Diabetes Nurse Educator - WellFort Community Health Services
WellFort Community Health Services is a non-profit, values based organization based in Peel. We provide a wide variety of comprehensive care including primary care, dental, mental health and chronic disease management with a focus on illness prevention, health promotion and community development.
We work with local residents and other agencies to increase community capacity. WellFort is committed to providing inclusive, accessible and sustainable programs and services to a diversely rich community.
Members of the WellFort Family include:
- Bloom Clinic
- Bramalea Community Health Centre
- Diabetes Education Program
- Four Corners Health Centre
- Health n’ Smiles
WellFort is a respectful, caring, and inclusive organization. We are committed to embracing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation due to disability can be made at any stage in the recruitment process.
- This position will require a mix between virtual and on site care.
- Provider will plan and implement meaningful virtual activities, and events using digital platforms (i.e., Zoom).
- Use motivational interviewing techniques and adult learning principles to facilitate learning and support patient’s self- management goals, virtually and face to face.
- Collaborates with patients and other health professionals to evaluate patient progress toward achieving diabetes management goals, both verbally and through written documentation.
- Demonstrates expertise in diabetes management in all aspects of patient care.
- Recognizes and deals with medical emergencies that arise in the Diabetes Education Program.
- Contributes to overall program planning and development.
- Working in an interdisciplinary team using a client centered and self-management approach, the Diabetes Nurse Educator (DNE) provides assessment, monitoring, and counseling for clients with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes.
- Plans, and in conjunction with community partners, implements and promotes community-based diabetes prevention and management programs.
- Working at WellFort and various off-site locations within the Brampton and Malton communities.
- Facilitates group diabetes education sessions.
- Conducts nursing assessments, which include completion of a medical and social history, encompassing such factors as psychosocial, economic, functional and family status.
- Provides individual counselling to clients utilizing a self-management approach, thus working collaboratively with clients to work towards client identified goals.
- Ensures continuity of care by maintaining up-to date electronic medical records, communication with the client’s primary health care provider and other service providers, as required.
- Initiates referrals to other service providers, community agencies/partners/programs, as appropriate.
- Initiates and titrates insulin when required.
- Provides health related equipment or supplies to clients, and educates on proper use.
- Practices within the Mission, Vision and Values of WellFort.
- Diploma or degree in nursing from a recognized community college or university. Baccalaureate degree an asset.
- Registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario and in good standing.
- Preferred 2 years’ experience as a diabetes educator providing individual counselling in a community setting.
- Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE®) designation preferred or in process, or willingness to acquire it within 2 years.
- Experience working with communities and individuals who face barriers accessing traditional health care institutions such as poverty, discrimination, mental health and substance use issues.
- An understanding of and critical analysis of the determinants of health and social factors.
- Excellent written communication and oral skills that meet the needs of the individual and/or community at the appropriate literacy level.
- Experience working with confidential and time sensitive documents and information.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to multi task in a fast paced environment.
- Experience working in a value based non-profit or social services organization.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and interdependently in an interdisciplinary team environment.
- Demonstrated proficiency in use of computers and various computer software applications, such as Electronic Medical Record (EMR).
- Proficiency in using virtual meeting platforms and creating meaningful activities and presentations that can help in education sessions.
- Ability to speak languages relevant to the residents of the organization’s community is an asset.
- Hold a valid Ontario driver’s licence, and access to a reliable vehicle with insurance.
The successful candidate will demonstrate a willingness to participate in WellFort’s commitment to becoming an inclusive, barrier-free health centre and an ability to work in an interdisciplinary team.
This position requires flexibility in hours of work to support accessible program service delivery and our hours of operation. As such the position entails some evening and weekend work.
For more information visit: www.WellFort.ca.
Salary range: $62,831- $74,148
- Forward your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
- Deadline of application: open until filled
- Quote “DEPRN0421” in the subject line
- No phone calls please. Successful candidates will be contacted