising and ecommerce tools currently in use by the DSF. Tools include, but are not limited to: Marketo, Wishpond, NewMode, Artez, Shopify, Eventbrite, and WordPress.
- Manage configurations of these platforms and technical integrations to other platforms
- Provide front-end design, styling and development of any changes to forms and user interfaces of these tools
- Work with supporting vendors to scope out technical improvements, and provide fixes in a timely manner, in order to meet the ongoing needs of the DSF
- Point-person for all technical support regarding these platforms, both for internal users and when contacted with issues by external constituents
- Provide training support on these tools for internal users
- Assess and optimize digital platforms, with a view to consolidating and simplifying the tech stack in-use at the DSF
- Evaluate new digital technologies and platforms to meet growing needs of the DSF
- Set up new digital platforms and tools, ensuring the users’ needs are met, the tools are properly tested, internal training is delivered and all corresponding documentation is created
- Provide digital campaign support to the program and fundraising teams where the above platforms are involved
Focus on user experience, testing and usability:
- Subject matter expertise on usability, user experience (UX), conversion optimization and usability best practices
- Propose, design, develop and execute tests based on this expertise to optimize the website and email templates for conversion
- Support continuous improvement of email programs and the DSF website by supporting ongoing testing efforts
Digital content management and execution:
- Where required, support the web content specialist and email manager with posting web content to the DSF website and sending emails to the DSF community
Skills, Experience and Knowledge Required
- Undergraduate degree (or equivalent qualification) in computer science, information technology, digital technology or a related discipline is required
- At least 1 year of relevant work experience, including hands-on experience of web development (HTML, CSS, JS and jQuery)
- Proven background with the application of user experience (UX) and testing methodologies
- Subject matter expertise of web technologies, user experience, testing and accessibility
- Experience with WordPress considered an asset
- Superb written and spoken English language skills. French is an asset.
What you bring to the role:
- Committed, dynamic, creative problem solver who can right-size solutions to scale of problem
- Skilled collaborator, both internally with staff and externally with vendors
- Self-starter with strong attention to detail
- Curious. Open to learning and being coached. Receptive to feedback and adaptive
- Wants to improve skill set and develop professionally
- A positive team player who thrives and works well in a busy, deadline-driven and information-rich workplace
- Excellent communication skills
Please submit your cover letter and your resume online by going to http://www.davidsuzuki.org/about/employment/. The position will remain open until filled. Only qualified applicants will be contacted. We recognize the importance of a diversified workforce, and we encourage women, First Nations, Inuit and Metis candidates, members of visible minorities and persons with disabilities to apply.